McLeod/Angus of Peterhead

  • highlander0108
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
      Looking for any information on my great grandfather, my namesake,
      Kenneth McLeod and associated family. From information I have,
      Kenneth married Mary Jane Angus and died about 1955. Mary Jane died
      in 1964, just before I was born. Last address for them was at 2
      Port Henry Road. They had 2 children, William Angus (my
      grandfather) and Jane, both of whom have passed away. Kenneth had a
      sister Margaret, and brothers Edward Angus, Murdoch, and William
      Angus. Kenneth's parents were Murdoch McLeod and Margaret Angus.
      Family stories say that the McLeod's came from Ullapool, but I
      cannot find that connection. I also am wondering if my great
      grandmother Mary Jane Angus was related to my great great
      grandmother Margaret Angus. I have read a transcript from Agnes
      (Angus) Buchan who says that there was only one Angus family in
      Peterhead. She also mentioned that many Angus' left for Austraila.
      I do know that several came to the USA and worked in Barre, VT in
      the granite quarries.

      I am planning to visit Peterhead soon and am wondering if
      any "cousins" are still around from my family. I am also related to
      the Bairds. Barbara Baird was my great great grandmother, who
      married John Angus, father of Mary Jane Angus. By the way, Carolyn
      has been very helpful in researching this side of my family. I am
      thinking of starting a website on the Angus' of Peterhead in a
      similar fashion as Carolyn has done with her Baird relatives and
      would like to contact any Angus relatives of Peterhead.

      Thanks in advance.
      Ken MacLeod (grandfather changed from Mc to Mac when he immigrated
      to the USA in 1927)
    • roy_henderson_1955
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2007
        Hi Ken,

        I believe that we may be related on the Angus side.

        I think that your Margaret Angus may be the sister of James Murrison
        Angus who was my great grandfather. James had a son called Murdoch
        McLeod Angus and I initially could see no reason for that. However,
        I eventually found that James' sister Margaret married a Murdoch
        McLeod and that would have explained it. Margaret also appears to
        have had an illegitimate child she called Edward McLeod Angus -
        perhaps before her marriage to Murdoch.

        There is an ANGUS gravestone in the Kirkyard which mentions what
        would have been Margaret's parents - William and Ann Angus. In that
        lair, but not on the stone, is a Margaret McLeod aged 5 years.
        Again, I could see no reason for that until I found the McLeod
        connection.

        I don't immediately think that Mary Jane Angus was directly related
        to Margaret Angus. I noticed a headstone for another Angus family
        which may be a possible connection.

        Regards,

        Roy

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "highlander0108"
        <highlander0108@...> wrote:

        > Looking for any information on my great grandfather, my namesake,
        > Kenneth McLeod and associated family. From information I have,
        > Kenneth married Mary Jane Angus and died about 1955. Mary Jane
        died
        > in 1964, just before I was born. Last address for them was at 2
        > Port Henry Road. They had 2 children, William Angus (my
        > grandfather) and Jane, both of whom have passed away. Kenneth had
        > sister Margaret, and brothers Edward Angus, Murdoch, and William
        > Angus. Kenneth's parents were Murdoch McLeod and Margaret Angus.
        > Family stories say that the McLeod's came from Ullapool, but I
        > cannot find that connection. I also am wondering if my great
        > grandmother Mary Jane Angus was related to my great great
        > grandmother Margaret Angus. I have read a transcript from Agnes
        > (Angus) Buchan who says that there was only one Angus family in
        > Peterhead. She also mentioned that many Angus' left for
        Austraila.
        > I do know that several came to the USA and worked in Barre, VT in
        > the granite quarries.
        >
        > I am planning to visit Peterhead soon and am wondering if
        > any "cousins" are still around from my family. I am also related
        > the Bairds. Barbara Baird was my great great grandmother, who
        > married John Angus, father of Mary Jane Angus. By the way,
        Carolyn
        > has been very helpful in researching this side of my family. I am
        > thinking of starting a website on the Angus' of Peterhead in a
        > similar fashion as Carolyn has done with her Baird relatives and
        > would like to contact any Angus relatives of Peterhead.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > Ken MacLeod (grandfather changed from Mc to Mac when he immigrated
        > to the USA in 1927)

      • highlander0108
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27 6:51 PM
          Here's a link to the Murdoch McLeod Angus information

          http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?
          source=collections/virtualmem/Detail&casualty=496892

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "roy_henderson_1955"
          <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Peterhead. She also mentioned that many Angus' left for
          > Austraila.
          > > I do know that several came to the USA and worked in Barre, VT in
          > > the granite quarries.
          > >
          > > I am planning to visit Peterhead soon and am wondering if
          > > any "cousins" are still around from my family. I am also related
          > > the Bairds. Barbara Baird was my great great grandmother, who
          > > married John Angus, father of Mary Jane Angus. By the way,
          > Carolyn
          > > has been very helpful in researching this side of my family. I
          am
          > > thinking of starting a website on the Angus' of Peterhead in a
          > > similar fashion as Carolyn has done with her Baird relatives and
          > > would like to contact any Angus relatives of Peterhead.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.
          > > Ken MacLeod (grandfather changed from Mc to Mac when he

        • Kenneth MacLeod
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28 4:57 PM
            Roy,

            I have attached a pic of my great great grandfather John Angus' headstone. It also includes my great grandfather Kenneth McLeod and great grandmother Mary Jane (Angus) McLeod. John Angus was born in Ellon. I have pretty extensive documentation on this branch of the Angu family in Peterhead and they are not related as far as I can see, going back to your WIlliam Angus. Is this headstone in the same cemetery? My uncle took the picture when he visited several years ago.

            Regards,

            Ken