Re: Time to re-register my surname interests.

  • levans66
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
      Hi,

      I too am interested in the Milne and Mitchell lines. If you would like
      to post details then I'll see if I have information that would help!
    • Jen
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
        Hi Katherine,

        My experience to date tells me that the likelihood of two Milne families being linked is about as likely as two lots of Smiths finding that they are cousins. But it's worth a try so here goes:

        I am listing the generations i-iv starting with my earliest Milne so far in this line, my 4 x great grandfather, John Milne, with my direct ancestors underlined.. Hope it makes sense.

        i) John Milne ( born 1799c) m Christian Mitchel, 1799, Cairness, Lonmay

        ii)Joseph Milne ( born 1815, Lonmay) m Jean Birnie, 1840, Rathen. Joseph died before the1841 census - I don't know the details.
        Other offspring of John Milne and Christian Mitchel include:
        ii) James Milne b 1799
        ii)William Milne b 1800
        ii) Rebecca Milne b 1803
        ii) William Milne b 1805
        ii) Anne Milne b 1809
        ii) Anne Milne b 1812
        Obviously a number of these children died in infancy but I haven't done any research on them yet.

        iii)Joseph Milne ( born 1841, Lonmay m Margaret Daniel 1871, Cruden.

        iv) Jane Milne,my great grandmother was born 1871, in Cruden. She married Peter Grant Raitt.

        Other ofspring of Joseph Milne and Margaret Daniel include:

        iv) Isobel Milne b 1874
        iv) James Milne b 1876
        iv) Joseph Milne b 1880
        iv) John Milne b 1883
        iv) Alexander Milne b 1886
        iv) Jessie Milne b 1888
        iv) Lily Milne b 1889
        iv) Dorothea Milne b 1889
        iv) Margaret Milne
        iv) Flora Milne
        No birth dates for the last two but this information came in a letter to my father from his great uncle, Joseph Milne (b.1880) some time in the 1970s when he may have been very old but still well able to recall his family details.

        Completely separately, I have a 5 x great grandmother, Christian Miln who married John Crichton in Methlick around 1779.

        I hope that this is of some use to you or that someone else will recognise the names. If so, please let me know.

        Regards,

        Jen

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
          Hi Jen
          the one I am interested in is the James Milne born 1799 do you know who he married as I have a James Milne married Ann Thain , I have their children etc but like alll the other Milne families they used the same christian names for their children, so hoping you know a bit more on your James to see if they fit in with yours.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 16, 2007
            I have a splattering of the names you mentioned in the areas of your
            interest,here's the link to my tree have a look then get in touch at
            _kenmalley4@..._ (mailto:kenmalley4@...)

            _http://www1.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=brocher&x=8&y=8&rand=89867163
            _
            (http://www1.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=brocher&x=8&y=8&rand=89867163)

            regards Kenny

          • Jen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 17, 2007
              Hi Katherine,

              Sorry, I don't have any information on James Milne ( 1799) but if anything crops up, I will let you know. have you looked for his death on Scotland's People? His death certificate would name his parents, providing he survived beyond 1855 of course.

            • Jen
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 17, 2007
                Thank you for the link.

                I can't see any of my lot leaping off the page immediately but I shall have a closer look as soon as I can and hope to find someone I recognise.

                Cheers,