Re: Thomas McKINNON & Mary BARRON

  • Alison Kennedy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2007
      Hi All,

      I found the following newspaper article recently, which I believe may be of interest to some members of the group. Thomas Robertson McKinnon (b 1851, son of Shand McKinnon & Ann Davidson) married Mary Barron (bc 1854, daughter of James Barron & Ann Bervie) 9 October 1878, 70 Skene Square, Aberdeen.

      I hope the information is of some help / interest.

      Alison

      The Aberdeen Daily Journal, Saturday, July 29, 1911

      Drowning Accident at Peterhead

      Victim a Native of Aberdeen

      Shortly before one o'clock yesterday afternoon, several boys, playing on the rocks at the foot of Merchant Street, Peterhead, observed the body of a woman, fully clothed, floating in the water. They immediately raised an alarm, and a large crowd was quickly on the scene. Two men, after some trouble, brought the body ashore, when life was found to be quite extinct.

      On being taken to the mortuary, the unfortunate woman was identified as Mary Barron or McKinnon, 6 Threadneedle Street, Peterhead, the widow of a marine engineer who was drowned from a Dundee trading steamer several years ago.

      Mrs McKinnon was 58 years of age, and, previous to her marriage, was a school teacher in Aberdeen, of which city she was a native. For the past thirty years she had lived in Peterhead, where she was highly respected. Mrs McKinnon was last seen alive by a neighbour, a few hours before the body was taken from the water.