Re: [Peterhead] William MURRAY

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
      Hi Marion,
      This is what I found.
      Yes there is a William Murray in the early 1800'a a weaver, and as a tanner:
      eg
      18 Oct 1814 William Murray, Tanner in Peterhead a son William
      witnesses Peter Leslie and George Stirling

      Perhaps this is the William (baby) married in the 1840's.
      eg
      William Murray, Shoemaker in Peterhead and Mary Frazer
      his wife a dau Elizabeth Frazer born 13 June 1845
      in fornication and baptised 12 Aug 1845
      before Andrew Frazer and Allan Morgan

      This is the rest of the entires I found.

      11 Feb 1819 William Murray a son George
      wit Robert Ross and Alexander Skene

      (about this time there are entries for an Alexander Skene.
      One is a Captain in the 4th R.V.R. Damhead and one as a
      Carpenter. This might be the conection for the militiaman)

      21 March 1816 William Murray a dau Elizabeth
      wit Alexander Skene and John Chisholm

      On an earlier date with Murray's as occupation as a weaver,
      in Peterhead

      10 Sept 1777 William Murray, Weaver a son bap James
      12 Sept 1779 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Margaret
      17 June 1775 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Anne

      Catherine

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
        Hi,

        Thanks for this. I think this William is too old, but may be
        connected anyway, the same church was used later. I am stuck with
        the usual problem of having usually no wife named & that dreadful
        gap to 1841 & worse, 1855+, most of even the chn seem to have died
        by then. I am happy to collect as many possibles as there are, in
        an attempt to sort them out somehow. There is no chn William to this
        couple I see, unless they had others elsewhere.
        Cheers,
        Marion

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "ngratton" <ngratton@...> wrote:

        > I have a William Murray married to a ? Ogston having 4 children
        >
        > James
        > Anne
        > Christian
        > Margaret
        >
        > all are on www.familysearch.org under batch C100151 under father
        William Murray.

        > This may or may not be helpful to you
        > good luck

      • mlarooij
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
          Hi Catherine,

          Many thanks for these. I have found a William MURRAY who married a
          Grace (or Grizzel) BRUCE, & another who married an Elizabeth BODDY.
          The William/Grace pair did live into the census/certs period but
          have found only a dau, Grace, so far.
          Somehow I don't think he is the weaver.

          Also it seems a jump from weaving to tanning, quite a pleasant
          occupation to an unpleasant one, would that be likely? Maybe two
          Williams. The witnesses are a help. Couldn't find a William a
          weaver in 1841. FreeCEN had a bit of a hissy fit when I tried it
          with MURRAY! And yet there doesn't appear to be too many of them in
          Peterhead.
          Every scrap helps!
          Cheers,
          Marion

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Cci" <cci@...> wrote:

          > Hi Marion,
          > This is what I found.
          > Yes there is a William Murray in the early 1800'a a weaver, and as
          a tanner:
          > eg
          > 18 Oct 1814 William Murray, Tanner in Peterhead a son William
          > witnesses Peter Leslie and George Stirling
          >
          > Perhaps this is the William (baby) married in the 1840's.
          > eg
          > William Murray, Shoemaker in Peterhead and Mary Frazer
          > his wife a dau Elizabeth Frazer born 13 June 1845
          > in fornication and baptised 12 Aug 1845
          > before Andrew Frazer and Allan Morgan
          >
          > This is the rest of the entires I found.
          >
          > 11 Feb 1819 William Murray a son George
          > wit Robert Ross and Alexander Skene
          >
          > (about this time there are entries for an Alexander Skene.
          > One is a Captain in the 4th R.V.R. Damhead and one as a
          > Carpenter. This might be the conection for the militiaman)
          >
          > 21 March 1816 William Murray a dau Elizabeth
          > wit Alexander Skene and John Chisholm
          >
          > On an earlier date with Murray's as occupation as a weaver,
          > in Peterhead
          >
          > 10 Sept 1777 William Murray, Weaver a son bap James
          > 12 Sept 1779 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Margaret
          > 17 June 1775 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Anne
          >
          > Catherine

          10/14/2006

        • Cci
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 17, 2006
            Hi Marion,
            There were 80 people living in Peterhead in 1841 with the surname MURRAY, the only one with weaver was a Margaret Murray and she was a net weaver.
            The William Murray with wife and daughter Grace lived in Berryden, Peterhead and he was a farmer.
            If I find anything else I'll send it along.

            10/14/2006

          • mlarooij
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 17, 2006
              Hi Catherine,
              80!! Well they didn't come up but will try at various times to get
              them. I find it works better at some times than others.
              I think a net weaver would be fishing nets? Found a reference to a
              baptism in 1814, a child of William, a tanner. The weaver William
              was having chn earlier so most likely they are different people. Any
              info most welcome.

              Date:
              > 10/14/2006

              10/16/2006

            • mlarooij
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 22, 2006
                Further to this I have now found that William MURRAY, weaver,
                married to Elspet OGSTON is probably the man I want. Thanks to info
                sent by group! Seems I under-estimated his age. Also perhaps
                mistaken the relationship.. although he could still be a brother
                just. There is an Elspet dau of William OGSTON, chr 1756 in
                Peterhead, so might be the wife. Any further info most gratefully
                received.

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "mlarooij" <mlarooij@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > Thanks for this. I think this William is too old, but may be
                > connected anyway, the same church was used later. I am stuck with
                > the usual problem of having usually no wife named & that dreadful
                > gap to 1841 & worse, 1855+, most of even the chn seem to have died
                > by then. I am happy to collect as many possibles as there are, in
                > an attempt to sort them out somehow. There is no chn William to
                this
                > couple I see, unless they had others elsewhere.
                > Cheers,
                > Marion
                >

                > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "ngratton" <ngratton@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have a William Murray married to a ? Ogston having 4 children
                > >
                > > James
                > > Anne
                > > Christian
                > > Margaret
                > >
                > > all are on www.familysearch.org under batch C100151 under father
                > William Murray.
                > >
                > > This may or may not be helpful to you
                > > good luck

              • ngratton
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 22, 2006
                  Thanks for this, I am interested toa daughter Christian b 1783 0r 1782 who married a William Farquhar 22 February 1803 . If this is your line i am a direct descendent about 6 generations on living in New Zealand and have the pedigree back to William Murray and ? Elspeth Ogston and would be willing to share

                  Thanks Noelene