Time to re-register my surname interests.

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
      Hello,

      This is just in case anyone has joined the group who may have any connection to my family, or who may be able to help me to find more about them.

      Charles Alexander married Margaret Craighead, Cruden 1775. Who were their parents, what did they do, did they have any offspring other than Isabella, born Peterhead 1786? Anything on these families gratefully received.

      Alexander Hay married Isabella Alexander, Peterhead, 1810. I have drawn a blank on him so would like anything at all about his parents, siblings etc.

      Christian Robertson, born 1784, Cruden. According to her death certificate, her father was James Robertson and her mother Elizabeth ( something illegible, looked like Sanit but I wondered whether it may have been Saint or Smith). Help needed here - who did James Robertson marry?

      John Daniel married Janet Robertson, Cruden 1763. I suspect Janet may have been the sister of James ( above) but have no proof, just a hunch because of the marriage of John Daniel and Janet Robertson's son, William, to Christian Robertson ( above). Is that too complicated? More help needed.

      Am I allowed to ask about families from Lonmay, Strichen and Tyrie on this site? If so, other names I am stuck on include: Birnie, McKenzie, Milne, Mitchel and Walker. I'd love to hear from anyone with these surname interests.

      Hope this isn't too much in one go but I live in hopes of someone recognising any or all of the above.

      Cheers and a belated Happy New Year to everyone.

      Jen

    • usstweedy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <gannet@...> wrote:
        > Hi Jen

        If you look at my web-site angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead
        you will find many of the surnames and towns that you are searching.
        The site has not been updated since 2004 (it's on my list of things
        to do)but it may help.

        Cheers
        Jim

        > Hello,
        >
        > This is just in case anyone has joined the group who may have any
        connection to my family, or who may be able to help me to find more
        about them.

        > Charles Alexander married Margaret Craighead, Cruden 1775. Who
        were their parents, what did they do, did they have any offspring
        other than Isabella, born Peterhead 1786? Anything on these families
        gratefully received.

        > Alexander Hay married Isabella Alexander, Peterhead, 1810. I have
        drawn a blank on him so would like anything at all about his
        parents, siblings etc.

        > Christian Robertson, born 1784, Cruden. According to her death
        certificate, her father was James Robertson and her mother Elizabeth
        ( something illegible, looked like Sanit but I wondered whether it
        may have been Saint or Smith). Help needed here - who did James
        Robertson marry?

        > John Daniel married Janet Robertson, Cruden 1763. I suspect Janet
        may have been the sister of James ( above) but have no proof, just a
        hunch because of the marriage of John Daniel and Janet Robertson's
        son, William, to Christian Robertson ( above). Is that too
        complicated? More help needed.

        > Am I allowed to ask about families from Lonmay, Strichen and Tyrie
        on this site? If so, other names I am stuck on include: Birnie,
        McKenzie, Milne, Mitchel and Walker. I'd love to hear from anyone
        with these surname interests.

        > Hope this isn't too much in one go but I live in hopes of someone
        recognising any or all of the above.

        > Cheers and a belated Happy New Year to everyone.
        >
        > Jen

      • Katherine Blake
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
          Hi i am interested in your Milne line can you tell me more about them thank you
          Katherine
          If you look at my web-site angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead
          you will find many of the surnames and towns that you are searching.
          The site has not been updated since 2004 (it's on my list of things
          to do)but it may help.

          Cheers
          Jim

          > Hello,
          >
          > This is just in case anyone has joined the group who may have any
          connection to my family, or who may be able to help me to find more
          about them.

          > Charles Alexander married Margaret Craighead, Cruden 1775. Who
          were their parents, what did they do, did they have any offspring
          other than Isabella, born Peterhead 1786? Anything on these families
          gratefully received.

          > Alexander Hay married Isabella Alexander, Peterhead, 1810. I have
          drawn a blank on him so would like anything at all about his
          parents, siblings etc.

          > Christian Robertson, born 1784, Cruden. According to her death
          certificate, her father was James Robertson and her mother Elizabeth
          ( something illegible, looked like Sanit but I wondered whether it
          may have been Saint or Smith). Help needed here - who did James
          Robertson marry?

          > John Daniel married Janet Robertson, Cruden 1763. I suspect Janet
          may have been the sister of James ( above) but have no proof, just a
          hunch because of the marriage of John Daniel and Janet Robertson's
          son, William, to Christian Robertson ( above). Is that too
          complicated? More help needed.

          > Am I allowed to ask about families from Lonmay, Strichen and Tyrie
          on this site? If so, other names I am stuck on include: Birnie,
          McKenzie, Milne, Mitchel and Walker. I'd love to hear from anyone
          with these surname interests.

          > Hope this isn't too much in one go but I live in hopes of someone
          recognising any or all of the above.

          > Cheers and a belated Happy New Year to everyone.
          >
          > Jen

        • levans66
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
            Hi,

            I too am interested in the Milne and Mitchell lines. If you would like
            to post details then I'll see if I have information that would help!
          • Jen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
              Hi Katherine,

              My experience to date tells me that the likelihood of two Milne families being linked is about as likely as two lots of Smiths finding that they are cousins. But it's worth a try so here goes:

              I am listing the generations i-iv starting with my earliest Milne so far in this line, my 4 x great grandfather, John Milne, with my direct ancestors underlined.. Hope it makes sense.

              i) John Milne ( born 1799c) m Christian Mitchel, 1799, Cairness, Lonmay

              ii)Joseph Milne ( born 1815, Lonmay) m Jean Birnie, 1840, Rathen. Joseph died before the1841 census - I don't know the details.
              Other offspring of John Milne and Christian Mitchel include:
              ii) James Milne b 1799
              ii)William Milne b 1800
              ii) Rebecca Milne b 1803
              ii) William Milne b 1805
              ii) Anne Milne b 1809
              ii) Anne Milne b 1812
              Obviously a number of these children died in infancy but I haven't done any research on them yet.

              iii)Joseph Milne ( born 1841, Lonmay m Margaret Daniel 1871, Cruden.

              iv) Jane Milne,my great grandmother was born 1871, in Cruden. She married Peter Grant Raitt.

              Other ofspring of Joseph Milne and Margaret Daniel include:

              iv) Isobel Milne b 1874
              iv) James Milne b 1876
              iv) Joseph Milne b 1880
              iv) John Milne b 1883
              iv) Alexander Milne b 1886
              iv) Jessie Milne b 1888
              iv) Lily Milne b 1889
              iv) Dorothea Milne b 1889
              iv) Margaret Milne
              iv) Flora Milne
              No birth dates for the last two but this information came in a letter to my father from his great uncle, Joseph Milne (b.1880) some time in the 1970s when he may have been very old but still well able to recall his family details.

              Completely separately, I have a 5 x great grandmother, Christian Miln who married John Crichton in Methlick around 1779.

              I hope that this is of some use to you or that someone else will recognise the names. If so, please let me know.

              Regards,

              Jen

              Hi i am interested in your Milne line can you tell me more about them thank you
              Katherine
              If you look at my web-site angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead
              you will find many of the surnames and towns that you are searching.
              The site has not been updated since 2004 (it's on my list of things
              to do)but it may help.

              Cheers
              Jim

              > Hello,
              >
              > This is just in case anyone has joined the group who may have any
              connection to my family, or who may be able to help me to find more
              about them.

              > Charles Alexander married Margaret Craighead, Cruden 1775. Who
              were their parents, what did they do, did they have any offspring
              other than Isabella, born Peterhead 1786? Anything on these families
              gratefully received.

              > Alexander Hay married Isabella Alexander, Peterhead, 1810. I have
              drawn a blank on him so would like anything at all about his
              parents, siblings etc.

              > Christian Robertson, born 1784, Cruden. According to her death
              certificate, her father was James Robertson and her mother Elizabeth
              ( something illegible, looked like Sanit but I wondered whether it
              may have been Saint or Smith). Help needed here - who did James
              Robertson marry?

              > John Daniel married Janet Robertson, Cruden 1763. I suspect Janet
              may have been the sister of James ( above) but have no proof, just a
              hunch because of the marriage of John Daniel and Janet Robertson's
              son, William, to Christian Robertson ( above). Is that too
              complicated? More help needed.

              > Am I allowed to ask about families from Lonmay, Strichen and Tyrie
              on this site? If so, other names I am stuck on include: Birnie,
              McKenzie, Milne, Mitchel and Walker. I'd love to hear from anyone
              with these surname interests.

              > Hope this isn't too much in one go but I live in hopes of someone
              recognising any or all of the above.

              > Cheers and a belated Happy New Year to everyone.
              >
              > Jen

            • Katherine Blake
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
                Hi Jen
                the one I am interested in is the James Milne born 1799 do you know who he married as I have a James Milne married Ann Thain , I have their children etc but like alll the other Milne families they used the same christian names for their children, so hoping you know a bit more on your James to see if they fit in with yours.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 16, 2007
                  I have a splattering of the names you mentioned in the areas of your
                  interest,here's the link to my tree have a look then get in touch at
                  _kenmalley4@..._ (mailto:kenmalley4@...)

                  _http://www1.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=brocher&x=8&y=8&rand=89867163
                  _
                  (http://www1.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=brocher&x=8&y=8&rand=89867163)

                  regards Kenny

                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 17, 2007
                    Hi Katherine,

                    Sorry, I don't have any information on James Milne ( 1799) but if anything crops up, I will let you know. have you looked for his death on Scotland's People? His death certificate would name his parents, providing he survived beyond 1855 of course.

                  • Jen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 17, 2007
                      Thank you for the link.

                      I can't see any of my lot leaping off the page immediately but I shall have a closer look as soon as I can and hope to find someone I recognise.

                      Cheers,