cumming

  • Shell Leo
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2006
      "Alexander Cumming's wife Margaret was pregnant with
      her eleventh child
      when
      she was widowed by the untimely death of her husband
      on 12 February
      1848, at
      the age of only forty-seven years. He was survived by
      seven of his ten
      children, two sons having died in infancy, George in
      1829 and James in
      1841
      and his daughter Jean in 1845 when she was seventeen.
      William, the
      last of
      Alexander's children, was christened on 8 October
      1848, but he never
      knew
      his father.

      With eight children to care for, we can have no idea
      how Margaret coped
      in
      the circumstances that must then have confronted her.
      Certainly she
      must
      not have been able to stay on at the Little Craigherbs
      farm, since the
      1851
      census shows that with the help of her older children
      she was then
      scratching out a living on a three-acre farmlet at
      Auds, just a few
      hundred
      metres from her their old home down the road to
      Boyndie village. With
      their
      mother still were seven of the children, her daughters
      Margaret, 22,
      Elizabeth, 15, Helen, 7 and Jane, 5, and her sons
      Alexander, 18, John,
      11
      and little William, two years old. We have no
      knowledge of what had
      become
      of Isabella, who, if still alive, would then have been
      20."

      can anyone fill in these gaps thanks Michele

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ray Hennessy
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2006
        Michele, "Shell Leo" wrote:

        > "Alexander Cumming's wife Margaret was
        > pregnant with her eleventh child when she was
        > widowed by the untimely death of her husband
        > on 12 February 1848, at the age of only 47.
        > With eight children to care for, we can have no
        > idea how Margaret coped in the circumstances
        > that must then have confronted her.
        > ... the 1851 census shows that with the help of
        > her older children she was then scratching out a
        > living on a three-acre farmlet ... down the
        > road to Boyndie village. With their mother still
        > were seven of the children, her daughters
        > Margaret, 22, Elizabeth, 15, Helen, 7 and
        > Jane, 5, and her sons Alexander, 18, John, 11
        > and little William, 2.
        ______________________________________

        Hi Michele

        I've only just caught up with this one - sorry for the delay.
        Can't help with your family although I have a very distant,
        possible interest in the surname for a 3rd child born in the
        1870s to Ann SMITH, spinster in Forgue parish - so it's
        unlikely there's a connection! But, to the point:

        A three-acre holding or croft might well have been plenty
        enough to support the family, given that Margaret & two
        of her daughters and two of her sons were well able to
        bring in a bearable income. Even John (11) could have
        earned something as a shepherd boy. Ann SMITH's
        first son was doing just that at the age of 12 in 1881.

        I don't think it would have been easy but if these 5 or 6
        were all working and they had land to grow vegetables
        and maybe have a cow, then economic self-sufficiency
        was well achievable.

        The area is still very much the same as it was in 1896.
        Boyndie doesn't have a village as such. The modern
        map [see http://tinyurl.com/pzz6w ] shows a place
        named Boyndie but it really only identifies a few
        [? about 6-8] houses round the Kirk. There were
        even fewer, only 2 or 3, nearby in 1896.

        Although the map now shows Auds as a specific house,
        in 1896 the legend applied to a wider area with three or
        four tiny buildings. Loch of Auds is still in the same
        place - and about the same size from the maps!

        Best wishes

        Ray
      • Shell Leo
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 17, 2006