[Peterhead] George SIMPSON, Shipmaster

  • M La Rooij
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 7, 2006
      Hi Malcolm, thanks for this. Unless George was a compulsive witnesser, he should be connected as he turns up repeatedly, mostly with John MURRAY. I supose it could be through a marriage of one of the chn. As you know there is so little information prior to the census & civil registration any clue has to be followed. Fancy dying in Poland! Do they have certificates? Do you know how he died? Anything that might help, I am quite desperate!
      Cheers,
      Marion

      George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
      unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
      in 1848 in his 51st.year.
      Family home Merchant St.Peterhead.Family lair in Old Cemetry 387.Have more
      info,regards family and career.Best Wishes,Malcolm Simpson ggGrandson.
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
        Reply about George Simpsons
        I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994, BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
        Other info if needed by anyone
        Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

        > I am revisiting the above as I feel he must be somehow connected to
        > the families I am researching. Does anyone have any idea as to his
        > vital details, especially his parentage? I see from the postings he
        > married Margaret BUCHAN.
        > TIA

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --

      • MARGIE DAVIDSON
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
          be followed. Fancy dying in Poland! Do they have certificates? Do you know how he died? Anything that might help, I am quite desperate!
          Cheers,
          Marion

          George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
          unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
          in 1848 in his 51st.year.

          Stettin was one of the places where they sent salt herring after curing. It would not have been unusual for a Peterhead shipmaster to be there,

          Margie

          Margie

        • M La Rooij
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
            Hi Lyn!
            Would be delighted to have anything.
            Cheers,
            Marion

            I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994, BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
            Other info if needed by anyone
            Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

            > I am revisiting the above as I feel he must be somehow connected to
            > the families I am researching. Does anyone have any idea as to his
            > vital details, especially his parentage? I see from the postings he
            > married Margaret BUCHAN.
            > TIA

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --

          • M La Rooij
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
              Hi Margie,
              I see there was a lot of trading with Poland over the centuries, nice to know what it was they were trading.
              Cheers,
              Marion
              be followed. Fancy dying in Poland! Do they have certificates? Do you know how he died? Anything that might help, I am quite desperate!
              Cheers,
              Marion

              George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
              unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
              in 1848 in his 51st.year.

              Stettin was one of the places where they sent salt herring after curing. It would not have been unusual for a Peterhead shipmaster to be there,

              Margie

              Margie

            • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 9, 2006
                Marion this is our phone number [ 03 ] 4558288 ring me / Lyn Tilbury
                I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994, BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
                Other info if needed by anyone
                Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

                > I am revisiting the above as I feel he must be somehow connected to
                > the families I am researching. Does anyone have any idea as to his
                > vital details, especially his parentage? I see from the postings he
                > married Margaret BUCHAN.
                > TIA

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > --

              • malcolm.simpson
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 9, 2006
                  Hi Lyn,
                  I would be interested to have details of George Simpson but I don't
                  think it is one of my Simpsons.Simpson is a very common name especially in
                  the NE of Scotland.
                  Many thanks for your message,Malcolm Simpson.
                  > I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994,
                  BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
                  > Other info if needed by anyone
                  > Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

                  04/09/06

                  7/09/2006

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > --

                • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 10, 2006
                    I can now send you the hole Disc with more than one entry for George Simpson on it
                    No 1 says born ABD age 18 in 1851
                    No 2 says born Huntly age 20
                    No 3 says born Peterhead age 20
                    No 4 says born ABD age 23
                    No 5 says born Ellon age 50
                    Also there is a James born ABD
                    Regards Lyn Tilbury Dunedin , i.l.tilbury@...

                    > I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994,
                    BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
                    > Other info if needed by anyone
                    > Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

                    04/09/06

                    7/09/2006

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > --

                  • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 15 3:32 PM
                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "malcolm.simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                      > George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
                      > unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
                      > in 1848 in his 51st.year.
                      > Family home Merchant St.Peterhead.Family lair in Old Cemetry 387.Have more
                      > info,regards family and career.Best Wishes,Malcolm Simpson ggGrandson.

                      George Simpson born 1797 in Peterhead that raised his family on Merchant St is my GGG Grandfather. I am a descendant of his daughter Ann's 2nd marriage to Alexander Stevenson.

                      I have attempted to put my family tree online and you can see it here
                      http://smarlow.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=smarlow&view=0&pid=112&rand=678381631&switch=0

                      I would love to know how you fit in this wonderful family!

                      Cheers
                      Susan
                    • Malcolm Simpson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 16 8:12 AM
                        Dear Susan,
                        Lovely to see your family tree.I have a substanial amount of information on the Simpson family but not in the fashion of yours.
                        George Simpson had nine children as far as I know,three boys and six girls.The three boys all went to sea and became shipmasters in the whaling trade.The youngest Alexander,born 1834 was my gGrandfather,died Stirling in 1919.
                        He had a very interesting career at sea eventually having his own vessel the "Traveller"of Peterhead.He and his wife Christian Ewen had eleven children,the eldest son Alexander also a shipmaster was my Grandfather.
                        So there were once many Simpsons but I don't know any of the present generation other than my immediate family.Hope this helps.Best Wishes, Malcolm Simpson

                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 16 8:56 AM
                          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                          > Dear Susan,
                          > Lovely to see your family tree.I have a substanial amount of information on the Simpson family but not in the fashion of yours.
                          > George Simpson had nine children as far as I know,three boys and six girls.The three boys all went to sea and became shipmasters in the whaling trade.The youngest Alexander,born 1834 was my gGrandfather,died Stirling in 1919.
                          > He had a very interesting career at sea eventually having his own vessel the "Traveller"of Peterhead.He and his wife Christian Ewen had eleven children,the eldest son Alexander also a shipmaster was my Grandfather.
                          > So there were once many Simpsons but I don't know any of the present generation other than my immediate family.Hope this helps.Best Wishes, Malcolm Simpson

                          Hi Malcolm,

                          I just want to verify that my information is correct.

                          George Simpson b 1797 married Janet Innes and they had
                          Jane Simpson b 1821
                          Anne Simpson b 1824 - my gg grandmother
                          John Simpson b 1826
                          Margaret Simpson b 1827
                          Eliza Simpson b 1828
                          George Simpson b 1830
                          Mary Simpson b 1832
                          Alexander Simpson b 1834 - your g grandfather
                          Helen Simpson b 1836

                          Cheers
                          Susan
                        • David Britt
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 16 10:34 AM
                            For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
                            Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

                            I cannot account for him after his birth - could there be a connection.  For
                            Malcolm... I also have Alexander Ogston b. 1796 prob. Pitsligo Parish married
                            Isabella Scott  and a  John Ogston b. c1754 Probably Peterhead married Margaret
                            Sangster d/o John Sangster and Janet Gray..db

                            David Britt
                            Oceanside, California

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 16 6:41 PM
                              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, David Britt <mpexota@...> wrote:

                              > For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
                              > Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

                              Hi David - Thanks for the heads up on George Simpson - that may be him - I will have to look into that further! Will let you know!

                              Thanks again
                              Susan
                            • Malcolm Simpson
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 17 8:23 AM
                                Hi Susan,
                                All your information as far as I know it is correct.The only correction I can make is that George Simpson's mother was Margaret Buchan,daughter of George Buchan a harbour pilot at Peterhead.Hope this helps.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 17 8:30 AM
                                  Hi David,
                                  I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
                                  Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 21 10:00 AM
                                    Hi Malcolm and David,

                                    So I went looking to see if I could find any other possibilities for our George Simpson. This is what I have found.

                                    Name: George Simpson
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Baptism/Christening Date: 14 Feb 1785
                                    Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                    Father's Name: John Simpson
                                    Mother's Name: Reid Walker
                                    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                    System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                    Source Film Number: 991137
                                    Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                    Name: George Simpson
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Baptism/Christening Date: 23 May 1785
                                    Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                    Father's Name: Joseph Simpson
                                    Mother's Name: Frances Burnett
                                    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                    System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                    Source Film Number: 991137
                                    Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                    Name: George Simpson
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Baptism/Christening Date: 04 Sep 1787
                                    Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                    Father's Name: William Simpson
                                    Mother's Name: Jean Webster
                                    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                                    System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                    Source Film Number: 991206
                                    Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                    Name: George Simpson
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1788
                                    Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                    Father's Name: John Simpson
                                    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
                                    System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                    Source Film Number: 993299
                                    Reference Number:
                                    Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                    Name: George Simpson
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
                                    Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                    Father's Name: George Simpson
                                    Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
                                    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                                    System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                    Source Film Number: 991206
                                    Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                    Name: George Simpson
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
                                    Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                    Father's Name: Peter Simpson
                                    Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
                                    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                    System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                    Source Film Number: 991137
                                    Reference Number:
                                    Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                    Name: George Simpson
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Baptism/Christening Date: 20 Jul 1798
                                    Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                    Father's Name: Alexander Simpson
                                    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
                                    System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                    Source Film Number: 993181
                                    Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                    Name: George Simpson
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jun 1799
                                    Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                    Father's Name: George Simpson
                                    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
                                    System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                    Source Film Number: 993181
                                    Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                    Name: George Simpson
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Feb 1799
                                    Baptism/Christening Place: BIRSE,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                    Father's Name: John Simpson
                                    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11175-2
                                    System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                    Source Film Number: 991258
                                    Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                    Any ideas on how to select with one is the George Simpson that was the shipmaster in Peterhead?

                                    Cheers
                                    Susan

                                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi David,
                                    > I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
                                    > Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

                                  • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 21 10:18 AM
                                      Hi Malcolm and David,

                                      Missed a couple – here is the new list – in order for dates between 1770-1799 for Aberdeenshire for George Simpson. TOO MANY to choose from!

[...]

                                      Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Sep 1791
                                      Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                      Father's Name: George Simpson
                                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
                                      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                      Source Film Number: 993299
                                      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                      Name: George Simpson
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
                                      Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                      Father's Name: George Simpson
                                      Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
                                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                                      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                      Source Film Number: 991206
                                      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                      Name: George Simpson
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Baptism/Christening Date:
                                      Baptism/Christening Place:
                                      Birth Date: 15 Mar 1798
                                      Birthplace: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                      Father's Name: John Simpson
                                      Mother's Name: Jean Gaw
                                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
                                      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                      Source Film Number: 993482
                                      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                      Name: Geo. Simpson
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Baptism/Christening Date: 21 Mar 1793
                                      Baptism/Christening Place: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                      Father's Name: George Simpson
                                      Mother's Name: Isobel Milne
                                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
                                      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                      Source Film Number: 993482
                                      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                      Name: George Simpson
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
                                      Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                      Father's Name: Peter Simpson
                                      Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
                                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                      Source Film Number: 991137
                                      Reference Number:
                                      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                      Name: George Simpson
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Baptism/Christening Date: 19 Apr 1794
                                      Baptism/Christening Place: KING EDWARD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                      Birth Date: 12 Apr 1794
                                      Father's Name: Alexr. Simpson
                                      Mother's Name: Janet Gall
                                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11210-2
                                      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                      Source Film Number: 993334
                                      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                      Name: George Simpson
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Apr 1794
                                      Baptism/Christening Place: SLAINS,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                      Birth Date: 15 Apr 1794
                                      Father's Name: George Simpson
                                      Mother's Name: Jean Kelly
                                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11239-5
                                      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                      Source Film Number: 993361
                                      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                      Name: George Simpson
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Baptism/Christening Date: 26 Jan 1797
                                      Baptism/Christening Place: MIDMAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                      Father's Name: John Simpson
                                      Mother's Name: Jane Fyfe
                                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11222-2
                                      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                      Source Film Number: 993344
[...]

                                    • Alison Kennedy
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 21 11:56 AM
                                        I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                                        found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                                        registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                                        until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                                        you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                                        possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                                        relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                                        death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                                        Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                                        witnesses or informants.

                                        Regards

                                        Alison

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 21 12:28 PM
                                          Hi Alison,

                                          I know you are quite right and I thank you for your response. But optimism is my middle name and brick walls were meant to tumble down! haha And who knows - maybe some kind soul out there will have the information I am looking for and post it.

                                          Cheers
                                          Susan

                                          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

                                          > I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                                          > found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                                          > registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                                          > until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                                          > you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                                          > possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                                          > relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                                          > death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                                          > Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                                          > witnesses or informants.
                                          >
                                          > Regards
                                          >
                                          > Alison

                                        • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 12, 2011
                                            Malcolm - please contact me at familyhunter57(at)gmail.com. I have found more information on our growing Simpson family!!!

                                            Cheers
                                            Susan