Re: [Peterhead] Newspapers

  • Alison Kennedy
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hi,

      Microfilm is available in both Peterhead Library and also the Central Aberdeen Library, Local Studies Section, for the Buchan Observer. There is also microfilm of the Aberdeen Journal (from 1747) and other newspapers, some of which dedicated a column or two to news from local towns throughout Aberdeenshire. Requests for information & lookups (there is a nominal charge for this) can certainly be made to the Central Aberdeen Library (or if you live within reach you can do the research yourself).

      www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/ACCI/web/site/Libraries/NS/LocalStudies.asp

      e-mail: centrallibrary@...

      As far as I am aware the paper started in 1863. It was also known as the East Aberdeenshire Observer from Oct. 1875 - Dec. 1877.

      What names & dates are you looking for? There may already be others within the group with the information that you are looking for.

      There is varying amount of information that may or may not be written about someone when they married or died. Sometimes you will find nothing on someone well known and sometimes you will find a death notice for someone described as a pauper on their death certificate. You will need dates for the life happenings that you are looking for, otherwise you are literally looking for a needle in a haystack.

      Alison

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
        Many thanks Alison, Ray & Carolyn for your help. No chance of
        getting to Scotland for me I'm afraid. You have given me good
        information to consider. There are 3 people at the moment I am
        researching without success. As Alison suggested, someone may know
        something.
        Many thanks Alison, Ray & Carolyn for your help.

        No chance of getting to Scotland for me I'm afraid. You have given
        me good information to consider. There are 3 people at the moment I
        am researching without success. As Alison suggested, someone may
        know something.

        They are George MILNE bc1782 Peterhead according to the 1851 census.
        He married Ann GREIG, was a cooper, & died at Keith-inch (or was
        buried) 17 Feb 1853 in Lair A345.

        Also John MURRAY, a linnen hand loom weaver, who was down as 61 on
        the 1841 census, so born c1780 Aberdeenshire. He died or was buried
        18 Sep 1847 at Maiden st. Peterhead & was buried Lair E55 St Peter;s
        Kirkyard. He married (1) Jean MILNE & (2) Ann MURRAY. Ann died 16
        May 1876 & was the dau of Alexandr MURRAY from Crimond & his wife
        Jane ms PENNEY. I am interested though in information on the first
        wife Jean MILNE. She died/was buried 10 Nov 1823.

        Otherwise I would consider a researcher. I cannot think of any other
        areas to search. There is so little in the church records & they are
        too early for certificates.

        Cheers,
        Marion