Re: [Peterhead] murison/murrison of Blackhills, Peterhead

  • andrea mcharg
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
      Hi Lisa,

      Do you have any further info about Janet Mitchell? I
      have Mitchells who lived at Cowsrieve Croft,
      Blackhills.

      Many thanks,

      Andrea

      --- levans66 <l.evans66@...> wrote:

      > I am try to trace the family of Alexander Murison.
      > I have an Alexander Murison m. Janet Mitchell, also
      > an Alexander
      > Murison m. Elizabeth Milne (father to previous
      > Alexander) and have
      > just found a reference to Alexander Murison
      > (grandfather to the first)
      > m.Janet Corr. It is this last family that I am
      > particular interested
      > in as I can find no information at present.
      > All I really have is the names and the fact that
      > Janet Corr was b.atb.
      > 1752/53 (she was shown as 88 in the 1841 census).
      > Does anyone know
      > about this family. I have other information (not
      > alot) if anyone is
      > interested.
      > Thanks
      > Lisa

    • levans66
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006
        Dear Andrea,
        My Janet Mitchell was my 3x gt grandmother, b.atb.1821 in the parish
        of Peterhead (I have not found a record of her birth yet). She died
        5th Jan 1898 in Blackhill, Peterhead. She married Alexander
        Murrison 23 Feb 1845 in the parish of Peterhead. Her parents were
        James Mitchell and Margaret Byers (or Buyers). Margaret died 16 Dec
        1869 at Cowsreive aged 83.
        As far as I can tell, Janet Mitchell and Alexander Murrison had at
        least 11 children between 1846 and 1865!! I know that Janet Mitchell
        had at least one sibling, a brother named James.

        Does any of this sound familiar?

        Thanks
        Lisa

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, andrea mcharg <andreamcharg@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Lisa,
        >
        > Do you have any further info about Janet Mitchell? I
        > have Mitchells who lived at Cowsrieve Croft,
        > Blackhills.
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Andrea
        >
        > --- levans66 <l.evans66@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I am try to trace the family of Alexander Murison.
        > > I have an Alexander Murison m. Janet Mitchell, also
        > > an Alexander
        > > Murison m. Elizabeth Milne (father to previous
        > > Alexander) and have
        > > just found a reference to Alexander Murison
        > > (grandfather to the first)
        > > m.Janet Corr. It is this last family that I am
        > > particular interested
        > > in as I can find no information at present.
        > > All I really have is the names and the fact that
        > > Janet Corr was b.atb.
        > > 1752/53 (she was shown as 88 in the 1841 census).
        > > Does anyone know
        > > about this family. I have other information (not
        > > alot) if anyone is
        > > interested.
        > > Thanks
        > > Lisa

        > The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email
        address from your Internet provider.
        http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

      • S.Inkster
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006
          Andrea and Lisa,
          I also have a James Mitchell and Margaret Byres, not my direct line. James is a brother to my gr. gr. grandfather Thomas Mitchell / Janet Robertson.
          I found a date for Janet:( Murrison)
          James Mitchell, farmer in Cocklaw had a daughter Janet, June 11,1821
          witness: David Cruickshank and William Walker

          Sharon

        • levans66
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2006
            Hi,
            I was looking at the 1841 census of Cowsrieve and I noticed that there
            was a Thomas Mitchell (30) Ag Lab, and a James Mitchell (20) Ag Lab
            listed with the family of John Gibb. Could these be brothers to Janet
            Mitchell (and therefore children of James Mitchell and Margaret Byers?).

            There is also a Jannet Mitchell (6) listed with James and Margaret on
            the 1841 census. Does anyone know who she is? I am presuming that she
            must be a granchild? I'm still looking for my Janet Mitchell who would
            have been about 20 in 1841.

            Also on the same page(!) I have found yet another Mitchell at
            Blackhills - Alexander Mitchell (55)Mason, Margaret (60), Alexander (25)
            Mason, James (20)Ag Lab. Does anyone know if they are related to the
            other Mitchells?

            Thanks
            Lisa

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "S.Inkster" <firestorm2@...> wrote:

            > Andrea and Lisa,
            > I also have a James Mitchell and Margaret Byres, not my direct line.
            James is a brother to my gr. gr. grandfather Thomas Mitchell / Janet
            Robertson.
            > I found a date for Janet:( Murrison)
            > James Mitchell, farmer in Cocklaw had a daughter Janet, June 11,1821
            > witness: David Cruickshank and William Walker
            >
            > Sharon

          • S.Inkster
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 19, 2006
              Andrea,
              What Mitchell's do you have living in Cowsrieve Croft?

              Lisa,
              Do you have a date of birth or any other info for James, son of James Mitchell / Margaret Byres?

              Sharon

            • Steve Broekmann
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2006
                Hi Lisa,

                There are plenty of Peterhead people that settled in Cape Town. You may like to follow up the fact that in the one cemetery (St Peters) for which I have records, there are the following MURISONS with dates of death as shown.

                Alexander 23 July 1892/3/4?
                Alexander 27 Jan 1893
                Eleanor Charlotte 7 June 1916
                Jane 13 Jan 1873
                James 2 Jul 1907
                James 22 May 1878
                Margaret 7 Jun 70 (sic) presumably 1870
                Robin S D 22 Nov 1942

                My ggrandfather William STEPHEN (who was born in Peterhead) apparently used Murison & Co as his ship's agents.

                Stephen

                Cape Town