Parents' names on certificates

  • ssn_richmond
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2006
      Hi

      I wonder if anyone can solve a problem for me.

      I have the birth ,marriage ,and death certificate for Williamina
      Webster.On the first and last of these her parents are given as James
      Webster and Mary Wallace but on her marriage certificate it is William
      Webster and Mary Shand.Is this likely to be an error or some peculiar
      Scottish custom? Any ideas on how to resolve the mystery?

      Also does anyone have any information on Jessy Grey who married John
      Salmeen some time before 1849?

      Thanks
      Sue
    • Alison Palmer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2006
        Just a guess but could Mary Shand be a 2nd wife?
        That way her birth mother, Mary Wallace was recorded on her birth and death
        certificate, her stepmother on her marriage certificate. (perhaps raised as
        child of Mary Shand) Have you got death details of Mary Wallace?
        Or Mary could have been married before and one of the names Shand or Wallace
        could be her maiden name, one her previous married name?
        Suppose you'll need to find marriage & death records of these parents.

        Alison