Re: [Peterhead] William MURRAY

  • ngratton
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2006
      I have a William Murray married to a ? Ogston having 4 children

      James
      Anne
      Christian
      Margaret

      all are on www.familysearch.org under batch C100151 under father William Murray.

      This may or may not be helpful to you
      good luck
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
        Hi Marion,
        This is what I found.
        Yes there is a William Murray in the early 1800'a a weaver, and as a tanner:
        eg
        18 Oct 1814 William Murray, Tanner in Peterhead a son William
        witnesses Peter Leslie and George Stirling

        Perhaps this is the William (baby) married in the 1840's.
        eg
        William Murray, Shoemaker in Peterhead and Mary Frazer
        his wife a dau Elizabeth Frazer born 13 June 1845
        in fornication and baptised 12 Aug 1845
        before Andrew Frazer and Allan Morgan

        This is the rest of the entires I found.

        11 Feb 1819 William Murray a son George
        wit Robert Ross and Alexander Skene

        (about this time there are entries for an Alexander Skene.
        One is a Captain in the 4th R.V.R. Damhead and one as a
        Carpenter. This might be the conection for the militiaman)

        21 March 1816 William Murray a dau Elizabeth
        wit Alexander Skene and John Chisholm

        On an earlier date with Murray's as occupation as a weaver,
        in Peterhead

        10 Sept 1777 William Murray, Weaver a son bap James
        12 Sept 1779 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Margaret
        17 June 1775 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Anne

        Catherine

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
          Hi,

          Thanks for this. I think this William is too old, but may be
          connected anyway, the same church was used later. I am stuck with
          the usual problem of having usually no wife named & that dreadful
          gap to 1841 & worse, 1855+, most of even the chn seem to have died
          by then. I am happy to collect as many possibles as there are, in
          an attempt to sort them out somehow. There is no chn William to this
          couple I see, unless they had others elsewhere.
          Cheers,
          Marion

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "ngratton" <ngratton@...> wrote:

          > I have a William Murray married to a ? Ogston having 4 children
          >
          > James
          > Anne
          > Christian
          > Margaret
          >
          > all are on www.familysearch.org under batch C100151 under father
          William Murray.

          > This may or may not be helpful to you
          > good luck

        • mlarooij
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
            Hi Catherine,

            Many thanks for these. I have found a William MURRAY who married a
            Grace (or Grizzel) BRUCE, & another who married an Elizabeth BODDY.
            The William/Grace pair did live into the census/certs period but
            have found only a dau, Grace, so far.
            Somehow I don't think he is the weaver.

            Also it seems a jump from weaving to tanning, quite a pleasant
            occupation to an unpleasant one, would that be likely? Maybe two
            Williams. The witnesses are a help. Couldn't find a William a
            weaver in 1841. FreeCEN had a bit of a hissy fit when I tried it
            with MURRAY! And yet there doesn't appear to be too many of them in
            Peterhead.
            Every scrap helps!
            Cheers,
            Marion

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Cci" <cci@...> wrote:

            > Hi Marion,
            > This is what I found.
            > Yes there is a William Murray in the early 1800'a a weaver, and as
            a tanner:
            > eg
            > 18 Oct 1814 William Murray, Tanner in Peterhead a son William
            > witnesses Peter Leslie and George Stirling
            >
            > Perhaps this is the William (baby) married in the 1840's.
            > eg
            > William Murray, Shoemaker in Peterhead and Mary Frazer
            > his wife a dau Elizabeth Frazer born 13 June 1845
            > in fornication and baptised 12 Aug 1845
            > before Andrew Frazer and Allan Morgan
            >
            > This is the rest of the entires I found.
            >
            > 11 Feb 1819 William Murray a son George
            > wit Robert Ross and Alexander Skene
            >
            > (about this time there are entries for an Alexander Skene.
            > One is a Captain in the 4th R.V.R. Damhead and one as a
            > Carpenter. This might be the conection for the militiaman)
            >
            > 21 March 1816 William Murray a dau Elizabeth
            > wit Alexander Skene and John Chisholm
            >
            > On an earlier date with Murray's as occupation as a weaver,
            > in Peterhead
            >
            > 10 Sept 1777 William Murray, Weaver a son bap James
            > 12 Sept 1779 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Margaret
            > 17 June 1775 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Anne
            >
            > Catherine

            10/14/2006

          • Cci
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 17, 2006
              Hi Marion,
              There were 80 people living in Peterhead in 1841 with the surname MURRAY, the only one with weaver was a Margaret Murray and she was a net weaver.
              The William Murray with wife and daughter Grace lived in Berryden, Peterhead and he was a farmer.
              If I find anything else I'll send it along.

              10/14/2006

            • mlarooij
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 17, 2006
                Hi Catherine,
                80!! Well they didn't come up but will try at various times to get
                them. I find it works better at some times than others.
                I think a net weaver would be fishing nets? Found a reference to a
                baptism in 1814, a child of William, a tanner. The weaver William
                was having chn earlier so most likely they are different people. Any
                info most welcome.

                Date:
                > 10/14/2006

                10/16/2006

              • mlarooij
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 22, 2006
                  Further to this I have now found that William MURRAY, weaver,
                  married to Elspet OGSTON is probably the man I want. Thanks to info
                  sent by group! Seems I under-estimated his age. Also perhaps
                  mistaken the relationship.. although he could still be a brother
                  just. There is an Elspet dau of William OGSTON, chr 1756 in
                  Peterhead, so might be the wife. Any further info most gratefully
                  received.

                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "mlarooij" <mlarooij@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Thanks for this. I think this William is too old, but may be
                  > connected anyway, the same church was used later. I am stuck with
                  > the usual problem of having usually no wife named & that dreadful
                  > gap to 1841 & worse, 1855+, most of even the chn seem to have died
                  > by then. I am happy to collect as many possibles as there are, in
                  > an attempt to sort them out somehow. There is no chn William to
                  this
                  > couple I see, unless they had others elsewhere.
                  > Cheers,
                  > Marion
                  >

                  > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "ngratton" <ngratton@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have a William Murray married to a ? Ogston having 4 children
                  > >
                  > > James
                  > > Anne
                  > > Christian
                  > > Margaret
                  > >
                  > > all are on www.familysearch.org under batch C100151 under father
                  > William Murray.
                  > >
                  > > This may or may not be helpful to you
                  > > good luck

                • ngratton
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 22, 2006
                    Thanks for this, I am interested toa daughter Christian b 1783 0r 1782 who married a William Farquhar 22 February 1803 . If this is your line i am a direct descendent about 6 generations on living in New Zealand and have the pedigree back to William Murray and ? Elspeth Ogston and would be willing to share

                    Thanks Noelene