Robertson Mat{t}hew's family

  • chickcorbybred
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 16, 2006
      Hi all, I am new to this site so please bear with me. I am looking for
      ancestors of Robertson Mathew he married Eliza Robertson in 1854, and
      was living with his mother and sister {both named Margaret in the 1851
      census, were there any more siblings and where was his father} my
      problem is I can't find any record of him in Scotlands People prior to
      this. I know the family tended to name the first son after his
      grandfather, so I assume Robertson's father was called Alexander as
      that was his first sons name. I am also trying to find Robertson's son
      also called Robertson, he was born in 1861 and is living with his
      parents and siblings at 5 Rose St Peterhead in the 1881 census,I can't
      find him anywhere after that. Also looking for decendants of David
      Bruce McWilliam Buchan {formerly Mathew} he married Mary Bella Geddes
      30/08/1929, he was living at 41 High St Buchanhaven Peterhead at the
      time of his marriage. David was my fathers full cousin. One of the
      things that intrigues me is most of the family that I know of have
      second names which where maiden names from somewhere in the family ie
      Scroggie. My brother is called John Scroggie Mathew as are several of
      my cousins and my Grandfather but nobody seems to know where this name
      comes from. Well I think thats enough from me for now, I hope the
      group can help me, regards Chick.
    • Ray Hennessy
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 16, 2006
        chickcorbybred <chickcorbybred@...> wrote:

        One of the things that intrigues me is most of the family
        that I know of have second names which were maiden
        names from somewhere in the family ie Scroggie.

        My brother is called John Scroggie Mathew as are
        several of my cousins and my Grandfather but nobody
        seems to know where this name comes from.

        Hi Chick & welcome.

        Scroggie may indeed be a mother's maiden name
        handed down through the generations. In the 1881
        Census of Peterhead there are three families called
        Scroggie - with one young man living with his uncle.
        [I can send details if you need them.]

        Have you considered that "Scroggie" could be a Tee-name?

        These personal pet-names were very common in north east
        Scotland coastal parishes up to fairly recently and may still
        be for all I know. They tended to run in families with the
        Tee-name [a.k.a. To-name or T-name] either handed on
        unchanged as a nod to parentage, or there would be a
        short chain of Tee-names reflecting the different ones
        given to a parent and a grandparent.

        I can't help you with the meaning, not having found any record
        of interpretations of Tee-names - and anyway this may be a
        red-herring:

        Best wishes

        Ray Hennessy

        Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
      • geddes_anne
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
          This is a big HI to Chick who is interested in the Matthew family.
          Mary Bella Geddes is my husband's aunt. Mary Bella and David Bruce
          McWilliam Buchan had at least two daughters - Jessie and Edna - who
          were close to my husbands' parents Peter Slessor Geddes and Frances
          Mair. I remember Jessie and Edna very well and attended both of
          their funerals. Jessie had married John Smith and had about 4 of a
          family. I think that John Smith may still be alive. Edna had married
          Leonard Garland and had about 6 of a family. Len predeceased Edna by
          several years. I think that both Jessie and Edna's children mostly
          still stay in the Peterhead area. However, I don't think that they
          will be tracing their family tree - but you may like to try and
          contact them via the Buchanie (Buchan Observer)
          Do you have any idea why David Bruce McWilliam Matthew changed his
          name to Buchan? I notice that he was born in 1903 and his mother -
          Sarah Ann Park Matthew - died on 29th May 1903. His father - James
          Cow Matthew - then married Isabella Stephen on 23rd december 1904 at
          Boddam. I did wonder if David Bruce McWilliam Matthew was raised by
          a family called Buchan.
          I notice from the IGI at the Familysearch Website that Robertson
          Matthew married Eliza Robertson in 1854 and they had at least 7
          children.
          Please contact me if you would like to exchange information - I am
          sure that you and my hubby must be cousins (but goodness knows how
          many removed)
          Cheers
          Anne Geddes

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "chickcorbybred"
          <chickcorbybred@...> wrote:

          > Hi all, I am new to this site so please bear with me. I am looking
          for
          > ancestors of Robertson Mathew he married Eliza Robertson in 1854,
          and
          > was living with his mother and sister {both named Margaret in the
          1851
          > census, were there any more siblings and where was his father} my
          > problem is I can't find any record of him in Scotlands People prior
          > this. I know the family tended to name the first son after his
          > grandfather, so I assume Robertson's father was called Alexander as
          > that was his first sons name. I am also trying to find Robertson's
          son
          > also called Robertson, he was born in 1861 and is living with his
          > parents and siblings at 5 Rose St Peterhead in the 1881 census,I
          can't
          > find him anywhere after that. Also looking for decendants of David
          > Bruce McWilliam Buchan {formerly Mathew} he married Mary Bella
          Geddes
          > 30/08/1929, he was living at 41 High St Buchanhaven Peterhead at the
          > time of his marriage. David was my fathers full cousin. One of the
          > things that intrigues me is most of the family that I know of have
          > second names which where maiden names from somewhere in the family
          ie
          > Scroggie. My brother is called John Scroggie Mathew as are several
          of
          > my cousins and my Grandfather but nobody seems to know where this
          name
          > comes from. Well I think thats enough from me for now, I hope the
          > group can help me, regards Chick.

        • Hazel Holt
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
            Hi Anne,
            I read your message and a couple of the names jumped out at me. Can you tell me if Edna and Leonard GARLAND had twin boys who would be in their 30's now? I might be way off the mark here but if they did then I know that the boys are still in Peterhead living. I can pass on contact info if required.

            Hazel

          • Anne Geddes
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 29, 2006
              Hi Hazel

              Thanks for your offer to contact the Garland family

              Yes, Len and Edna did have a set of twin boys called Mark and David also twin girls and two other children. As I said - I am not sure that any of them will be into tracing their family tree and I am not sure how they will feel to be contacted direct.

              I haven't seen them for a few years and I don't have the addresses for Mark and David. I still have an address for their older sister and we exchange Christmas cards. However, again I am not sure if she would be interested in tracing her family tree.

              I'll perhaps mention it in my Christmas card this year and if Ian Robertson wants to try the Buchanie - that would give members of Edna and Jessie's families a chance to contact him if they are interested.

              I'll let Ian know if my contact knows any more about the family once I have been in touch

              Thanks again

              Anne Geddes

              Hazel Holt <hm.holt@...> wrote:
              Hi Anne,
              I read your message and a couple of the names jumped out at me. Can you tell me if Edna and Leonard GARLAND had twin boys who would be in their 30's now? I might be way off the mark here but if they did then I know that the boys are still in Peterhead living. I can pass on contact info if required.

              Hazel

            • chick mathew
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 29, 2006
                Hi Ann and hello everyone else, I have been in contact with one of David Buchan's [Matthew} nephews, he didn't know of David. David and his brothers were put into Aberlour Orphanage after the death of their mother, I assume because his father couldn't look after 6 young boys. I think David was adopted shortly after by the Buchans, he lived at 41 High St Buchanhaven when he married Mary Bella. My Father was Davids full cousin, I have more information on Davids ancestors which I will pass on as soon as I can. By the way it seems the Matthew name was spelt with one "T" as on Davids marriage certificate. Please feel free to contact me directly.
                Thanx Chick Mathew

                geddes_anne <geddes_anne@...> wrote: This is a big HI to Chick who is interested in the Matthew family.

                <chickcorbybred@...> wrote:

                > Hi all, I am new to this site so please bear with me. I am looking
                for
                > ancestors of Robertson Mathew he married Eliza Robertson in 1854,
                and
                > was living with his mother and sister {both named Margaret in the
                1851
                > census, were there any more siblings and where was his father} my
                > problem is I can't find any record of him in Scotlands People prior
                > this. I know the family tended to name the first son after his
                > grandfather, so I assume Robertson's father was called Alexander as
                > that was his first sons name. I am also trying to find Robertson's
                son
                > also called Robertson, he was born in 1861 and is living with his
                > parents and siblings at 5 Rose St Peterhead in the 1881 census,I
                can't
                > find him anywhere after that. Also looking for decendants of David
                > Bruce McWilliam Buchan {formerly Mathew} he married Mary Bella
                Geddes
                > 30/08/1929, he was living at 41 High St Buchanhaven Peterhead at the
                > time of his marriage. David was my fathers full cousin. One of the
                > things that intrigues me is most of the family that I know of have
                > second names which where maiden names from somewhere in the family
                ie
                > Scroggie. My brother is called John Scroggie Mathew as are several
                of
                > my cousins and my Grandfather but nobody seems to know where this
                name
                > comes from. Well I think thats enough from me for now, I hope the
                > group can help me, regards Chick.

              • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
                  I dont know if you have this information already...but this is what I have found.

                  Groom's Name: Robertson Matthew
                  Bride's Name: Eliza Robertson
                  Marriage Date: 19 Oct 1854
                  Marriage Place: Peterhead,Aberdeen,Scotland
                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M11232-5
                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                  Source Film Number: 993353
                  Collection: Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910

                  Name: Alexander Matthew
                  Gender: Male
                  Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Dec 1854
                  Baptism/Christening Place: PETERHEAD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                  Father's Name: Robertson Matthew
                  Mother's Name: Eliza Robertson
                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11232-6
                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                  Source Film Number: 993354
                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                  Name: William Matthew
                  Gender: Male
                  Birth Date: 25 Oct 1856
                  Birthplace: PETERHEAD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                  Father's Name: Robertson Matthew
                  Mother's Name: Eliza Robertson
                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11232-1
                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                  Source Film Number: 6035516
                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                  Name: William Robertson Matthew
                  Gender: Male
                  Birth Date: 26 Apr 1859
                  Birthplace: PETERHEAD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                  Father's Name: Robertson Matthew
                  Mother's Name: Eliza Robertson
                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11232-1
                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                  Source Film Number: 6035516
                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                  Name: Robertson Mathew
                  Gender: Male
                  Birth Date: 15 Aug 1861
                  Birthplace: PETERHEAD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                  Father's Name: Robertson Mathew
                  Mother's Name: Eliza Robertson
                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11232-1
                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                  Source Film Number: 6035516
                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                  Name: Eliza Ann Matthew
                  Gender: Female
                  Birth Date: 09 Jun 1864
                  Birthplace: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                  Father's Name: Robertson Matthew
                  Mother's Name: Elizabeth Robertson
                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-1
                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                  Source Film Number: 6035516
                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                  Name: James Cow Matthew
                  Gender: Male
                  Birth Date: 07 Jan 1869
                  Birthplace: PETERHEAD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                  Father's Name: Robertson Matthew
                  Mother's Name: Eliza Robertson
                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11232-1
                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                  Source Film Number: 6035516
                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                  Name: John Scroggie Matthew
                  Gender: Male
                  Birth Date: 31 Mar 1872
                  Birthplace: PETERHEAD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                  Father's Name: Robertson Matthew
                  Mother's Name: Eliza Robertson
                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11232-1
                  System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                  Source Film Number: 6035516
                  Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                  Cheers
                  Susan

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 9, 2010
                    Hi Susan, yes I have this already, I'm trying to find where and when Robertson senior and his siblings were born. I do have quite a bit of information his family were Alexander b1830c d1876 aboard the Theseus, Thomas b 1823c d1891 Peterhead, Janet b1827c,  Andrew b1828c, Robertson b1829c d 1911 Grangemouth Scotland, Margaret b 1830c James b 1831c d1906 in Dalyesford Victoria Australia. Parents were Alexander Matthew and Margaret Robertson marriage unknown, Margaret's parents were Peter Robertson and Isabell OGSTON. I am trying to find if Alexander {1830} was married and had a family, also anything about Robertson {1861} he appeared on the 1881 census then nothing until he arrived in Glasgow from New York 1908 as a ships fitter and went back to NY IN 1909. So many brickwalls I am losing track, any help would be appreciated.    regards Chick Mathew

                    --- On Wed, 8/9/10, ogstonfamilyresearcher <familyhunter57@...> wrorte:

                    From: ogstonfamilyresearcher <familyhunter57@...>
                    Subject: [Peterhead] Re: Robertson Mat{t}hew's family
                    To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com