Re: [PETERHEAD] Re: Thomas CARTER & Charlotte Griffin

  • Fiona
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2006
      Hi,

      I am trying to find any information on my GGrandfather Thomas Henry CARTER. He was born in Peterhead between 1838 and 1842. He came to Australia about 1881. He was married supposedly to Hannah Tongue about 1882. My dates are not very accurate because on their children's birth ceritificates (3) not one date is the same and his age does not correspond every time. I have found a death certificate here in Australia (1918 stating his age as 79 and having lived in the colonies or state for about 35 years) that seems to be his but it does not show any information about Hannah or their children.
      What it does show is he married Charlotte GRIFFIN (or GRIFFEN) in Scotland. Unfortunately I have no approximate date - it could be between 1859 and 1883 as the death certificate I have (1918) states age at marriage as unknown. There were no children from this marriage I believe.
      I can't even find when he left Scotland. The only thing that is consistent is his occupation as an Engineer or Marine Engineer.

      If anyone can shed any light on my elusive GGrandfather I would appreciate hearing from you.
      Thanks
      Fiona

    • Alison Kennedy
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2006
        Hi,

        According to the 1881 census, there were only four people at the time in
        Peterhead with the surname "Carter".

        Janet Carter, bc. 1837, Stirling
        Catherine Carter bc. 1867, Glasgow
        Jessie Carter bc. 1870, Glasgow
        Sarah Carter bc. 1873, Glasgow

        Looking at the chldren's births on the IGI, this family looks like a Thomas
        Carter & Janet Burgess who were married 13 September 1858, Anderston,
        Glasgow. There is no mention of husband / father Thomas.

        There were no "Carter's" on the 1841; 1851 or 1861 Peterhead censuses.

        I can find no trace of a marriage in Scotland of a Thomas Carter & Charlotte
        Griffen (Griffin) for the years 1855 - 1930. It could be that the person
        who gave Thomas's death details was not sure of the name of Thomas's first
        wife.

        According to the IGI there is a birth of a Thomas Henry Carter bap. 10
        November 1828, St Peter, Liverpool, England - parents Thomas Henry Carter &
        Catherine (blank).

        Hope this helps.

        Alison

        > I am trying to find any information on my GGrandfather Thomas Henry
        > CARTER. He was born in Peterhead between 1838 and 1842. He came to
        > Australia about 1881. He was married supposedly to Hannah Tongue about
        > 1882. My dates are not very accurate because on their children's birth
        > ceritificates (3) not one date is the same and his age does not correspond
        > every time. I have found a death certificate here in Australia (1918
        > stating his age as 79 and having lived in the colonies or state for about
        > 35 years) that seems to be his but it does not show any information about
        > Hannah or their children.
        > What it does show is he married Charlotte GRIFFIN (or GRIFFEN) in
        > Scotland. Unfortunately I have no approximate date - it could be between
        > 1859 and 1883 as the death certificate I have (1918) states age at
        > marriage as unknown. There were no children from this marriage I believe.
        > I can't even find when he left Scotland. The only thing that is
        > consistent is his occupation as an Engineer or Marine Engineer.
        >
        > If anyone can shed any light on my elusive GGrandfather I would appreciate
        > hearing from you.
        > Thanks
        > Fiona

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • ngratton
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 25, 2006
          If he was a marine engineer have you considered the possibility that he
          arived, as did my forebears, as crew on either cargo or immigrant ships, and
          signed off international ones and worked coastal etc and ended up staying or
          even as in my case settleing in New Zealand

          Noelene
          > I am trying to find any information on my GGrandfather Thomas Henry
          > CARTER. He was born in Peterhead between 1838 and 1842. He came to
          > Australia about 1881. He was married supposedly to Hannah Tongue about
          > 1882. My dates are not very accurate because on their children's birth
          > ceritificates (3) not one date is the same and his age does not correspond
          > every time. I have found a death certificate here in Australia (1918
          > stating his age as 79 and having lived in the colonies or state for about
          > 35 years) that seems to be his but it does not show any information about
          > Hannah or their children.
          > What it does show is he married Charlotte GRIFFIN (or GRIFFEN) in
          > Scotland. Unfortunately I have no approximate date - it could be between
          > 1859 and 1883 as the death certificate I have (1918) states age at
          > marriage as unknown. There were no children from this marriage I believe.
          > I can't even find when he left Scotland. The only thing that is
          > consistent is his occupation as an Engineer or Marine Engineer.
          >
          > If anyone can shed any light on my elusive GGrandfather I would appreciate
          > hearing from you.
          > Thanks
          > Fiona

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Fiona
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17 5:49 AM
            Hi Noelene
            Sorry I am only just replying to you but have been
            tied up with family matters.
            Yes I have considered this but don't seem to be able
            to find him on any ship coming into Australia.
            Will keep looking.

            Thanks
            Fiona