Re: [Peterhead] George SIMPSON, Shipmaster

  • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 9, 2006
      Marion this is our phone number [ 03 ] 4558288 ring me / Lyn Tilbury
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 9, 2006
        Hi Lyn,
        I would be interested to have details of George Simpson but I don't
        think it is one of my Simpsons.Simpson is a very common name especially in
        the NE of Scotland.
        Many thanks for your message,Malcolm Simpson.
        > I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994,
        BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
        > Other info if needed by anyone
        > Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

        04/09/06

        7/09/2006

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > --

      • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 10, 2006
          I can now send you the hole Disc with more than one entry for George Simpson on it
          No 1 says born ABD age 18 in 1851
          No 2 says born Huntly age 20
          No 3 says born Peterhead age 20
          No 4 says born ABD age 23
          No 5 says born Ellon age 50
          Also there is a James born ABD
          Regards Lyn Tilbury Dunedin , i.l.tilbury@...

          > I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994,
          BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
          > Other info if needed by anyone
          > Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

          04/09/06

          7/09/2006

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > --

        • ogstonfamilyresearcher
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 15, 2010
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "malcolm.simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

            > George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
            > unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
            > in 1848 in his 51st.year.
            > Family home Merchant St.Peterhead.Family lair in Old Cemetry 387.Have more
            > info,regards family and career.Best Wishes,Malcolm Simpson ggGrandson.

            George Simpson born 1797 in Peterhead that raised his family on Merchant St is my GGG Grandfather. I am a descendant of his daughter Ann's 2nd marriage to Alexander Stevenson.

            I have attempted to put my family tree online and you can see it here
            http://smarlow.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=smarlow&view=0&pid=112&rand=678381631&switch=0

            I would love to know how you fit in this wonderful family!

            Cheers
            Susan
          • Malcolm Simpson
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
              Dear Susan,
              Lovely to see your family tree.I have a substanial amount of information on the Simpson family but not in the fashion of yours.
              George Simpson had nine children as far as I know,three boys and six girls.The three boys all went to sea and became shipmasters in the whaling trade.The youngest Alexander,born 1834 was my gGrandfather,died Stirling in 1919.
              He had a very interesting career at sea eventually having his own vessel the "Traveller"of Peterhead.He and his wife Christian Ewen had eleven children,the eldest son Alexander also a shipmaster was my Grandfather.
              So there were once many Simpsons but I don't know any of the present generation other than my immediate family.Hope this helps.Best Wishes, Malcolm Simpson

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                > Dear Susan,
                > Lovely to see your family tree.I have a substanial amount of information on the Simpson family but not in the fashion of yours.
                > George Simpson had nine children as far as I know,three boys and six girls.The three boys all went to sea and became shipmasters in the whaling trade.The youngest Alexander,born 1834 was my gGrandfather,died Stirling in 1919.
                > He had a very interesting career at sea eventually having his own vessel the "Traveller"of Peterhead.He and his wife Christian Ewen had eleven children,the eldest son Alexander also a shipmaster was my Grandfather.
                > So there were once many Simpsons but I don't know any of the present generation other than my immediate family.Hope this helps.Best Wishes, Malcolm Simpson

                Hi Malcolm,

                I just want to verify that my information is correct.

                George Simpson b 1797 married Janet Innes and they had
                Jane Simpson b 1821
                Anne Simpson b 1824 - my gg grandmother
                John Simpson b 1826
                Margaret Simpson b 1827
                Eliza Simpson b 1828
                George Simpson b 1830
                Mary Simpson b 1832
                Alexander Simpson b 1834 - your g grandfather
                Helen Simpson b 1836

                Cheers
                Susan
              • David Britt
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                  For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
                  Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

                  I cannot account for him after his birth - could there be a connection.  For
                  Malcolm... I also have Alexander Ogston b. 1796 prob. Pitsligo Parish married
                  Isabella Scott  and a  John Ogston b. c1754 Probably Peterhead married Margaret
                  Sangster d/o John Sangster and Janet Gray..db

                  David Britt
                  Oceanside, California

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, David Britt <mpexota@...> wrote:

                    > For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
                    > Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

                    Hi David - Thanks for the heads up on George Simpson - that may be him - I will have to look into that further! Will let you know!

                    Thanks again
                    Susan
                  • Malcolm Simpson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 17, 2010
                      Hi Susan,
                      All your information as far as I know it is correct.The only correction I can make is that George Simpson's mother was Margaret Buchan,daughter of George Buchan a harbour pilot at Peterhead.Hope this helps.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 17, 2010
                        Hi David,
                        I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
                        Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                          Hi Malcolm and David,

                          So I went looking to see if I could find any other possibilities for our George Simpson. This is what I have found.

                          Name: George Simpson
                          Gender: Male
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 14 Feb 1785
                          Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                          Father's Name: John Simpson
                          Mother's Name: Reid Walker
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 991137
                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                          Name: George Simpson
                          Gender: Male
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 23 May 1785
                          Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                          Father's Name: Joseph Simpson
                          Mother's Name: Frances Burnett
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 991137
                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                          Name: George Simpson
                          Gender: Male
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 04 Sep 1787
                          Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                          Father's Name: William Simpson
                          Mother's Name: Jean Webster
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 991206
                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                          Name: George Simpson
                          Gender: Male
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1788
                          Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                          Father's Name: John Simpson
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 993299
                          Reference Number:
                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                          Name: George Simpson
                          Gender: Male
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
                          Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                          Father's Name: George Simpson
                          Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 991206
                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                          Name: George Simpson
                          Gender: Male
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
                          Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                          Father's Name: Peter Simpson
                          Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 991137
                          Reference Number:
                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                          Name: George Simpson
                          Gender: Male
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 20 Jul 1798
                          Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                          Father's Name: Alexander Simpson
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 993181
                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                          Name: George Simpson
                          Gender: Male
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jun 1799
                          Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                          Father's Name: George Simpson
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 993181
                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                          Name: George Simpson
                          Gender: Male
                          Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Feb 1799
                          Baptism/Christening Place: BIRSE,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                          Father's Name: John Simpson
                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11175-2
                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                          Source Film Number: 991258
                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                          Any ideas on how to select with one is the George Simpson that was the shipmaster in Peterhead?

                          Cheers
                          Susan

                          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                          > Hi David,
                          > I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
                          > Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

                        • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                            Hi Malcolm and David,

                            Missed a couple – here is the new list – in order for dates between 1770-1799 for Aberdeenshire for George Simpson. TOO MANY to choose from!

[...]

                            Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Sep 1791
                            Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: George Simpson
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 993299
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
                            Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: George Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 991206
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date:
                            Baptism/Christening Place:
                            Birth Date: 15 Mar 1798
                            Birthplace: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: John Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Jean Gaw
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 993482
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: Geo. Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 21 Mar 1793
                            Baptism/Christening Place: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: George Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Isobel Milne
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 993482
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
                            Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: Peter Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 991137
                            Reference Number:
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 19 Apr 1794
                            Baptism/Christening Place: KING EDWARD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Birth Date: 12 Apr 1794
                            Father's Name: Alexr. Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Janet Gall
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11210-2
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 993334
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Apr 1794
                            Baptism/Christening Place: SLAINS,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Birth Date: 15 Apr 1794
                            Father's Name: George Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Jean Kelly
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11239-5
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 993361
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 26 Jan 1797
                            Baptism/Christening Place: MIDMAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: John Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Jane Fyfe
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11222-2
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 993344
[...]

                          • Alison Kennedy
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                              I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                              found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                              registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                              until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                              you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                              possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                              relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                              death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                              Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                              witnesses or informants.

                              Regards

                              Alison

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                                Hi Alison,

                                I know you are quite right and I thank you for your response. But optimism is my middle name and brick walls were meant to tumble down! haha And who knows - maybe some kind soul out there will have the information I am looking for and post it.

                                Cheers
                                Susan

                                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

                                > I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                                > found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                                > registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                                > until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                                > you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                                > possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                                > relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                                > death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                                > Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                                > witnesses or informants.
                                >
                                > Regards
                                >
                                > Alison

                              • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 12, 2011
                                  Malcolm - please contact me at familyhunter57(at)gmail.com. I have found more information on our growing Simpson family!!!

                                  Cheers
                                  Susan