Re: [Peterhead] George SIMPSON, Shipmaster

  • MARGIE DAVIDSON
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
      be followed. Fancy dying in Poland! Do they have certificates? Do you know how he died? Anything that might help, I am quite desperate!
      Cheers,
      Marion

      George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
      unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
      in 1848 in his 51st.year.

      Stettin was one of the places where they sent salt herring after curing. It would not have been unusual for a Peterhead shipmaster to be there,

      Margie

      Margie

    • M La Rooij
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
        Hi Lyn!
        Would be delighted to have anything.
        Cheers,
        Marion

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
          Hi Margie,
          I see there was a lot of trading with Poland over the centuries, nice to know what it was they were trading.
          Cheers,
          Marion
          be followed. Fancy dying in Poland! Do they have certificates? Do you know how he died? Anything that might help, I am quite desperate!
          Cheers,
          Marion

          George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
          unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
          in 1848 in his 51st.year.

          Stettin was one of the places where they sent salt herring after curing. It would not have been unusual for a Peterhead shipmaster to be there,

          Margie

          Margie

        • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 9, 2006
            Marion this is our phone number [ 03 ] 4558288 ring me / Lyn Tilbury
            I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994, BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
            Other info if needed by anyone
            Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

            > I am revisiting the above as I feel he must be somehow connected to
            > the families I am researching. Does anyone have any idea as to his
            > vital details, especially his parentage? I see from the postings he
            > married Margaret BUCHAN.
            > TIA

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --

          • malcolm.simpson
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 9, 2006
              Hi Lyn,
              I would be interested to have details of George Simpson but I don't
              think it is one of my Simpsons.Simpson is a very common name especially in
              the NE of Scotland.
              Many thanks for your message,Malcolm Simpson.
              > I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994,
              BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
              > Other info if needed by anyone
              > Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

              04/09/06

              7/09/2006

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > --

            • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 10, 2006
                I can now send you the hole Disc with more than one entry for George Simpson on it
                No 1 says born ABD age 18 in 1851
                No 2 says born Huntly age 20
                No 3 says born Peterhead age 20
                No 4 says born ABD age 23
                No 5 says born Ellon age 50
                Also there is a James born ABD
                Regards Lyn Tilbury Dunedin , i.l.tilbury@...

                > I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994,
                BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
                > Other info if needed by anyone
                > Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

                04/09/06

                7/09/2006

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > --

              • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 15, 2010
                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "malcolm.simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                  > George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
                  > unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
                  > in 1848 in his 51st.year.
                  > Family home Merchant St.Peterhead.Family lair in Old Cemetry 387.Have more
                  > info,regards family and career.Best Wishes,Malcolm Simpson ggGrandson.

                  George Simpson born 1797 in Peterhead that raised his family on Merchant St is my GGG Grandfather. I am a descendant of his daughter Ann's 2nd marriage to Alexander Stevenson.

                  I have attempted to put my family tree online and you can see it here
                  http://smarlow.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=smarlow&view=0&pid=112&rand=678381631&switch=0

                  I would love to know how you fit in this wonderful family!

                  Cheers
                  Susan
                • Malcolm Simpson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                    Dear Susan,
                    Lovely to see your family tree.I have a substanial amount of information on the Simpson family but not in the fashion of yours.
                    George Simpson had nine children as far as I know,three boys and six girls.The three boys all went to sea and became shipmasters in the whaling trade.The youngest Alexander,born 1834 was my gGrandfather,died Stirling in 1919.
                    He had a very interesting career at sea eventually having his own vessel the "Traveller"of Peterhead.He and his wife Christian Ewen had eleven children,the eldest son Alexander also a shipmaster was my Grandfather.
                    So there were once many Simpsons but I don't know any of the present generation other than my immediate family.Hope this helps.Best Wishes, Malcolm Simpson

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Susan,
                      > Lovely to see your family tree.I have a substanial amount of information on the Simpson family but not in the fashion of yours.
                      > George Simpson had nine children as far as I know,three boys and six girls.The three boys all went to sea and became shipmasters in the whaling trade.The youngest Alexander,born 1834 was my gGrandfather,died Stirling in 1919.
                      > He had a very interesting career at sea eventually having his own vessel the "Traveller"of Peterhead.He and his wife Christian Ewen had eleven children,the eldest son Alexander also a shipmaster was my Grandfather.
                      > So there were once many Simpsons but I don't know any of the present generation other than my immediate family.Hope this helps.Best Wishes, Malcolm Simpson

                      Hi Malcolm,

                      I just want to verify that my information is correct.

                      George Simpson b 1797 married Janet Innes and they had
                      Jane Simpson b 1821
                      Anne Simpson b 1824 - my gg grandmother
                      John Simpson b 1826
                      Margaret Simpson b 1827
                      Eliza Simpson b 1828
                      George Simpson b 1830
                      Mary Simpson b 1832
                      Alexander Simpson b 1834 - your g grandfather
                      Helen Simpson b 1836

                      Cheers
                      Susan
                    • David Britt
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                        For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
                        Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

                        I cannot account for him after his birth - could there be a connection.  For
                        Malcolm... I also have Alexander Ogston b. 1796 prob. Pitsligo Parish married
                        Isabella Scott  and a  John Ogston b. c1754 Probably Peterhead married Margaret
                        Sangster d/o John Sangster and Janet Gray..db

                        David Britt
                        Oceanside, California

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, David Britt <mpexota@...> wrote:

                          > For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
                          > Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

                          Hi David - Thanks for the heads up on George Simpson - that may be him - I will have to look into that further! Will let you know!

                          Thanks again
                          Susan
                        • Malcolm Simpson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 17, 2010
                            Hi Susan,
                            All your information as far as I know it is correct.The only correction I can make is that George Simpson's mother was Margaret Buchan,daughter of George Buchan a harbour pilot at Peterhead.Hope this helps.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 17, 2010
                              Hi David,
                              I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
                              Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                                Hi Malcolm and David,

                                So I went looking to see if I could find any other possibilities for our George Simpson. This is what I have found.

                                Name: George Simpson
                                Gender: Male
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 14 Feb 1785
                                Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                Father's Name: John Simpson
                                Mother's Name: Reid Walker
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 991137
                                Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                Name: George Simpson
                                Gender: Male
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 23 May 1785
                                Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                Father's Name: Joseph Simpson
                                Mother's Name: Frances Burnett
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 991137
                                Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                Name: George Simpson
                                Gender: Male
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 04 Sep 1787
                                Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                Father's Name: William Simpson
                                Mother's Name: Jean Webster
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                                System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 991206
                                Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                Name: George Simpson
                                Gender: Male
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1788
                                Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                Father's Name: John Simpson
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
                                System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 993299
                                Reference Number:
                                Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                Name: George Simpson
                                Gender: Male
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
                                Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                Father's Name: George Simpson
                                Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                                System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 991206
                                Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                Name: George Simpson
                                Gender: Male
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
                                Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                Father's Name: Peter Simpson
                                Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 991137
                                Reference Number:
                                Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                Name: George Simpson
                                Gender: Male
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 20 Jul 1798
                                Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                Father's Name: Alexander Simpson
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
                                System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 993181
                                Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                Name: George Simpson
                                Gender: Male
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jun 1799
                                Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                Father's Name: George Simpson
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
                                System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 993181
                                Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                Name: George Simpson
                                Gender: Male
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Feb 1799
                                Baptism/Christening Place: BIRSE,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                Father's Name: John Simpson
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11175-2
                                System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 991258
                                Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                Any ideas on how to select with one is the George Simpson that was the shipmaster in Peterhead?

                                Cheers
                                Susan

                                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                                > Hi David,
                                > I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
                                > Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

                              • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                                  Hi Malcolm and David,

                                  Missed a couple – here is the new list – in order for dates between 1770-1799 for Aberdeenshire for George Simpson. TOO MANY to choose from!

[...]

                                  Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Sep 1791
                                  Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                  Father's Name: George Simpson
                                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
                                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                  Source Film Number: 993299
                                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                  Name: George Simpson
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
                                  Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                  Father's Name: George Simpson
                                  Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
                                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                  Source Film Number: 991206
                                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                  Name: George Simpson
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Baptism/Christening Date:
                                  Baptism/Christening Place:
                                  Birth Date: 15 Mar 1798
                                  Birthplace: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                  Father's Name: John Simpson
                                  Mother's Name: Jean Gaw
                                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
                                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                  Source Film Number: 993482
                                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                  Name: Geo. Simpson
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Baptism/Christening Date: 21 Mar 1793
                                  Baptism/Christening Place: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                  Father's Name: George Simpson
                                  Mother's Name: Isobel Milne
                                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
                                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                  Source Film Number: 993482
                                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                  Name: George Simpson
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
                                  Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                  Father's Name: Peter Simpson
                                  Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
                                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                  Source Film Number: 991137
                                  Reference Number:
                                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                  Name: George Simpson
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Baptism/Christening Date: 19 Apr 1794
                                  Baptism/Christening Place: KING EDWARD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                  Birth Date: 12 Apr 1794
                                  Father's Name: Alexr. Simpson
                                  Mother's Name: Janet Gall
                                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11210-2
                                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                  Source Film Number: 993334
                                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                  Name: George Simpson
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Apr 1794
                                  Baptism/Christening Place: SLAINS,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                  Birth Date: 15 Apr 1794
                                  Father's Name: George Simpson
                                  Mother's Name: Jean Kelly
                                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11239-5
                                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                  Source Film Number: 993361
                                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                  Name: George Simpson
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Baptism/Christening Date: 26 Jan 1797
                                  Baptism/Christening Place: MIDMAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                  Father's Name: John Simpson
                                  Mother's Name: Jane Fyfe
                                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11222-2
                                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                  Source Film Number: 993344
[...]

                                • Alison Kennedy
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                                    I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                                    found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                                    registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                                    until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                                    you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                                    possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                                    relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                                    death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                                    Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                                    witnesses or informants.

                                    Regards

                                    Alison

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                                      Hi Alison,

                                      I know you are quite right and I thank you for your response. But optimism is my middle name and brick walls were meant to tumble down! haha And who knows - maybe some kind soul out there will have the information I am looking for and post it.

                                      Cheers
                                      Susan

                                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

                                      > I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                                      > found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                                      > registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                                      > until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                                      > you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                                      > possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                                      > relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                                      > death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                                      > Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                                      > witnesses or informants.
                                      >
                                      > Regards
                                      >
                                      > Alison

                                    • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 12, 2011
                                        Malcolm - please contact me at familyhunter57(at)gmail.com. I have found more information on our growing Simpson family!!!

                                        Cheers
                                        Susan