Re: [Peterhead] Newspapers

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      Re mlarooij's query and Carolyn's response:

      I feel I have to caution mlarooij about the value of the Buchanie
      archive, especially if you cannot get to Scotland [from New
      Zealand it's not a simple day-trip!!]

      We spent a frustrating afternoon in the Peterhead Library last May.
      Unfortunately the Observer is not indexed in any way, at least not
      back in the mid-Victorian period. The staff were very helpful, but
      they could do nothing to help us find reports of ancestors. These
      turned out to be non-existent - the reports, not the ancestors - as
      far as we could determine.

      The film reader only showed half of each page so we had to move
      left to right every time we moved on to a new screenful of image.
      The facility could not have been less user-friendly if they had tried.

      Not the staff's fault but unless you know more or less exactly when
      an event might have been reported, it is a very hit-or-miss affair.
      And you either have to go to the library or get someone to do it for
      you - probably for a fee - with no guarantee of success.

      Sorry to rain on the parade but it is as well to be aware. To answer
      mlarooij's original question: death notices for local tradesmen would
      be inserted in the paper by relatives. Obituaries would be published
      only if the person was of good standing in the community although
      notoriety might also be recorded! We couldn't find any of value in
      two hours eye-splitting searching but we have no idea if the rellies
      we were looking for would have been worth reporting in the paper.

      But, despite all the above misery, good luck with your search.

      Ray

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hi,

        Microfilm is available in both Peterhead Library and also the Central Aberdeen Library, Local Studies Section, for the Buchan Observer. There is also microfilm of the Aberdeen Journal (from 1747) and other newspapers, some of which dedicated a column or two to news from local towns throughout Aberdeenshire. Requests for information & lookups (there is a nominal charge for this) can certainly be made to the Central Aberdeen Library (or if you live within reach you can do the research yourself).

        www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/ACCI/web/site/Libraries/NS/LocalStudies.asp

        e-mail: centrallibrary@...

        As far as I am aware the paper started in 1863. It was also known as the East Aberdeenshire Observer from Oct. 1875 - Dec. 1877.

        What names & dates are you looking for? There may already be others within the group with the information that you are looking for.

        There is varying amount of information that may or may not be written about someone when they married or died. Sometimes you will find nothing on someone well known and sometimes you will find a death notice for someone described as a pauper on their death certificate. You will need dates for the life happenings that you are looking for, otherwise you are literally looking for a needle in a haystack.

        Alison

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
          Many thanks Alison, Ray & Carolyn for your help. No chance of
          getting to Scotland for me I'm afraid. You have given me good
          information to consider. There are 3 people at the moment I am
          researching without success. As Alison suggested, someone may know
          something.
          Many thanks Alison, Ray & Carolyn for your help.

          No chance of getting to Scotland for me I'm afraid. You have given
          me good information to consider. There are 3 people at the moment I
          am researching without success. As Alison suggested, someone may
          know something.

          They are George MILNE bc1782 Peterhead according to the 1851 census.
          He married Ann GREIG, was a cooper, & died at Keith-inch (or was
          buried) 17 Feb 1853 in Lair A345.

          Also John MURRAY, a linnen hand loom weaver, who was down as 61 on
          the 1841 census, so born c1780 Aberdeenshire. He died or was buried
          18 Sep 1847 at Maiden st. Peterhead & was buried Lair E55 St Peter;s
          Kirkyard. He married (1) Jean MILNE & (2) Ann MURRAY. Ann died 16
          May 1876 & was the dau of Alexandr MURRAY from Crimond & his wife
          Jane ms PENNEY. I am interested though in information on the first
          wife Jean MILNE. She died/was buried 10 Nov 1823.

          Otherwise I would consider a researcher. I cannot think of any other
          areas to search. There is so little in the church records & they are
          too early for certificates.

          Cheers,
          Marion