Re: [Peterhead] Alexander Finnie & Margaret Craib

  • Alison Kennedy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2006
      Hi Sue,

      Yes Jean (Jane) was baptised 30 August 1818, Longside, she married James Hastie 3 December 1842 Old Deer.

      The one you have missed is son John, baptised 1 January 1822, Longside. John was a farmer or crofter. He married Agnes Walker 18 June 1846, Peterhead. Both are buried in Lair B298, St Peter's Kirkyard, Peterhead. They had five children. Agnes had been married previously to Alexander Stuart (or Stewart) 18 June 1835, Aberdour.

      Unfortunately because both Alexander & Margaret died before 1855 so you will not find definite names of parents. Alexander was born c 1786 in Aberdeenshire, but because he died before 1851 census the birthplace is unknown. Margaret was born c 1800 in Longside. Lair burial records for Longside churchyard are non-existent for before 1900's so if either was buried in the family plot the details don't exist. There are several "Finnie" families living Longside, Old Deer, and Peterhead that I'm 99% sure are linked, but finding the link is like looking for a needle in a haystack!!

      If you need any further info on the family (ie children's families, census details, BMD's etc.) then just ask.

      Alison

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2006
        --Hi Alison

        Thanks for the Finnie info.
        I would love to have similar information about all the other
        children of Alexander Craib.I know about George but was wondering if
        you knew where and when his wife,Jane Stephen ,died?
        For all the others I just have their Christening date.
        I wonder why John did not appear on the census returns.

        Many thanks again
        Sue
        - In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Kennedy"
        <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

        > Hi Sue,
        >
        > Yes Jean (Jane) was baptised 30 August 1818, Longside, she married
        James Hastie 3 December 1842 Old Deer.

        > The one you have missed is son John, baptised 1 January 1822,
        Longside. John was a farmer or crofter. He married Agnes Walker 18
        June 1846, Peterhead. Both are buried in Lair B298, St Peter's
        Kirkyard, Peterhead. They had five children. Agnes had been
        married previously to Alexander Stuart (or Stewart) 18 June 1835,
        Aberdour.

        > Unfortunately because both Alexander & Margaret died before 1855
        so you will not find definite names of parents. Alexander was born
        c 1786 in Aberdeenshire, but because he died before 1851 census the
        birthplace is unknown. Margaret was born c 1800 in Longside. Lair
        burial records for Longside churchyard are non-existent for before
        1900's so if either was buried in the family plot the details don't
        exist. There are several "Finnie" families living Longside, Old
        Deer, and Peterhead that I'm 99% sure are linked, but finding the
        link is like looking for a needle in a haystack!!

        > If you need any further info on the family (ie children's
        families, census details, BMD's etc.) then just ask.

        > Alison

      • Alison Kennedy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
          Hi Sue,

          I'm glad I could help with your research. George died in the Poorhouse at Maud (a few miles west of Phd) - I will have to check my notes for dates and see if I have place of Jane's death. John would have been unlikely to appear on the census returns at his parents address, as by the time of the first detailed census in 1841 he would have been about 19 and would have been earning his own living.

          I will attempt to put together details on the family as soon as I can, but I don't think I will have time before I go on holiday for a couple of weeks shortly. I will try to get back to you with some info as soon after this as possible.

          Alison

          <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

          > Hi Sue,
          >
          > Yes Jean (Jane) was baptised 30 August 1818, Longside, she married
          James Hastie 3 December 1842 Old Deer.

          > The one you have missed is son John, baptised 1 January 1822,
          Longside. John was a farmer or crofter. He married Agnes Walker 18
          June 1846, Peterhead. Both are buried in Lair B298, St Peter's
          Kirkyard, Peterhead. They had five children. Agnes had been
          married previously to Alexander Stuart (or Stewart) 18 June 1835,
          Aberdour.

          > Unfortunately because both Alexander & Margaret died before 1855
          so you will not find definite names of parents. Alexander was born
          c 1786 in Aberdeenshire, but because he died before 1851 census the
          birthplace is unknown. Margaret was born c 1800 in Longside. Lair
          burial records for Longside churchyard are non-existent for before
          1900's so if either was buried in the family plot the details don't
          exist. There are several "Finnie" families living Longside, Old
          Deer, and Peterhead that I'm 99% sure are linked, but finding the
          link is like looking for a needle in a haystack!!

          > If you need any further info on the family (ie children's
          families, census details, BMD's etc.) then just ask.

          > Alison

        • ssn_richmond
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
            <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sue,
            >
            > I'm glad I could help with your research. George died in the
            Poorhouse at Maud (a few miles west of Phd) - I will have to check
            my notes for dates and see if I have place of Jane's death. John
            would have been unlikely to appear on the census returns at his
            parents address, as by the time of the first detailed census in 1841
            he would have been about 19 and would have been earning his own
            living.

            > I will attempt to put together details on the family as soon as I
            can, but I don't think I will have time before I go on holiday for a
            couple of weeks shortly. I will try to get back to you with some
            info as soon after this as possible.

            > Alison

            Hi Alison
            Thanks again.
            Your information on John Finnie helped me to find him on the 1851
            census.Hope to hear from you again.
            Have a good holiday.
            Sue