FUILLET

  • jaystonward
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 6 9:36 AM
      Thanks Ray and Christine for those quick responses. I think I am looking for a birth round
      about 1882ish, and yes the name could be variously spelt, but I think FUILLET is quite near,
      though I have seen a possible FURILLET. There seem a number of Alexanders among the
      Christian names but the 1841 Alexander Christening is surely too early for Mary and Henry,
      but that one might be Henry's brother.

      Jace
    • Ray Hennessy
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 6 12:00 PM
        Hi Jace

        I take back my FULLER suggestion. I've just had a look at post-1855
        births on Scotland's People and there are six people born in Peterhead
        on their database:

        1868 Mary Thomson FUILLET
        1871 Alexander FUILLET
        1875 Alexandrina FUILLET
        1877 Arthur William FUILLET
        1880 Alexander FUILLET
        1881 Elizabeth Graham FUILLET

        Clearly the family were established, but you probably know all this
        already.

        HTH

        Ray

        > Thanks Ray and Christine for those quick responses. I think I am
        > looking for a birth round
        > about 1882ish, and yes the name could be variously spelt, but I think
        > FUILLET is quite near,
        > though I have seen a possible FURILLET. There seem a number of
        > Alexanders among the
        > Christian names but the 1841 Alexander Christening is surely too early
        > for Mary and Henry,
        > but that one might be Henry's brother.
        >
        > Jace

      • Alison Kennedy
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 6 1:05 PM
          Hi,

          This family has a link with our family tree, through the Annand name -

          Elizabeth (Lizzie) Graham Fuillet was the youngest daughter of Alexander Fuillet & Mary T. Thomson -

          1865 Marriages in the District of Peterhead in the County of Aberdeen

          No. 52; 1865, October twelfth at Keith Street, Peterhead, after Banns according to the Forms of the Free Church of Scotland. (Signed) Alexander Fuillet, Seaman (Bachelor), age 23, residence: Seagate, Peterhead. Parents: Henry Fuillet, Cabinet Maker (dead) & Mary Fuillet ms Fyfe. (Signed) Mary Thomson (Spinster), age 23, residence: Pool Lane, Peterhead. Parents: Alexander Thomson, Seaman & Margaret Thomson ms Annand. Witnesses: (signed) James Yuill, Minister of the Free Church Congregational, Peterhead, (signed) William Morrison, witness & John Watson, witness. Registered 1865, October 16th Peterhead by James Lyall, Registrar.

          Alexander's parents Henry Fuillet and Mary Fyfe were not actually married, although the details on the marriage certificate suggests otherwise. Henry Fuillet married a Mary Black 15 November 1845 St Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, and on the 1851 you will find them living in Old Machar Parish, Aberdeen. Henry was born about 1801, a British Subject born in Demerara.

          Mary Fyfe never married. She was born c 1808 in Peterhead, the daughter of Robert Fyfe and Annie Mackie. She died 13 November 1884 and is interred in lair E41 St Peter's Churchyard.

          Alexander Fuillet was baptised 12 May 1841 Peterhead, and died 25 October 1916. His wife Mary Thomson was born c 1842 Peterhead, and died in 1931. Mary was the fifth daughter of Alexander Thomson, Seaman & Margaret Annand, who were married 6 September 1825, Peterhead.

          If you think I can help to answer any other questions that you may have on the family then please just ask.

          Alison

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 6 1:16 PM
            Hello Ray,
            Now there's progress! The age spread makes me think these are the children of just one
            family, presumeably Henry and Mary. No, I didn't know this already. Knowing your interest
            in first names, is this the first time you've seen an Alexandrina! I assumed Alexandra was
            the usual female version of Alexander.

            Jace

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hennessy" <ray@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jace
            >
            > I take back my FULLER suggestion. I've just had a look at post-1855
            > births on Scotland's People and there are six people born in Peterhead
            > on their database:
            >
            > 1868 Mary Thomson FUILLET
            > 1871 Alexander FUILLET
            > 1875 Alexandrina FUILLET
            > 1877 Arthur William FUILLET
            > 1880 Alexander FUILLET
            > 1881 Elizabeth Graham FUILLET
            >
            > Clearly the family were established, but you probably know all this
            > already.
            >
            > HTH
            >
            > Ray

          • jaystonward
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 6 1:50 PM
              Hi Alison,

              I had no idea it would be this straightforward! You get hold of the right group and in
              pours all this information! Thank you so much. There may be other questions, but at the
              moment I shall have to ponder all your data! The Demerara connection is especially
              fascinating, if you had said European French, as an immigrant to Scotland I would not have
              been surprised, but from the 'Dutch West Indies'. Anyway, I am really grateful for your
              reply

              Jace

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Kennedy" <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > This family has a link with our family tree, through the Annand name -
              >
              > Elizabeth (Lizzie) Graham Fuillet was the youngest daughter of Alexander Fuillet & Mary
              T. Thomson -

              > 1865 Marriages in the District of Peterhead in the County of Aberdeen
              >
              > No. 52; 1865, October twelfth at Keith Street, Peterhead, after Banns according to the
              Forms of the Free Church of Scotland. (Signed) Alexander Fuillet, Seaman (Bachelor), age
              23, residence: Seagate, Peterhead. Parents: Henry Fuillet, Cabinet Maker (dead) & Mary
              Fuillet ms Fyfe. (Signed) Mary Thomson (Spinster), age 23, residence: Pool Lane,
              Peterhead. Parents: Alexander Thomson, Seaman & Margaret Thomson ms Annand.
              Witnesses: (signed) James Yuill, Minister of the Free Church Congregational, Peterhead,
              (signed) William Morrison, witness & John Watson, witness. Registered 1865, October 16th
              Peterhead by James Lyall, Registrar.

              > Alexander's parents Henry Fuillet and Mary Fyfe were not actually married, although the
              details on the marriage certificate suggests otherwise. Henry Fuillet married a Mary Black
              15 November 1845 St Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, and on the 1851 you will find them
              living in Old Machar Parish, Aberdeen. Henry was born about 1801, a British Subject born
              in Demerara.

              > Mary Fyfe never married. She was born c 1808 in Peterhead, the daughter of Robert
              Fyfe and Annie Mackie. She died 13 November 1884 and is interred in lair E41 St Peter's
              Churchyard.

              > Alexander Fuillet was baptised 12 May 1841 Peterhead, and died 25 October 1916. His
              wife Mary Thomson was born c 1842 Peterhead, and died in 1931. Mary was the fifth
              daughter of Alexander Thomson, Seaman & Margaret Annand, who were married 6
              September 1825, Peterhead.

              > If you think I can help to answer any other questions that you may have on the family
              then please just ask.

              > Alison

            • Hazel Holt
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 6 2:18 PM
                Hi Jace,
                I have seen a few Alexandrina's while looking through records. It seems to be quite common in this area at least to add ina to the end of a male name to make it fit a female child. I have seen the above and also Davidina, Jamesina and my Sister and Aunt are both called Williamina.

                Hazel

              • mlarooij
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 6 3:15 PM
                  Hi all,
                  While on the subject of names, I spent ages once looking for an Ann
                  only to find that that was her middle name, her first name was
                  Bruce....so never be surprised..
                  Marion

                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Hazel Holt" <hm.holt@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Jace,
                  > I have seen a few Alexandrina's while looking through records.
                  It seems to be quite common in this area at least to add ina to the
                  end of a male name to make it fit a female child. I have seen the
                  above and also Davidina, Jamesina and my Sister and Aunt are both
                  called Williamina.

                  > Hazel

                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 6 3:34 PM
                    Can I join in on these names please? My favourite so far is my 3 x great aunt, Gordonetta Forsyth, born in Duffus, 1804. Sounds just like an ice cream.

                    Jen

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 6 4:44 PM
                      Jayston Ward wrote:

                      > Now there's progress! The age spread makes me think these are the children of just one
                      > family, presumably Henry and Mary. No, I didn't know this already. Knowing your interest
                      > in first names, is this the first time you've seen an Alexandrina! I assumed Alexandra was
                      > the usual female version of Alexander.

                      Hi Jace

                      I haven't looked at the actual certificates on Scotland's People, just downloaded the hit list [a bargain at 20 pence!]. The certificates will cost a pound a time but will tell you if in fact these folk are all of one family. Unfortunately some are just too late for the IGI which generally goes up to around 1875.

                      The IGI does have these records:
                      Mary Thomson FUILLET [born 25 Sept 1868] and
                      Alexander FUILLET [born 4 April 1871]
                      were both children of
                      Alexander FUILLET [presumably christened 12 May 1841] and
                      Mary THOMAS [married 12 October 1865].

                      Alexander FUILLET [chr 12 May 1841] of Henry FUILLET & Mary FYFE.

                      Alexander & Mary's marriage certificate from Scotland's People, also one pound, should give you the ages & occupations of the couple, the names of their parents and the witnesses' names may provide you with further clues. This certificate and the children's birth ones will also give you addresses.

                      The 1881 Census, surprisingly, has only one FUILLET on it:

                      51C Broad Street, Peterhead, ED 3, page 1
                      Head: George CORMACK, seaman, aged 54
                      Wife: Catherine CORMACK, Lodging House Keeper, 54
                      Servant: Margaret FUILLET, Domestic Servant, 14, born Peterhead
                      and three Lodgers.

                      Margaret FUILLET would have been born around 1876-7 so unfortunately misses the IGI. However, I can't see why she is missing from ScP records, unless your Alexander & Mary were ship-based in which case other records need to be accessed [I only have the Scottish land-based 1881 Census CDs].

                      Re Alexandrina, I have also come across Alexanderina, which seems a bit over the top, to me!

                      Here's the commercial folks: see www.whatsinaname.net where I have tried to record all the -ina names. If you enter *ina in the search box you'll get a few dozen examples, my favourite being "Willina".

                      Note for Marion: Bruce has been a particular favourite for girls in certain areas of Scotland, especially in the Shetland Isles.

                      Hope this all makes sense, Jace.

                      Best wishes

                      Ray

                    • whyteres
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 7 2:04 AM
                        Hello Alison,

                        My GGrandfather's brother James Whyte married Mary Fuillet on 25th March
                        1891. Mary's parents were Alexander Fuillet and Mary Thomson.

                        Mary Taylor Thomson's parents were Alexander Thomson and Margaret Annand.
                        Alexander Fuillet's parents were Henry Fuillet and Mary Fyfe.

                        It looks as if we have a connection. I would like to learn more of the
                        information you and others may have regarding this family.

                        I undestand that James Whyte and his family including Arthur Fuillet Whyte
                        owned a shop in Marischal Street Peterhead near Drummers Corner. Someone may
                        be able to confirm this for me.

                        with my best wishes,

                        Colin Whyte
                        1 Cormorant Way
                        Mawson Lakes, South Australia. 5095
                        Phone: 61 8260 7524 (home)
                        Mobiles: Colin 0418 855252

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 7 4:31 AM
                          Hi Allson,

                          So, looking at your full note of the FUILLET family, in your paragraph on Henry F. and Mary
                          FYFE, are you saying they never married because his first wife Mary BLACK was still alive?
                          Would that possibilty mean that everyone knew that his relationship and family with Mary
                          Fyfe was illegitimate? I suppose I'm asking how do you know he never married Ms FYFE?
                          Or are you assuming that fact because we haven't found the marriage?
                          As one who is used to the anonymity of big cities I had always assumed that small town
                          dwellers, like the fishing community of Peterhead, could hide little.
                          I wonder if his earlier marriage with Mary Black had any issue? I haven't found any
                          FUILLETS mentioned except from the Peterhead branch of his family with May FYFE.

                          Thank you again for your patience and knowledge.

                          Jace

                          > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Kennedy" <alison2kennedy@> wrote:

                          > > Alexander's parents Henry Fuillet and Mary Fyfe were not actually married, although
                          the
                          > details on the marriage certificate suggests otherwise. Henry Fuillet married a Mary
                          Black
                          > 15 November 1845 St Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen, and on the 1851 you will find them
                          > living in Old Machar Parish, Aberdeen. Henry was born about 1801, a British Subject
                          born
                          > in Demerara.
                          > > Alison
                        • Alison Kennedy
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 7 2:53 PM
                            Hi Jace & Colin,

                            I'll try to answer some of the questions:
                            1.. Mary Fyfe never married - census returns show Mary as unmarried, and death certificate lists her as single.
                            2.. Henry Fuillet married Mary Black 15 November 1845, St Nicholas. He is shown on 1851 living in Aberdeen with wife Mary and daughter, also Mary. Henry died 1863, his death certificate lists Mary Black as his wife.
                            3.. Illegitimate births were common. Figures for the third quarter of 1884 for Peterhead show 129 births, of which 14 were illegitimate. So roughly 10% of births at this time would have been illegitimate.
                            4.. The name Fuillet depended on who the informant / registrar was! Variants on the spelling includes Fulliet; Feuillet; Fullet (there may be others).
                            5.. According to the 1851 census - Henry and Mary Black had a daughter Mary Francess Feuillet (I don't have birth details), but she was born c 1845.
                            6.. I have various census returns on the family. The 1881 Peterhead census lists Alexander and wife Mary along with 4 of the children. The Margaret listed living with George & Catherine Cormack was the eldest of their children.
                            7.. Children of Alexander Fuillet & Mary Thomson:
                            1.. Margaret (Maggie) Thomson Fulliet b. 27 August 1866, Phd
                            2.. Mary Thomson Fuillet, b. 25 September 1868, Phd
                            3.. Alexander Thomson Fuillet, b. 4 April 1871, Phd - died 1873.
                            4.. Jane Thomson Feuillet, b. 28 May 1873, Phd
                            5.. Alexandrina Fuillet, b. 1875 Phd
                            6.. Arthur William Fuillet, b. 1877 Phd
                            7.. Alexander Fuillet, b.1880 Phd, died 1880.
                            8.. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Graham Fuillet, b. 1881 Phd.
                            8.. Children often had "ina" added to a name if the parents wanted to name a child after a male relative in the family. Elizabeth Graham Fuillet was named after Mary Fuillet's (ms Thomson) sister Elizabeth who married David Graham 1877 in Aberdeen.
                            9.. Henry Feuillet died 13 October 1863 in Aberdeen. Parents were Joseph Feuillet, Coffee Planter (deceased) & Mary Feuillet ms Francess (deceased).
                            10.. I have already given you marriage details of Alexander Fuillet & Mary Thomson, and I can give you the details, & census returns, of some of the other members (but due to other committments over the next few days, this probably won't be before the weekend).
                            I trust the above information is helpful to both Jace and Colin. Again if you need / or are looking for any specific information then please ask. I can't guarantee that I've got the answers but I'll certainly see if I can help.

                            Alison

                            So, looking at your full note of the FUILLET family, in your paragraph on Henry F. and Mary
                            FYFE, are you saying they never married because his first wife Mary BLACK was still alive?
                            Would that possibilty mean that everyone knew that his relationship and family with Mary
                            Fyfe was illegitimate? I suppose I'm asking how do you know he never married Ms FYFE?
                            Or are you assuming that fact because we haven't found the marriage?
                            As one who is used to the anonymity of big cities I had always assumed that small town
                            dwellers, like the fishing community of Peterhead, could hide little.
                            I wonder if his earlier marriage with Mary Black had any issue? I haven't found any
                            FUILLETS mentioned except from the Peterhead branch of his family with May FYFE.

                            Thank you again for your patience and knowledge.

                            Jace

                            Recent Activity
                            a.. 1New Members
                            Visit Your Group
                            a.. Genealogy
                            b.. Genealogy ancestor
                            c.. Peterhead
                            d.. Scotland genealogy
                            e.. Ancestor genealogy
                            Y! GeoCities
                            Share More

                            Create a blog, web

                            site, and more.

                            Make History
                            Make Your Mark

                            The Yahoo! Time

                            Capsule Project

                            Yahoo! Groups
                            Start a group

                            in 3 easy steps.

                            Connect with others.
                            .

                          • M La Rooij
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 7 5:09 PM
                              Hi Alison,

                              As I am researching THOMSON in Peterhead, I wonder if you know who were the parents of the Alexander who married Margaret ANNAND?
                              Marion

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 8 8:55 AM
                                I don't know why I was being so dense, I now believe I have the order of Henry FUILLET's
                                affairs and marriage and of course it makes sense.
                                Looking for the name on the net in connection with Demerara or Demarary, I came up with
                                http://ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au/~rvc/edg/1805edg-people-as.html
                                Which you may have seen, no YOU almost definitely have seen! It gives a little insight into
                                the business of the coffee planters and colonial masters at that time, and the problems of
                                being a slave owner. The variant name of FEUILLET is found in these newspaper transcripts.

                                Jace
                              • Alison Kennedy
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 12 12:40 PM
                                  Hi Colin,

                                  Can you give me an indication of what information you are looking for for this family.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 14 1:39 AM
                                    Hi Alison,

                                    My GGrandfather Alexander Whyte was born illegitimately and I have had
                                    trouble proving which Alexander Whyte was his father. Through my research I
                                    have found a relation that had information from her mother that Alexander
                                    Whyte, my GGrandfather had two brothers, a bus driver and a Shop Owner.

                                    I understand that James Whyte who married Mary Fuillet on 25th March 1891
                                    owned a shop in Peterhead and his brother was a bus driver. I was hoping
                                    that you may know something of this extension of the family and could
                                    confirm the shop ownership in Marischal Street. My interests are really the
                                    Whytes but I was hoping you may know information about Mary Fuillet and her
                                    children to confirm information I have. This will in turn confirm for me
                                    that I have thr right Alexander Whyte as my GGGrandfather.

                                    I hope this makes sense and that you can help me.

                                    with my best wishes from a very dry South Australia.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 14 10:25 AM
                                      The wee grocery shop was on the south side of Marischal Street and we knew it as Mrs. Whyte's. It was on the east side of the close that led into a stable, Peter's Chip Shop was on the other side of the close. These shops were just a few doors east of the Regal Picture House.
                                      I went to school at the same time as Fuillet White and althogh not in his class I did know him.My time at school was 1939-1948.

                                      Jim Adams
                                      Calgary Albeta

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 15 1:17 AM
                                        Many, many thanks for the information Jim.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
                                          A little belated Alison but many thanks. I appreciate your efforts.

                                          with my best wishes,

                                          Colin Whyte