Re: FUILLET

  • jaystonward
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 7, 2006
      Hi Allson,

      So, looking at your full note of the FUILLET family, in your paragraph on Henry F. and Mary
      FYFE, are you saying they never married because his first wife Mary BLACK was still alive?
      Would that possibilty mean that everyone knew that his relationship and family with Mary
      Fyfe was illegitimate? I suppose I'm asking how do you know he never married Ms FYFE?
      Or are you assuming that fact because we haven't found the marriage?
      As one who is used to the anonymity of big cities I had always assumed that small town
      dwellers, like the fishing community of Peterhead, could hide little.
      I wonder if his earlier marriage with Mary Black had any issue? I haven't found any
      FUILLETS mentioned except from the Peterhead branch of his family with May FYFE.

      Thank you again for your patience and knowledge.

      Jace

      > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Kennedy" <alison2kennedy@> wrote:

      > > Alexander's parents Henry Fuillet and Mary Fyfe were not actually married, although
      the
      > details on the marriage certificate suggests otherwise. Henry Fuillet married a Mary
      Black
      > 15 November 1845 St Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, and on the 1851 you will find them
      > living in Old Machar Parish, Aberdeen. Henry was born about 1801, a British Subject
      born
      > in Demerara.
      > > Alison
    • Alison Kennedy
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 7, 2006
        Hi Jace & Colin,

        I'll try to answer some of the questions:
        1.. Mary Fyfe never married - census returns show Mary as unmarried, and death certificate lists her as single.
        2.. Henry Fuillet married Mary Black 15 November 1845, St Nicholas. He is shown on 1851 living in Aberdeen with wife Mary and daughter, also Mary. Henry died 1863, his death certificate lists Mary Black as his wife.
        3.. Illegitimate births were common. Figures for the third quarter of 1884 for Peterhead show 129 births, of which 14 were illegitimate. So roughly 10% of births at this time would have been illegitimate.
        4.. The name Fuillet depended on who the informant / registrar was! Variants on the spelling includes Fulliet; Feuillet; Fullet (there may be others).
        5.. According to the 1851 census - Henry and Mary Black had a daughter Mary Francess Feuillet (I don't have birth details), but she was born c 1845.
        6.. I have various census returns on the family. The 1881 Peterhead census lists Alexander and wife Mary along with 4 of the children. The Margaret listed living with George & Catherine Cormack was the eldest of their children.
        7.. Children of Alexander Fuillet & Mary Thomson:
        1.. Margaret (Maggie) Thomson Fulliet b. 27 August 1866, Phd
        2.. Mary Thomson Fuillet, b. 25 September 1868, Phd
        3.. Alexander Thomson Fuillet, b. 4 April 1871, Phd - died 1873.
        4.. Jane Thomson Feuillet, b. 28 May 1873, Phd
        5.. Alexandrina Fuillet, b. 1875 Phd
        6.. Arthur William Fuillet, b. 1877 Phd
        7.. Alexander Fuillet, b.1880 Phd, died 1880.
        8.. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Graham Fuillet, b. 1881 Phd.
        8.. Children often had "ina" added to a name if the parents wanted to name a child after a male relative in the family. Elizabeth Graham Fuillet was named after Mary Fuillet's (ms Thomson) sister Elizabeth who married David Graham 1877 in Aberdeen.
        9.. Henry Feuillet died 13 October 1863 in Aberdeen. Parents were Joseph Feuillet, Coffee Planter (deceased) & Mary Feuillet ms Francess (deceased).
        10.. I have already given you marriage details of Alexander Fuillet & Mary Thomson, and I can give you the details, & census returns, of some of the other members (but due to other committments over the next few days, this probably won't be before the weekend).
        I trust the above information is helpful to both Jace and Colin. Again if you need / or are looking for any specific information then please ask. I can't guarantee that I've got the answers but I'll certainly see if I can help.

        Alison

        So, looking at your full note of the FUILLET family, in your paragraph on Henry F. and Mary
        FYFE, are you saying they never married because his first wife Mary BLACK was still alive?
        Would that possibilty mean that everyone knew that his relationship and family with Mary
        Fyfe was illegitimate? I suppose I'm asking how do you know he never married Ms FYFE?
        Or are you assuming that fact because we haven't found the marriage?
        As one who is used to the anonymity of big cities I had always assumed that small town
        dwellers, like the fishing community of Peterhead, could hide little.
        I wonder if his earlier marriage with Mary Black had any issue? I haven't found any
        FUILLETS mentioned except from the Peterhead branch of his family with May FYFE.

        Thank you again for your patience and knowledge.

        Jace

        Recent Activity
        a.. 1New Members
        Visit Your Group
        a.. Genealogy
        b.. Genealogy ancestor
        c.. Peterhead
        d.. Scotland genealogy
        e.. Ancestor genealogy
        Y! GeoCities
        Share More

        Create a blog, web

        site, and more.

        Make History
        Make Your Mark

        The Yahoo! Time

        Capsule Project

        Yahoo! Groups
        Start a group

        in 3 easy steps.

        Connect with others.
        .

      • M La Rooij
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 7, 2006
          Hi Alison,

          As I am researching THOMSON in Peterhead, I wonder if you know who were the parents of the Alexander who married Margaret ANNAND?
          Marion

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 8, 2006
            I don't know why I was being so dense, I now believe I have the order of Henry FUILLET's
            affairs and marriage and of course it makes sense.
            Looking for the name on the net in connection with Demerara or Demarary, I came up with
            http://ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au/~rvc/edg/1805edg-people-as.html
            Which you may have seen, no YOU almost definitely have seen! It gives a little insight into
            the business of the coffee planters and colonial masters at that time, and the problems of
            being a slave owner. The variant name of FEUILLET is found in these newspaper transcripts.

            Jace
          • Alison Kennedy
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 12, 2006
              Hi Colin,

              Can you give me an indication of what information you are looking for for this family.

              Alison

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 14, 2006
                Hi Alison,

                My GGrandfather Alexander Whyte was born illegitimately and I have had
                trouble proving which Alexander Whyte was his father. Through my research I
                have found a relation that had information from her mother that Alexander
                Whyte, my GGrandfather had two brothers, a bus driver and a Shop Owner.

                I understand that James Whyte who married Mary Fuillet on 25th March 1891
                owned a shop in Peterhead and his brother was a bus driver. I was hoping
                that you may know something of this extension of the family and could
                confirm the shop ownership in Marischal Street. My interests are really the
                Whytes but I was hoping you may know information about Mary Fuillet and her
                children to confirm information I have. This will in turn confirm for me
                that I have thr right Alexander Whyte as my GGGrandfather.

                I hope this makes sense and that you can help me.

                with my best wishes from a very dry South Australia.

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 14, 2006
                  The wee grocery shop was on the south side of Marischal Street and we knew it as Mrs. Whyte's. It was on the east side of the close that led into a stable, Peter's Chip Shop was on the other side of the close. These shops were just a few doors east of the Regal Picture House.
                  I went to school at the same time as Fuillet White and althogh not in his class I did know him.My time at school was 1939-1948.

                  Jim Adams
                  Calgary Albeta

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 15, 2006
                    Many, many thanks for the information Jim.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
                      A little belated Alison but many thanks. I appreciate your efforts.

                      with my best wishes,

                      Colin Whyte