Re: Matthew Nicol & Charlotte Leask

  • Alison Kennedy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
      Hi Mary,
      The following may be of some assistance. Charlotte's death certificate said the cause of death was unknown, but this gives you a little more information on the event of her death.
      The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, February 4, 1857:
      SUDDEN DEATH - On Sunday evening, Mrs Matthew Nicol, while sitting in her accustomed seat in the Methodist Chapel, was suddenly seized with cramp of the heart. She rose to go out, leaning as she went on the backs of the pews, but she had gone no further that the stair in the inside of the chapel, when she fell down, and, before assistance could reach her, the vital spark had fled. - Peterhead Sentinel.

      I don't know if there is a connection with your Matthew Nicol to the following one.

      East Aberdeenshire Observer, August 21, 1890:

      BANKRUPTCY OF FISHCURERS - A petition was presented at Peterhead Sheriff Court on Friday for the discharge in bankruptcy of Matthew Nicol, formerly fishcurers, Peterhead. Mr H. B. Mitchell, solicitor, stated that although a dividend of only 3s 6d per £ had been paid, the reports of the trustee and the accountant in bankruptcy were of a favourable character, and the failure of the bankrupt being reported to be chiefly owing to the inevitable disasters to the herring fishing industry in which he was engaged. Sheriff Brown said he would look into the documents. Mr Mitchell also, on behalf of Messrs Alexander & Martin, lodged applications for the discharge of the trustees in the sequestration of J. Burnett, John Gordon, and George Davidson, all fishcurers in Fraserburgh.

      From Constitution Street Cemetery, Peterhead:

      Erected by Thomas Robertson, Shipmaster, Dundee, in memory of his beloved wife Janet McIntosh, who died 11th Novr., 1883, aged 24 years.

      (In front of stone above) In memory of Helen McIntosh, beloved wife of Matthew Nicol, died 6th Oct. 1898, aged 28 years.

      Alison

    • yetidavidson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2007
        Hi Mary,

        Janet McIntosh was born on 4 September 1859 Peterhead, the daughter
        of William McIntosh and Helen Coull.

        Given what you said about Helen McIntosh's year of death as 1893 (age
        stated as 28), then this is likely to be Janet's sister who was born
        on 28th October 1864 (actual age would have been almost 27?)

        Helen Coull married twice - her second husband was Russell Watt - my
        gg grandparents.

        There's more information in my message posted in March 2006 under the
        subject "William Salmon".

        Ian

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Kennedy"
        <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mary,
        > The following may be of some assistance. Charlotte's death
        certificate said the cause of death was unknown, but this gives you a
        little more information on the event of her death.
        > The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, February 4, 1857:
        > SUDDEN DEATH - On Sunday evening, Mrs Matthew Nicol, while sitting
        in her accustomed seat in the Methodist Chapel, was suddenly seized
        with cramp of the heart. She rose to go out, leaning as she went on
        the backs of the pews, but she had gone no further that the stair in
        the inside of the chapel, when she fell down, and, before assistance
        could reach her, the vital spark had fled. - Peterhead Sentinel.

        > I don't know if there is a connection with your Matthew Nicol to
        the following one.

        > East Aberdeenshire Observer, August 21, 1890:
        >
        > BANKRUPTCY OF FISHCURERS - A petition was presented at Peterhead
        Sheriff Court on Friday for the discharge in bankruptcy of Matthew
        Nicol, formerly fishcurers, Peterhead. Mr H. B. Mitchell, solicitor,
        stated that although a dividend of only 3s 6d per £ had been paid,
        the reports of the trustee and the accountant in bankruptcy were of a
        favourable character, and the failure of the bankrupt being reported
        to be chiefly owing to the inevitable disasters to the herring
        fishing industry in which he was engaged. Sheriff Brown said he
        would look into the documents. Mr Mitchell also, on behalf of Messrs
        Alexander & Martin, lodged applications for the discharge of the
        trustees in the sequestration of J. Burnett, John Gordon, and George
        Davidson, all fishcurers in Fraserburgh.

        > From Constitution Street Cemetery, Peterhead:
        >
        > Erected by Thomas Robertson, Shipmaster, Dundee, in memory of his
        beloved wife Janet McIntosh, who died 11th Novr., 1883, aged 24 years.

        > (In front of stone above) In memory of Helen McIntosh, beloved wife
        of Matthew Nicol, died 6th Oct. 1898, aged 28 years.

        > Alison

      • Mary Barnes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2007
          Hi Ian,
          I knew that Helen McIntosh had two sisters, Janet Phillips McIntosh and
          Jane Salmon McIntosh. The age given on her death certificate is 28. By
          my calculations, she was three weeks short of 29 when she died
          (20/10/1864 - 6/10/1893).

          Matthew Nicol (b 1861) also married twice. Helen was his first wife,
          and died 4 years after they married. His second wife was Janet
          Chalmers, my grandmother. Among other things, I'm interested in where
          they lived. At the time of her marriage, Helen lived at Clifton
          Cottage, 70 King Street, Peterhead, the home of her aunt Jane McIntosh,
          who was married to William Salmon. The Salmon name was continued -
          Matthew and Helen's son was named William Salmon Nicol. As you pointed
          out (March 2006), Helen lived most of her life with her aunt after her
          mother remarried.

          Matthew (formerly a Fish Curer) had been discharged from bankruptcy
          only a month earlier, so can't have had much money and it seems that
          the newly-weds moved in with Jane and William Salmon. Clifton Cottage
          is a substantial detached house, on what would at that time have been
          the outskirts of Peterhead. The 1991 census shows two separate
          households there: William and Jane Salmon - William is listed as "Ship
          Master (unemployed)"; and Matthew and Helen Nicol - Matthew is again a
          Fish Curer. In 1901, William and Jane Salmon are still at Clifton
          Cottage (he is now described as "retired Ship Master"). But listed as a
          separate household is Matthew's growing family: his second wife Janet,
          his son William Salmon, and three younger children: Matthew, Andrew
          Chalmers and Margaret Stelter plus a servant Isabella Stephen. My
          father didn't appear on the scene until after the family had moved to
          Londonderry around 1905.

          Mary Barnes

          > Hi Mary,
          >
          > Janet McIntosh was born on 4 September 1859 Peterhead, the daughter
          > of William McIntosh and Helen Coull.
          >
          > Given what you said about Helen McIntosh's year of death as 1893 (age
          > stated as 28), then this is likely to be Janet's sister who was born
          > on 28th October 1864 (actual age would have been almost 27?)
          >
          > Helen Coull married twice - her second husband was Russell Watt - my
          > gg grandparents.
          >
          > There's more information in my message posted in March 2006 under the
          > subject "William Salmon".
          >
          > Ian
        • yetidavidson
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
            Your calculations are a lot better than mine Mary!

            Jane Salmon McIntosh (born in 1862) died in infancy in 1863 - listed
            on the Peterhead Genealogy site - father William McIntosh, mother
            Coul - I haven't checked the original record but it's obviously the
            same person.

            The 1890s must have been tough for Peterhead fish curers - my g
            grandfather David Davidson, a cooper, moved to Torry in 1896,
            presumably to find work, after being laid off by another Peterhead
            fish curer Andrew McKenzie with a letter of recommendation to
            prospective employers.

            Ian