Re: Lovie

  • Christine Tregonning
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
      Dear Group,

      As the subject of Lovies has come up I thought I would add my query:

      My ancestor James LOVIE was a merchant in Fraserburgh although
      according to the 1851 census he was born in Peterhead. He was born
      about 1803/1804 and died in New Zealand in 1872 aged 68 after
      emigrating there in 1860.

      I have been trying to confirm his parentage without success. There is
      a James LOVIE who was born in Longside to George LOVIE and Margaret
      M.S. WATSON who I think is a definite possibility however according to
      other sources this James LOVIE was married to Agnes BREBNER and had
      most probably died before 1851.

      My James LOVIE married Catherine FRASER in Fraserburgh in 1839.

      New Zealand death certificates before about 1876 did not include the
      parents of the deceased.

      Any ideas or information would be appreciated.

      Regards,

      Christine

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "usstweedy" <cmosfets@...> wrote:

      > If you look at my web-site angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead you will find
      > some Lovie's. I have not updated the site for a year, and I have some
      > others. If you find anything of interest, let me know and I will give
      > you what ever I have.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Jim Allan
      > Beacon, New york

    • Katrina
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 21, 2006
        G'day from Australia,

        I've been on this list a while but this is my first message. I've been
        trying to contact you, Jim, as you have some of my relatives on your site.

        Below is the relevant entry, Elias Johnstone GILES was my 2x great
        grandfather's brother. I'm guessing your interest comes from his wife's
        mother who was Isabella Allan. I've delved into the Giles family quite a
        bit and would be happy to help if you would like further information.

        Isabella Ann Allan GILES
        BIRTH: 4 Jun 1883, 20 Windmill St. Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
        OCCUPATION: 1909, Dressmaker
        Address: 1909, 14 Upper grove Place, Edinburgh
        Father: Elias Johnstone GILES
        Mother: Margaret Thomson MCLEOD

        MARRIAGE: 5 Jun 1909, 35 George V Bridge, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

        Robert Alexander MEIKLEJOHN
        BIRTH: 5 Aug 1884, Borgie, Tongue, Sutherland, Scotland
        OCCUPATION: 1909, Hotel Storekeeper
        Address: 1909, North British Hotel, Edinburgh
        Father: Robert MEIKLEJOHN
        Mother: Margaret DOULL

        Also the lady below married Elias Giles' brother David Sangster Giles on
        the 7th Jan 1891 but she passed away on 5th Dec 1893 from Phthisis.

        Margaret GEDDES
        24 Apr 1869 - ____
        BIRTH: 24 Apr 1869, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
        Father: James GEDDES
        Mother: Christina LAMB

        Thanks for your website.

        Regards,