Fuillet surname

  • Jayston Ward
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
      This is my first posting to any group, so if I breach
      the rules, please tell me, and I'll try to do better
      next time. Can anyone help with connecting Elizabeth
      Graham Fuillet to the previous generation of Fuillets
      I found on IGI (LDS). That is Henry and Mary Fuillet
      (Fife=maiden name).

      I think she married Leonard Ward, was he a Peterhead
      man? Somehow I think your local penitentiary comes
      into this somewhere. Also 'Fuillet' as a surname, was
      it French? Any help would be really appreciated.

      Jace

    • Cci
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
        Hi Jace,
        There was also another child to Henry and Mary;
        IGI
        Alexander Fuillett
        christened 12th May 1841 Peterhead

        I've searched the 1841 census but can't find Henry and Mary even using soundex to vary the spelling of the surname.
        I'll have another look tomorrow.
        Catherine

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
          Hi Jayston

          Welcome to the group.

          FUILLET isn't in my books of Surnames. I would
          suggest you have a look at the original film. It may
          be a mis-transcription by one of the 10,000 LDS
          volunteers. FULLER looks like a possible alternative.
          [Neither is in our tree though, sorry.]

          Unfortunately, FULLER isn't in the FreeCEN 1841
          Census either, and Soundex doesn't find any useful
          alternative.

          If it is actually FUILLET, then French is a fair guess.
          Google & Yahoo each get 500-600 hits and most of
          the primary ones are French surnames.

          There are few rules for the Lists, but there are some
          conventions. Surnames in capitals is a good principle
          although some Listers seem to think it a waste of their
          typing time. I personally think it helps recipients spot
          "their" surnames which is the whole point of the Lists.

          Good luck

          Best wishes

          Ray Hennessy
          Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net