Re: [Peterhead] Elizabeth Finnie & John Cardno

  • Alison Kennedy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006

      Although I am supposed to be getting ready for going on holiday I have been reading your messages. Quick email in response. (Sue the info that I have on your Alexander Finnie is longer and I will get back to you on my return.)

      According to census returns Elizabeth Finnie was born in Fraserburgh c 1824. She married John Cardno 7 November 1841 Fraserburgh and died 28 March 1895 in Cross Street, Fraserburgh. The couple are buried in Kirkton Cemetery, Fraserburgh.

      "Erected by Alexr. Cardno, cooper, in memory of his father John Cardno, rope and sailmaker, who died 25th Feby. 1905 aged 84 years. His mother Elizabeth Finnie who died 25th March, 1893 aged 71 years. His son George Buchan, who died 29th Sept. 1906 aged 30 years. His wife Mary Stewart Buchan who died 23rd August 1913 aged 63 years. The above Alexr. Cardno who died 17th October 1919 aged 77 years."

      Elizabeth's parents were Alexander Finnie (bap. 2 October 1794, Rathen) and Sarah McCastles (bc 1800 Fraserburgh; died 1877 Fraserburgh) married 29 October 1820, Fraserburgh. Alexander's occupation was a Sawyer, and he died 6 October 1883 at Mid Street, Fraserburgh. This Alexander's parents were William Finnie and Elizabeth Third who married 8 January 1793 at Rathen.

      There were many Finnie families in the north-east of Scotland in the 18th and 19th centuries. Although they may have been related to Alexander Finnie & Margaret Craib via a link two or three generations previously, unfortunately the supporting evidence to prove the link no longer exists. The names of the children are the names that were commonly used in those days by parents when naming their offspring. William Finnie & Elizabeth Third had at least six children, while Alexander Finnie & Sarah McCastles had at least two daughters - Elizabeth married to John Cardno & Christina (bc 1831) married George Mulliken 19 June 1868, Fraserburgh.

      Hope this helps.