Re: [Peterhead] Re: Time to re-register my surname interests.

  • Katherine Blake
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
      Hi i am interested in your Milne line can you tell me more about them thank you
      Katherine
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
        Hi,

        I too am interested in the Milne and Mitchell lines. If you would like
        to post details then I'll see if I have information that would help!
      • Jen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
          Hi Katherine,

          My experience to date tells me that the likelihood of two Milne families being linked is about as likely as two lots of Smiths finding that they are cousins. But it's worth a try so here goes:

          I am listing the generations i-iv starting with my earliest Milne so far in this line, my 4 x great grandfather, John Milne, with my direct ancestors underlined.. Hope it makes sense.

          i) John Milne ( born 1799c) m Christian Mitchel, 1799, Cairness, Lonmay

          ii)Joseph Milne ( born 1815, Lonmay) m Jean Birnie, 1840, Rathen. Joseph died before the1841 census - I don't know the details.
          Other offspring of John Milne and Christian Mitchel include:
          ii) James Milne b 1799
          ii)William Milne b 1800
          ii) Rebecca Milne b 1803
          ii) William Milne b 1805
          ii) Anne Milne b 1809
          ii) Anne Milne b 1812
          Obviously a number of these children died in infancy but I haven't done any research on them yet.

          iii)Joseph Milne ( born 1841, Lonmay m Margaret Daniel 1871, Cruden.

          iv) Jane Milne,my great grandmother was born 1871, in Cruden. She married Peter Grant Raitt.

          Other ofspring of Joseph Milne and Margaret Daniel include:

          iv) Isobel Milne b 1874
          iv) James Milne b 1876
          iv) Joseph Milne b 1880
          iv) John Milne b 1883
          iv) Alexander Milne b 1886
          iv) Jessie Milne b 1888
          iv) Lily Milne b 1889
          iv) Dorothea Milne b 1889
          iv) Margaret Milne
          iv) Flora Milne
          No birth dates for the last two but this information came in a letter to my father from his great uncle, Joseph Milne (b.1880) some time in the 1970s when he may have been very old but still well able to recall his family details.

          Completely separately, I have a 5 x great grandmother, Christian Miln who married John Crichton in Methlick around 1779.

          I hope that this is of some use to you or that someone else will recognise the names. If so, please let me know.

          Regards,

          Jen

          Hi i am interested in your Milne line can you tell me more about them thank you
          Katherine
          If you look at my web-site angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead
          you will find many of the surnames and towns that you are searching.
          The site has not been updated since 2004 (it's on my list of things
          to do)but it may help.

          Cheers
          Jim

          > Hello,
          >
          > This is just in case anyone has joined the group who may have any
          connection to my family, or who may be able to help me to find more
          about them.

          > Charles Alexander married Margaret Craighead, Cruden 1775. Who
          were their parents, what did they do, did they have any offspring
          other than Isabella, born Peterhead 1786? Anything on these families
          gratefully received.

          > Alexander Hay married Isabella Alexander, Peterhead, 1810. I have
          drawn a blank on him so would like anything at all about his
          parents, siblings etc.

          > Christian Robertson, born 1784, Cruden. According to her death
          certificate, her father was James Robertson and her mother Elizabeth
          ( something illegible, looked like Sanit but I wondered whether it
          may have been Saint or Smith). Help needed here - who did James
          Robertson marry?

          > John Daniel married Janet Robertson, Cruden 1763. I suspect Janet
          may have been the sister of James ( above) but have no proof, just a
          hunch because of the marriage of John Daniel and Janet Robertson's
          son, William, to Christian Robertson ( above). Is that too
          complicated? More help needed.

          > Am I allowed to ask about families from Lonmay, Strichen and Tyrie
          on this site? If so, other names I am stuck on include: Birnie,
          McKenzie, Milne, Mitchel and Walker. I'd love to hear from anyone
          with these surname interests.

          > Hope this isn't too much in one go but I live in hopes of someone
          recognising any or all of the above.

          > Cheers and a belated Happy New Year to everyone.
          >
          > Jen

        • Katherine Blake
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
            Hi Jen
            the one I am interested in is the James Milne born 1799 do you know who he married as I have a James Milne married Ann Thain , I have their children etc but like alll the other Milne families they used the same christian names for their children, so hoping you know a bit more on your James to see if they fit in with yours.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 16, 2007
              I have a splattering of the names you mentioned in the areas of your
              interest,here's the link to my tree have a look then get in touch at
              _kenmalley4@..._ (mailto:kenmalley4@...)

              _http://www1.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=brocher&x=8&y=8&rand=89867163
              _
              (http://www1.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=brocher&x=8&y=8&rand=89867163)

              regards Kenny

            • Jen
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 17, 2007
                Hi Katherine,

                Sorry, I don't have any information on James Milne ( 1799) but if anything crops up, I will let you know. have you looked for his death on Scotland's People? His death certificate would name his parents, providing he survived beyond 1855 of course.

              • Jen
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 17, 2007
                  Thank you for the link.

                  I can't see any of my lot leaping off the page immediately but I shall have a closer look as soon as I can and hope to find someone I recognise.

                  Cheers,