Re: [Peterhead] George SIMPSON, Shipmaster

  • M La Rooij
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
      Hi Margie,
      I see there was a lot of trading with Poland over the centuries, nice to know what it was they were trading.
      Cheers,
      Marion
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 9, 2006
        Marion this is our phone number [ 03 ] 4558288 ring me / Lyn Tilbury
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 9, 2006
          Hi Lyn,
          I would be interested to have details of George Simpson but I don't
          think it is one of my Simpsons.Simpson is a very common name especially in
          the NE of Scotland.
          Many thanks for your message,Malcolm Simpson.
          > I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994,
          BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
          > Other info if needed by anyone
          > Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

          04/09/06

          7/09/2006

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > --

        • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 10, 2006
            I can now send you the hole Disc with more than one entry for George Simpson on it
            No 1 says born ABD age 18 in 1851
            No 2 says born Huntly age 20
            No 3 says born Peterhead age 20
            No 4 says born ABD age 23
            No 5 says born Ellon age 50
            Also there is a James born ABD
            Regards Lyn Tilbury Dunedin , i.l.tilbury@...

            > I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994,
            BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
            > Other info if needed by anyone
            > Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

            04/09/06

            7/09/2006

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > --

          • ogstonfamilyresearcher
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 15 3:32 PM
              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "malcolm.simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

              > George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
              > unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
              > in 1848 in his 51st.year.
              > Family home Merchant St.Peterhead.Family lair in Old Cemetry 387.Have more
              > info,regards family and career.Best Wishes,Malcolm Simpson ggGrandson.

              George Simpson born 1797 in Peterhead that raised his family on Merchant St is my GGG Grandfather. I am a descendant of his daughter Ann's 2nd marriage to Alexander Stevenson.

              I have attempted to put my family tree online and you can see it here
              http://smarlow.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=smarlow&view=0&pid=112&rand=678381631&switch=0

              I would love to know how you fit in this wonderful family!

              Cheers
              Susan
            • Malcolm Simpson
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 16 8:12 AM
                Dear Susan,
                Lovely to see your family tree.I have a substanial amount of information on the Simpson family but not in the fashion of yours.
                George Simpson had nine children as far as I know,three boys and six girls.The three boys all went to sea and became shipmasters in the whaling trade.The youngest Alexander,born 1834 was my gGrandfather,died Stirling in 1919.
                He had a very interesting career at sea eventually having his own vessel the "Traveller"of Peterhead.He and his wife Christian Ewen had eleven children,the eldest son Alexander also a shipmaster was my Grandfather.
                So there were once many Simpsons but I don't know any of the present generation other than my immediate family.Hope this helps.Best Wishes, Malcolm Simpson

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 16 8:56 AM
                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Susan,
                  > Lovely to see your family tree.I have a substanial amount of information on the Simpson family but not in the fashion of yours.
                  > George Simpson had nine children as far as I know,three boys and six girls.The three boys all went to sea and became shipmasters in the whaling trade.The youngest Alexander,born 1834 was my gGrandfather,died Stirling in 1919.
                  > He had a very interesting career at sea eventually having his own vessel the "Traveller"of Peterhead.He and his wife Christian Ewen had eleven children,the eldest son Alexander also a shipmaster was my Grandfather.
                  > So there were once many Simpsons but I don't know any of the present generation other than my immediate family.Hope this helps.Best Wishes, Malcolm Simpson

                  Hi Malcolm,

                  I just want to verify that my information is correct.

                  George Simpson b 1797 married Janet Innes and they had
                  Jane Simpson b 1821
                  Anne Simpson b 1824 - my gg grandmother
                  John Simpson b 1826
                  Margaret Simpson b 1827
                  Eliza Simpson b 1828
                  George Simpson b 1830
                  Mary Simpson b 1832
                  Alexander Simpson b 1834 - your g grandfather
                  Helen Simpson b 1836

                  Cheers
                  Susan
                • David Britt
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 16 10:34 AM
                    For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
                    Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

                    I cannot account for him after his birth - could there be a connection.  For
                    Malcolm... I also have Alexander Ogston b. 1796 prob. Pitsligo Parish married
                    Isabella Scott  and a  John Ogston b. c1754 Probably Peterhead married Margaret
                    Sangster d/o John Sangster and Janet Gray..db

                    David Britt
                    Oceanside, California

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 16 6:41 PM
                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, David Britt <mpexota@...> wrote:

                      > For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
                      > Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

                      Hi David - Thanks for the heads up on George Simpson - that may be him - I will have to look into that further! Will let you know!

                      Thanks again
                      Susan
                    • Malcolm Simpson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 17 8:23 AM
                        Hi Susan,
                        All your information as far as I know it is correct.The only correction I can make is that George Simpson's mother was Margaret Buchan,daughter of George Buchan a harbour pilot at Peterhead.Hope this helps.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 17 8:30 AM
                          Hi David,
                          I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
                          Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 21 10:00 AM
                            Hi Malcolm and David,

                            So I went looking to see if I could find any other possibilities for our George Simpson. This is what I have found.

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 14 Feb 1785
                            Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: John Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Reid Walker
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 991137
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 23 May 1785
                            Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: Joseph Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Frances Burnett
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 991137
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 04 Sep 1787
                            Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: William Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Jean Webster
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 991206
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1788
                            Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: John Simpson
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 993299
                            Reference Number:
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
                            Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: George Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 991206
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
                            Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: Peter Simpson
                            Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 991137
                            Reference Number:
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 20 Jul 1798
                            Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: Alexander Simpson
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 993181
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jun 1799
                            Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: George Simpson
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 993181
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Name: George Simpson
                            Gender: Male
                            Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Feb 1799
                            Baptism/Christening Place: BIRSE,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                            Father's Name: John Simpson
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11175-2
                            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                            Source Film Number: 991258
                            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                            Any ideas on how to select with one is the George Simpson that was the shipmaster in Peterhead?

                            Cheers
                            Susan

                            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                            > Hi David,
                            > I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
                            > Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

                          • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 21 10:18 AM
                              Hi Malcolm and David,

                              Missed a couple – here is the new list – in order for dates between 1770-1799 for Aberdeenshire for George Simpson. TOO MANY to choose from!

[...]

                              Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Sep 1791
                              Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                              Father's Name: George Simpson
                              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
                              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                              Source Film Number: 993299
                              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                              Name: George Simpson
                              Gender: Male
                              Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
                              Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                              Father's Name: George Simpson
                              Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
                              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                              Source Film Number: 991206
                              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                              Name: George Simpson
                              Gender: Male
                              Baptism/Christening Date:
                              Baptism/Christening Place:
                              Birth Date: 15 Mar 1798
                              Birthplace: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                              Father's Name: John Simpson
                              Mother's Name: Jean Gaw
                              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
                              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                              Source Film Number: 993482
                              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                              Name: Geo. Simpson
                              Gender: Male
                              Baptism/Christening Date: 21 Mar 1793
                              Baptism/Christening Place: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                              Father's Name: George Simpson
                              Mother's Name: Isobel Milne
                              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
                              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                              Source Film Number: 993482
                              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                              Name: George Simpson
                              Gender: Male
                              Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
                              Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                              Father's Name: Peter Simpson
                              Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
                              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                              Source Film Number: 991137
                              Reference Number:
                              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                              Name: George Simpson
                              Gender: Male
                              Baptism/Christening Date: 19 Apr 1794
                              Baptism/Christening Place: KING EDWARD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                              Birth Date: 12 Apr 1794
                              Father's Name: Alexr. Simpson
                              Mother's Name: Janet Gall
                              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11210-2
                              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                              Source Film Number: 993334
                              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                              Name: George Simpson
                              Gender: Male
                              Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Apr 1794
                              Baptism/Christening Place: SLAINS,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                              Birth Date: 15 Apr 1794
                              Father's Name: George Simpson
                              Mother's Name: Jean Kelly
                              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11239-5
                              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                              Source Film Number: 993361
                              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                              Name: George Simpson
                              Gender: Male
                              Baptism/Christening Date: 26 Jan 1797
                              Baptism/Christening Place: MIDMAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                              Father's Name: John Simpson
                              Mother's Name: Jane Fyfe
                              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11222-2
                              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                              Source Film Number: 993344
[...]

                            • Alison Kennedy
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 21 11:56 AM
                                I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                                found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                                registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                                until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                                you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                                possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                                relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                                death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                                Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                                witnesses or informants.

                                Regards

                                Alison

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 21 12:28 PM
                                  Hi Alison,

                                  I know you are quite right and I thank you for your response. But optimism is my middle name and brick walls were meant to tumble down! haha And who knows - maybe some kind soul out there will have the information I am looking for and post it.

                                  Cheers
                                  Susan

                                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

                                  > I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                                  > found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                                  > registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                                  > until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                                  > you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                                  > possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                                  > relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                                  > death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                                  > Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                                  > witnesses or informants.
                                  >
                                  > Regards
                                  >
                                  > Alison

                                • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 12, 2011
                                    Malcolm - please contact me at familyhunter57(at)gmail.com. I have found more information on our growing Simpson family!!!

                                    Cheers
                                    Susan