William MURRAY

  • mlarooij
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2006
      I am looking for informaton on a William MURRAY, weaver, Peterhead,
      having children c1800. There is also a William MURRAY, a Militiaman,
      just after that time. Could they be one & the same man? Assuming
      that militia means a local group & not regular army. There seems to
      be a group of chn at the beginning of the 1800s, then a gap to the
      next decade. Either another William or a second wife perhaps. Anyone
      with any idea please?
      TIA,
      Marion
    • ngratton
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2006
        I have a William Murray married to a ? Ogston having 4 children

        James
        Anne
        Christian
        Margaret

        all are on www.familysearch.org under batch C100151 under father William Murray.

        This may or may not be helpful to you
        good luck

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
          Hi Marion,
          This is what I found.
          Yes there is a William Murray in the early 1800'a a weaver, and as a tanner:
          eg
          18 Oct 1814 William Murray, Tanner in Peterhead a son William
          witnesses Peter Leslie and George Stirling

          Perhaps this is the William (baby) married in the 1840's.
          eg
          William Murray, Shoemaker in Peterhead and Mary Frazer
          his wife a dau Elizabeth Frazer born 13 June 1845
          in fornication and baptised 12 Aug 1845
          before Andrew Frazer and Allan Morgan

          This is the rest of the entires I found.

          11 Feb 1819 William Murray a son George
          wit Robert Ross and Alexander Skene

          (about this time there are entries for an Alexander Skene.
          One is a Captain in the 4th R.V.R. Damhead and one as a
          Carpenter. This might be the conection for the militiaman)

          21 March 1816 William Murray a dau Elizabeth
          wit Alexander Skene and John Chisholm

          On an earlier date with Murray's as occupation as a weaver,
          in Peterhead

          10 Sept 1777 William Murray, Weaver a son bap James
          12 Sept 1779 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Margaret
          17 June 1775 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Anne

          Catherine

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
            Hi,

            Thanks for this. I think this William is too old, but may be
            connected anyway, the same church was used later. I am stuck with
            the usual problem of having usually no wife named & that dreadful
            gap to 1841 & worse, 1855+, most of even the chn seem to have died
            by then. I am happy to collect as many possibles as there are, in
            an attempt to sort them out somehow. There is no chn William to this
            couple I see, unless they had others elsewhere.
            Cheers,
            Marion

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "ngratton" <ngratton@...> wrote:

            > I have a William Murray married to a ? Ogston having 4 children
            >
            > James
            > Anne
            > Christian
            > Margaret
            >
            > all are on www.familysearch.org under batch C100151 under father
            William Murray.

            > This may or may not be helpful to you
            > good luck

          • mlarooij
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
              Hi Catherine,

              Many thanks for these. I have found a William MURRAY who married a
              Grace (or Grizzel) BRUCE, & another who married an Elizabeth BODDY.
              The William/Grace pair did live into the census/certs period but
              have found only a dau, Grace, so far.
              Somehow I don't think he is the weaver.

              Also it seems a jump from weaving to tanning, quite a pleasant
              occupation to an unpleasant one, would that be likely? Maybe two
              Williams. The witnesses are a help. Couldn't find a William a
              weaver in 1841. FreeCEN had a bit of a hissy fit when I tried it
              with MURRAY! And yet there doesn't appear to be too many of them in
              Peterhead.
              Every scrap helps!
              Cheers,
              Marion

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Cci" <cci@...> wrote:

              > Hi Marion,
              > This is what I found.
              > Yes there is a William Murray in the early 1800'a a weaver, and as
              a tanner:
              > eg
              > 18 Oct 1814 William Murray, Tanner in Peterhead a son William
              > witnesses Peter Leslie and George Stirling
              >
              > Perhaps this is the William (baby) married in the 1840's.
              > eg
              > William Murray, Shoemaker in Peterhead and Mary Frazer
              > his wife a dau Elizabeth Frazer born 13 June 1845
              > in fornication and baptised 12 Aug 1845
              > before Andrew Frazer and Allan Morgan
              >
              > This is the rest of the entires I found.
              >
              > 11 Feb 1819 William Murray a son George
              > wit Robert Ross and Alexander Skene
              >
              > (about this time there are entries for an Alexander Skene.
              > One is a Captain in the 4th R.V.R. Damhead and one as a
              > Carpenter. This might be the conection for the militiaman)
              >
              > 21 March 1816 William Murray a dau Elizabeth
              > wit Alexander Skene and John Chisholm
              >
              > On an earlier date with Murray's as occupation as a weaver,
              > in Peterhead
              >
              > 10 Sept 1777 William Murray, Weaver a son bap James
              > 12 Sept 1779 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Margaret
              > 17 June 1775 William Murray, Weaver a dau bap Anne
              >
              > Catherine

              10/14/2006

            • Cci
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 17, 2006
                Hi Marion,
                There were 80 people living in Peterhead in 1841 with the surname MURRAY, the only one with weaver was a Margaret Murray and she was a net weaver.
                The William Murray with wife and daughter Grace lived in Berryden, Peterhead and he was a farmer.
                If I find anything else I'll send it along.

                10/14/2006

              • mlarooij
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2006
                  Hi Catherine,
                  80!! Well they didn't come up but will try at various times to get
                  them. I find it works better at some times than others.
                  I think a net weaver would be fishing nets? Found a reference to a
                  baptism in 1814, a child of William, a tanner. The weaver William
                  was having chn earlier so most likely they are different people. Any
                  info most welcome.

                  Date:
                  > 10/14/2006

                  10/16/2006

                • mlarooij
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 22, 2006
                    Further to this I have now found that William MURRAY, weaver,
                    married to Elspet OGSTON is probably the man I want. Thanks to info
                    sent by group! Seems I under-estimated his age. Also perhaps
                    mistaken the relationship.. although he could still be a brother
                    just. There is an Elspet dau of William OGSTON, chr 1756 in
                    Peterhead, so might be the wife. Any further info most gratefully
                    received.

                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "mlarooij" <mlarooij@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Thanks for this. I think this William is too old, but may be
                    > connected anyway, the same church was used later. I am stuck with
                    > the usual problem of having usually no wife named & that dreadful
                    > gap to 1841 & worse, 1855+, most of even the chn seem to have died
                    > by then. I am happy to collect as many possibles as there are, in
                    > an attempt to sort them out somehow. There is no chn William to
                    this
                    > couple I see, unless they had others elsewhere.
                    > Cheers,
                    > Marion
                    >

                    > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "ngratton" <ngratton@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have a William Murray married to a ? Ogston having 4 children
                    > >
                    > > James
                    > > Anne
                    > > Christian
                    > > Margaret
                    > >
                    > > all are on www.familysearch.org under batch C100151 under father
                    > William Murray.
                    > >
                    > > This may or may not be helpful to you
                    > > good luck

                  • ngratton
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 22, 2006
                      Thanks for this, I am interested toa daughter Christian b 1783 0r 1782 who married a William Farquhar 22 February 1803 . If this is your line i am a direct descendent about 6 generations on living in New Zealand and have the pedigree back to William Murray and ? Elspeth Ogston and would be willing to share

                      Thanks Noelene