List of names

  • Carolyn Morrisey
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
      For the past couple of years I've been researching men from the
      Peterhead area who served in the 5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders in
      WWI. About a year ago I 'advertised' that I had a list of about 1000
      names and addresses of local men who volunteered for service in 1914.

      This is just to let folk know that I've now added some more names to my
      website. These are men who were taken prisoner in 1918. The information
      comes from the casualty lists in the Buchan Observer. From a family
      history point of view the notices can be interesting as they usually
      give names and addresses of the man's parents and often the father's
      occupation and sometimes the soldier's pre-war occupation. An example:

      "Fentie, F.W. (M.M.) Sgt Reported missing, believed prisoner of
      war, is a son of Mr William Fenty, engine driver, 10 Love Lane
      Peterhead. He was formerly with Messrs James Reid and Sons, carters,
      Peterhead."

      "Pte Finnie, Alexander (2362) Reported missing, believed a prisoner
      of war. His parents reside at Station Cottages, Auchnagatt"

      The names are available on my website:
      http://gordonhighlanders.carolynmorrisey.com/
      and follow the links to either the 1914 Battalion Roll or the POW list

      or go directly to the POWs at:
      http://gordonhighlanders.carolynmorrisey.com/Prisoners1918-2.htm

      There will be some additional entries (wounded) shortly. I noticed there
      has been some postings on "Finnie" so here is one with that name:
      "Finnie, William G Pte Fourth son of Mr & Mrs Finnie, Mains of
      Inverugie is reported wounded for the second time and is in hospital in
      England. Before enlisting he was a farm servant in the Belhelvie
      district. He has three other brothers serving."

      Hope these are of some use to someone.

      Carolyn
    • William Leslie
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
        Hello Carolyn;

        I was fascinated to see the great work you have done on documenting the 5th
        Gordon Highlanders of Peterhead and Fraserburgh. My Uncle (Pat) Peter Bruce
        is listed as being taken POW in 1918. You also mention his article which
        appeared in the Fraserburgh paper, "I Was There." This is an amazing story
        of a soldier's reaction to all his experiences in the trenches. Every time I
        read it and get to the end where he states that after he was rescued by the
        Belgian nuns, he realized the war was over when he heard the pipes of the
        Canadian (possibly Toronto Scottish) coming down the road, my skin tingles.
        The reason he wrote this article was because he read an account of the
        Victoria Cross citation for Lieutenant Kerr of the Gordon Highlanders. I
        cannot find Lieutenant Kerr's name in your lists since he was not of the 5th
        but he was captured with Uncle Pat when their machine gun ran out of
        ammunition.

        Regards

        William

        _____

        http://gordonhighla <http://gordonhighlanders.carolynmorrisey.com/>
        nders.carolynmorrisey.com/
        and follow the links to either the 1914 Battalion Roll or the POW list

        or go directly to the POWs at:
        http://gordonhighla
        <http://gordonhighlanders.carolynmorrisey.com/Prisoners1918-2.htm>
        nders.carolynmorrisey.com/Prisoners1918-2.htm

        There will be some additional entries (wounded) shortly. I noticed there
        has been some postings on "Finnie" so here is one with that name:
        "Finnie, William G Pte Fourth son of Mr & Mrs Finnie, Mains of
        Inverugie is reported wounded for the second time and is in hospital in
        England. Before enlisting he was a farm servant in the Belhelvie
        district. He has three other brothers serving."

        Hope these are of some use to someone.

        Carolyn

      • rsk4rivers
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2006
          Thank-you Carolyn Morrisey for your excellent website - which does
          include my great uncle Pte Adam Rollo - with some additional
          information I did not have.

          cheers
          Bob