Peterhead Drill Hall was demolished around about 1975

  • Sam Daniel
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2006
      Hi,

            With a little help from my friends, it would appear that the
      Peterhead Drill Hall was demolished in 1975. The Buchan Observer on 1st
      March of that year noted that the antique slates had been removed from the
      roof. The Drill Hall came down soon thereafter to make way for a
      multi-thousand pound roundabout.

      It seems that at the time there was some opposition to its
      demolition, but Peterhead being a forward looking town, demolished its
      heritage along with many of the original houses in Threadneedle St and
      Merchant St to make way for a car park. After WWII, the hall was used as a
      badminton court, a dance hall and as a gymnasium.

      The Drill Hall used local craftsmen in local granite in its
      construction and should have been designated a Historical Building. The
      hall was built in 1879 at a cost of £1,500 raised by public subscription
      and by the riflemen of the 9th A.R.V Peterhead. The hall was handed over
      in 1881 to the Officer commanding the battalion and to be held in trust for
      the Peterhead Comapny. The Riflemen were the successors to the Old
      Defensibles who manned the town's batteries since the foundation of Keith
      Inch.

      Kind regards, cordiali saluti, vänliga hälsningar,

      mit freundlichen grüssen, lep pozdrav,

      Sam
    • Carolyn Morrisey
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2006
        Thanks for all that information Sam. It is much appreciated.

        Carolyn

        --
        Carolyn Morrisey
        Readings and Reserve Officer