George SIMPSON, Shipmaster

  • mlarooij
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 6, 2006
      Hi Everyone,

      I am revisiting the above as I feel he must be somehow connected to
      the families I am researching. Does anyone have any idea as to his
      vital details, especially his parentage? I see from the postings he
      married Margaret BUCHAN.
      TIA
    • malcolm.simpson
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 7, 2006
        George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
        unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
        in 1848 in his 51st.year.
        Family home Merchant St.Peterhead.Family lair in Old Cemetry 387.Have more
        info,regards family and career.Best Wishes,Malcolm Simpson ggGrandson.
        > I am revisiting the above as I feel he must be somehow connected to
        > the families I am researching. Does anyone have any idea as to his
        > vital details, especially his parentage? I see from the postings he
        > married Margaret BUCHAN.
        > TIA

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --

      • M La Rooij

          > I am revisiting the above as I feel he must be somehow connected to
          > the families I am researching. Does anyone have any idea as to his
          > vital details, especially his parentage? I see from the postings he
          > married Margaret BUCHAN.
          > TIA

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --

        • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
            Reply about George Simpsons
            I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994, BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
            Other info if needed by anyone
            Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

            > I am revisiting the above as I feel he must be somehow connected to
            > the families I am researching. Does anyone have any idea as to his
            > vital details, especially his parentage? I see from the postings he
            > married Margaret BUCHAN.
            > TIA

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --

          • MARGIE DAVIDSON
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
              be followed. Fancy dying in Poland! Do they have certificates? Do you know how he died? Anything that might help, I am quite desperate!
              Cheers,
              Marion

              George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
              unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
              in 1848 in his 51st.year.

              Stettin was one of the places where they sent salt herring after curing. It would not have been unusual for a Peterhead shipmaster to be there,

              Margie

              Margie

            • M La Rooij
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
                Hi Lyn!
                Would be delighted to have anything.
                Cheers,
                Marion

                I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994, BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
                Other info if needed by anyone
                Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

                > I am revisiting the above as I feel he must be somehow connected to
                > the families I am researching. Does anyone have any idea as to his
                > vital details, especially his parentage? I see from the postings he
                > married Margaret BUCHAN.
                > TIA

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > --

              • M La Rooij
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 8, 2006
                  Hi Margie,
                  I see there was a lot of trading with Poland over the centuries, nice to know what it was they were trading.
                  Cheers,
                  Marion

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 9, 2006
                    Marion this is our phone number [ 03 ] 4558288 ring me / Lyn Tilbury
                    I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994, BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
                    Other info if needed by anyone
                    Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

                    > I am revisiting the above as I feel he must be somehow connected to
                    > the families I am researching. Does anyone have any idea as to his
                    > vital details, especially his parentage? I see from the postings he
                    > married Margaret BUCHAN.
                    > TIA

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    > --

                  • malcolm.simpson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 9, 2006
                      Hi Lyn,
                      I would be interested to have details of George Simpson but I don't
                      think it is one of my Simpsons.Simpson is a very common name especially in
                      the NE of Scotland.
                      Many thanks for your message,Malcolm Simpson.
                      > I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994,
                      BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
                      > Other info if needed by anyone
                      > Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

                      04/09/06

                      7/09/2006

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > --

                    • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 10, 2006
                        I can now send you the hole Disc with more than one entry for George Simpson on it
                        No 1 says born ABD age 18 in 1851
                        No 2 says born Huntly age 20
                        No 3 says born Peterhead age 20
                        No 4 says born ABD age 23
                        No 5 says born Ellon age 50
                        Also there is a James born ABD
                        Regards Lyn Tilbury Dunedin , i.l.tilbury@...

                        > I have details seamens records of this man age 50 ticket no 115994,
                        BT.98/:2371 Born ELLON
                        > Other info if needed by anyone
                        > Lyn Tilbury i.l.tilbury@...

                        04/09/06

                        7/09/2006

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > --

                      • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 15, 2010
                          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "malcolm.simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                          > George Simpson born Peterhead 1797.Mother Margaret Buchan father
                          > unknown.Married Jane Innes of Macduff 1816.Nine or ten children.Died Stettin
                          > in 1848 in his 51st.year.
                          > Family home Merchant St.Peterhead.Family lair in Old Cemetry 387.Have more
                          > info,regards family and career.Best Wishes,Malcolm Simpson ggGrandson.

                          George Simpson born 1797 in Peterhead that raised his family on Merchant St is my GGG Grandfather. I am a descendant of his daughter Ann's 2nd marriage to Alexander Stevenson.

                          I have attempted to put my family tree online and you can see it here
                          http://smarlow.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=smarlow&view=0&pid=112&rand=678381631&switch=0

                          I would love to know how you fit in this wonderful family!

                          Cheers
                          Susan
                        • Malcolm Simpson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                            Dear Susan,
                            Lovely to see your family tree.I have a substanial amount of information on the Simpson family but not in the fashion of yours.
                            George Simpson had nine children as far as I know,three boys and six girls.The three boys all went to sea and became shipmasters in the whaling trade.The youngest Alexander,born 1834 was my gGrandfather,died Stirling in 1919.
                            He had a very interesting career at sea eventually having his own vessel the "Traveller"of Peterhead.He and his wife Christian Ewen had eleven children,the eldest son Alexander also a shipmaster was my Grandfather.
                            So there were once many Simpsons but I don't know any of the present generation other than my immediate family.Hope this helps.Best Wishes, Malcolm Simpson

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                              > Dear Susan,
                              > Lovely to see your family tree.I have a substanial amount of information on the Simpson family but not in the fashion of yours.
                              > George Simpson had nine children as far as I know,three boys and six girls.The three boys all went to sea and became shipmasters in the whaling trade.The youngest Alexander,born 1834 was my gGrandfather,died Stirling in 1919.
                              > He had a very interesting career at sea eventually having his own vessel the "Traveller"of Peterhead.He and his wife Christian Ewen had eleven children,the eldest son Alexander also a shipmaster was my Grandfather.
                              > So there were once many Simpsons but I don't know any of the present generation other than my immediate family.Hope this helps.Best Wishes, Malcolm Simpson

                              Hi Malcolm,

                              I just want to verify that my information is correct.

                              George Simpson b 1797 married Janet Innes and they had
                              Jane Simpson b 1821
                              Anne Simpson b 1824 - my gg grandmother
                              John Simpson b 1826
                              Margaret Simpson b 1827
                              Eliza Simpson b 1828
                              George Simpson b 1830
                              Mary Simpson b 1832
                              Alexander Simpson b 1834 - your g grandfather
                              Helen Simpson b 1836

                              Cheers
                              Susan
                            • David Britt
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                                For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
                                Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

                                I cannot account for him after his birth - could there be a connection.  For
                                Malcolm... I also have Alexander Ogston b. 1796 prob. Pitsligo Parish married
                                Isabella Scott  and a  John Ogston b. c1754 Probably Peterhead married Margaret
                                Sangster d/o John Sangster and Janet Gray..db

                                David Britt
                                Oceanside, California

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
                                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, David Britt <mpexota@...> wrote:

                                  > For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
                                  > Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

                                  Hi David - Thanks for the heads up on George Simpson - that may be him - I will have to look into that further! Will let you know!

                                  Thanks again
                                  Susan
                                • Malcolm Simpson
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 17, 2010
                                    Hi Susan,
                                    All your information as far as I know it is correct.The only correction I can make is that George Simpson's mother was Margaret Buchan,daughter of George Buchan a harbour pilot at Peterhead.Hope this helps.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 17, 2010
                                      Hi David,
                                      I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
                                      Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                                        Hi Malcolm and David,

                                        So I went looking to see if I could find any other possibilities for our George Simpson. This is what I have found.

                                        Name: George Simpson
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Baptism/Christening Date: 14 Feb 1785
                                        Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                        Father's Name: John Simpson
                                        Mother's Name: Reid Walker
                                        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                        Source Film Number: 991137
                                        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                        Name: George Simpson
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Baptism/Christening Date: 23 May 1785
                                        Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                        Father's Name: Joseph Simpson
                                        Mother's Name: Frances Burnett
                                        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                        Source Film Number: 991137
                                        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                        Name: George Simpson
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Baptism/Christening Date: 04 Sep 1787
                                        Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                        Father's Name: William Simpson
                                        Mother's Name: Jean Webster
                                        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                                        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                        Source Film Number: 991206
                                        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                        Name: George Simpson
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1788
                                        Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                        Father's Name: John Simpson
                                        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
                                        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                        Source Film Number: 993299
                                        Reference Number:
                                        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                        Name: George Simpson
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
                                        Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                        Father's Name: George Simpson
                                        Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
                                        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                                        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                        Source Film Number: 991206
                                        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                        Name: George Simpson
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
                                        Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                        Father's Name: Peter Simpson
                                        Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
                                        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                        Source Film Number: 991137
                                        Reference Number:
                                        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                        Name: George Simpson
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Baptism/Christening Date: 20 Jul 1798
                                        Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                        Father's Name: Alexander Simpson
                                        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
                                        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                        Source Film Number: 993181
                                        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                        Name: George Simpson
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jun 1799
                                        Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                        Father's Name: George Simpson
                                        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
                                        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                        Source Film Number: 993181
                                        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                        Name: George Simpson
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Feb 1799
                                        Baptism/Christening Place: BIRSE,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                        Father's Name: John Simpson
                                        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11175-2
                                        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                        Source Film Number: 991258
                                        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                        Any ideas on how to select with one is the George Simpson that was the shipmaster in Peterhead?

                                        Cheers
                                        Susan

                                        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi David,
                                        > I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
                                        > Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

                                      • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                                          Hi Malcolm and David,

                                          Missed a couple – here is the new list – in order for dates between 1770-1799 for Aberdeenshire for George Simpson. TOO MANY to choose from!

[...]

                                          Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Sep 1791
                                          Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                          Father's Name: George Simpson
                                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
                                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                          Source Film Number: 993299
                                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                          Name: George Simpson
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
                                          Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                          Father's Name: George Simpson
                                          Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
                                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
                                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                          Source Film Number: 991206
                                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                          Name: George Simpson
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Baptism/Christening Date:
                                          Baptism/Christening Place:
                                          Birth Date: 15 Mar 1798
                                          Birthplace: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                          Father's Name: John Simpson
                                          Mother's Name: Jean Gaw
                                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
                                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                          Source Film Number: 993482
                                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                          Name: Geo. Simpson
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Baptism/Christening Date: 21 Mar 1793
                                          Baptism/Christening Place: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                          Father's Name: George Simpson
                                          Mother's Name: Isobel Milne
                                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
                                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                          Source Film Number: 993482
                                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                          Name: George Simpson
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
                                          Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                          Father's Name: Peter Simpson
                                          Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
                                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
                                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                          Source Film Number: 991137
                                          Reference Number:
                                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                          Name: George Simpson
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Baptism/Christening Date: 19 Apr 1794
                                          Baptism/Christening Place: KING EDWARD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                          Birth Date: 12 Apr 1794
                                          Father's Name: Alexr. Simpson
                                          Mother's Name: Janet Gall
                                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11210-2
                                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                          Source Film Number: 993334
                                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                          Name: George Simpson
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Apr 1794
                                          Baptism/Christening Place: SLAINS,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                          Birth Date: 15 Apr 1794
                                          Father's Name: George Simpson
                                          Mother's Name: Jean Kelly
                                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11239-5
                                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                          Source Film Number: 993361
                                          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                          Name: George Simpson
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Baptism/Christening Date: 26 Jan 1797
                                          Baptism/Christening Place: MIDMAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                          Father's Name: John Simpson
                                          Mother's Name: Jane Fyfe
                                          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11222-2
                                          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                          Source Film Number: 993344
[...]

                                        • Alison Kennedy
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                                            I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                                            found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                                            registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                                            until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                                            you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                                            possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                                            relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                                            death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                                            Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                                            witnesses or informants.

                                            Regards

                                            Alison

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                                              Hi Alison,

                                              I know you are quite right and I thank you for your response. But optimism is my middle name and brick walls were meant to tumble down! haha And who knows - maybe some kind soul out there will have the information I am looking for and post it.

                                              Cheers
                                              Susan

                                              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

                                              > I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                                              > found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                                              > registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                                              > until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                                              > you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                                              > possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                                              > relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                                              > death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                                              > Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                                              > witnesses or informants.
                                              >
                                              > Regards
                                              >
                                              > Alison

                                            • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 12, 2011
                                                Malcolm - please contact me at familyhunter57(at)gmail.com. I have found more information on our growing Simpson family!!!

                                                Cheers
                                                Susan