Re: [Peterhead] Fuillet surname

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
      Hi Jace,
      There was also another child to Henry and Mary;
      IGI
      Alexander Fuillett
      christened 12th May 1841 Peterhead

      I've searched the 1841 census but can't find Henry and Mary even using soundex to vary the spelling of the surname.
      I'll have another look tomorrow.
      Catherine

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
        Hi Jayston

        Welcome to the group.

        FUILLET isn't in my books of Surnames. I would
        suggest you have a look at the original film. It may
        be a mis-transcription by one of the 10,000 LDS
        volunteers. FULLER looks like a possible alternative.
        [Neither is in our tree though, sorry.]

        Unfortunately, FULLER isn't in the FreeCEN 1841
        Census either, and Soundex doesn't find any useful
        alternative.

        If it is actually FUILLET, then French is a fair guess.
        Google & Yahoo each get 500-600 hits and most of
        the primary ones are French surnames.

        There are few rules for the Lists, but there are some
        conventions. Surnames in capitals is a good principle
        although some Listers seem to think it a waste of their
        typing time. I personally think it helps recipients spot
        "their" surnames which is the whole point of the Lists.

        Good luck

        Best wishes

        Ray Hennessy
        Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net