MAIR

  • Crosswell
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 1999
      Hi,
      I am researching my MAIR line, of which I know very little about, and would love to know more.

      My great grandfather was Andrew Kidd Mair born in Roneheads 7th July 1864, the son of John and Ann (nee Strachan) Mair. John and Ann married (according to Andrew's birth certificate) in June 1861 at Rathven. I am told that John remarried after Ann's death, date unknown. Andrew left Peterhead and arrived in Great Yarmouth about the turn of the century.

      I am indebted to Wade's website where I learned that Andrew had three sisters who sadly died in their first years of life. This has prompted me to try and find out more about the Mair side of the family and would appreciate any information or contacts however small.

      Thanks in advance,

      Len Crosswell
      len@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 1999
        Hi Len,

        Crosswell wrote:

        > My great grandfather was Andrew Kidd Mair born in Roneheads 7th July
        > 1864, the son of John and Ann (nee Strachan) Mair. John and Ann
        > married (according to Andrew's birth certificate) in June 1861 at
        > Rathven. I am told that John remarried after Ann's death, date
        > unknown. Andrew left Peterhead and arrived in Great Yarmouth about
        > the turn of the century.
        >
        > I am indebted to Wade's website where I learned that Andrew had three
        > sisters who sadly died in their first years of life. This has
        > prompted me to try and find out more about the Mair side of the family
        > and would appreciate any information or contacts however small.

        Do you want the details from the three death certificates?

        >From the 1871 census for Peterhead
        Page 17, No.74, 33 Roanheads
        John Mair, head, mar, 70, Fisherman, Rathven, Banffshire
        Ann Mair, wife, mar, 50, Peterhead
        Andrew Mair, son, 6, Peterhead

        I transcribed all of Roanheads many years ago. I hope I got the correct
        age for John. Do you have access to the 1881 census index published by
        the LDS ?

        Ann Strachan's parents could be George Strachan and Mary Bruce, also
        living in Roanheads during the 1851 census. You will need to get Ann
        Strachan's marriage and or death certificate to prove this. If you find
        this is her parents then I have both their death certificate details.

        Regards, Wade.
      • Crosswell
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 1999
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 1999
            Hi Len,

            Crosswell wrote:

            > Many thanks for the information, sorry for the mis-spelling of Roanheads,
            > copied it from Andrew's birth cert.

            You didn't mis-spell Roanheads, as it has been spelt a few ways over the
            years. This is the current spelling on the maps. The spelling of
            Roneheads has appeared on most of the certificates I've seen and some
            census returns.

            > I would love the details from the death certificates if possiable.

            Peterhead Deaths:
            No.141, Elizabeth Mair, single, 2nd August 1860 1h am at 33 Roneheads,
            female, 2 days, parents: John Mair, fisherman and Ann Mair ms Strachan,
            (didn't record cause), informant: Mary Allan, aunt, present.

            No.113, Elizabeth Mair, single, 24th September 1862 midnight at
            Roneheads, female, 1 year, parents, John Mair, fisherman and Ann Mair ms
            Strachan, cause: unknown, no medical attendant, informant: May Strachan,
            aunt, present, neighbour.

            No.48, Jane Cruden Mair, single, 7th March 1867 9h pm at Roneheads,
            female, 15 months, parents: John Mair, fisherman and Ann Mair ms
            Strachan, cause: unknown, no medical attendant, informant: John Mair,
            his x mark, present.

            > Unfortunately my local studies library has the 1881 census index for England
            > and Wales only.

            I will have a look next time I get a chance.

            Regards, Wade.
          • Crosswell
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11, 1999
              Hi Wade,
              Once again many thanks for the information you sent, it is very much
              appreciated.

              Len Crosswell. len@...

              >From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
              >
              >Hi Len,
              >
              >Crosswell wrote:
              >
              >> Many thanks for the information, sorry for the mis-spelling of Roanheads,
              >> copied it from Andrew's birth cert.
              >
              >You didn't mis-spell Roanheads, as it has been spelt a few ways over the
              >years. This is the current spelling on the maps. The spelling of
              >Roneheads has appeared on most of the certificates I've seen and some
              >census returns.
              >
              >> I would love the details from the death certificates if possiable.
              >
              >Peterhead Deaths:
              >No.141, Elizabeth Mair, single, 2nd August 1860 1h am at 33 Roneheads,
              >female, 2 days, parents: John Mair, fisherman and Ann Mair ms Strachan,
              >(didn't record cause), informant: Mary Allan, aunt, present.
              >
              >No.113, Elizabeth Mair, single, 24th September 1862 midnight at
              >Roneheads, female, 1 year, parents, John Mair, fisherman and Ann Mair ms
              >Strachan, cause: unknown, no medical attendant, informant: May Strachan,
              >aunt, present, neighbour.
              >
              >No.48, Jane Cruden Mair, single, 7th March 1867 9h pm at Roneheads,
              >female, 15 months, parents: John Mair, fisherman and Ann Mair ms
              >Strachan, cause: unknown, no medical attendant, informant: John Mair,
              >his x mark, present.
              >>
              >> Unfortunately my local studies library has the 1881 census index for
              England
              >> and Wales only.
              >
              >I will have a look next time I get a chance.
              >
              >Regards, Wade.

              >Did you know that ONElist hosts some of the largest lists on the Internet?
              >http://www.ONElist.com
              >Our scaleable system is the most reliable free e-mail service on the
              Internet!