Edward May and Ellena Hughes

  • Ciarÿffffffffffe1n May
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2006
      Hi,

      I am researching the above two people who were married
      sometime before 1829 because they has a son Nicholas
      May born 1829 somewhere in or around Peterhead. I have
      found no record of Edward and Ellena, simply because I
      have no idea if indeed they did come from Peterhead. I
      do not know if they were actually married but I
      suspect hey were as they seemed to be God fearing
      people who for religeous reasons cut of from their
      family their son Nicholas when he married a Catholic
      in Howth near Dublin. He (Nicholas becase a successful
      fishmonger in Howth.

      So if anyone can throw any light on where Edward and
      Hughes were I would appreciate hearing.

      Regards,

      Ciarán May

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ken May
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2006
        Ciaran,

        My May family came from Inverallochy and moved down to Peterhead, however, I don't have an Edward in my list, although I only have the direct line recorded and some of the other male lines may have the names you're after. My line were coopers and fish curers, although my G-grandfather's brother was Provost of Peterhead. Who knows what other lines of work they got into.

        Regards

        Ken May
        Christchurch, New Zealand

        I am researching the above two people who were married
        sometime before 1829 because they has a son Nicholas
        May born 1829 somewhere in or around Peterhead. I have
        found no record of Edward and Ellena, simply because I
        have no idea if indeed they did come from Peterhead. I
        do not know if they were actually married but I
        suspect hey were as they seemed to be God fearing
        people who for religeous reasons cut of from their
        family their son Nicholas when he married a Catholic
        in Howth near Dublin. He (Nicholas becase a successful
        fishmonger in Howth.

        So if anyone can throw any light on where Edward and
        Hughes were I would appreciate hearing.

        Regards,

        Ciarán May

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

      • Ray Hennessy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29, 2006
          Hi Ciarán

          We have a case in the mid-19C of the parents marrying a year after the birth of their first child. Despite this, they went on to have several more children and lived together [?in connubial bliss?] for many decades.

          We also have a case in the mid 20C of a family ostracising a daughter who married a Catholic. However their reason was that the girl's father was a Mason, so "chalk & cheese"!! It doesn't have to be because they were God-fearing; bigotry takes many forms.

          Have you tried to find the Kirk Session minutes for the period around 1829? If they did have children out of wedlock, there may be a record of it. The KS records, such as have survived, are mostly held in Edinburgh. Not all have made it to the National Archive and those that have aren't on-line unfortunately. So you either have to go to Edinburgh or get someone to do it for you.

          Ray

          I am researching the above two people who were married
          sometime before 1829 because they has a son Nicholas
          May born 1829 somewhere in or around Peterhead. I have
          found no record of Edward and Ellena, simply because I
          have no idea if indeed they did come from Peterhead. I
          do not know if they were actually married but I
          suspect hey were as they seemed to be God fearing
          people who for religeous reasons cut of from their
          family their son Nicholas when he married a Catholic
          in Howth near Dublin. He (Nicholas becase a successful
          fishmonger in Howth.

          So if anyone can throw any light on where Edward and
          Hughes were I would appreciate hearing.

          Regards,

          Ciarán May
          Recent Activity
          a.. 1New Members
          Visit Your Group
          a.. American family home insurance
          b.. American family home insurance company
          c.. American family home owner insurance
          d.. Multi family home for sale
          e.. Single family home for sale
          Y! GeoCities
          Be Interactive

          Create a conver-

          sation with blogs.

          Yahoo! Groups
          Start a group

          in 3 easy steps.

          Connect with others.

          Y! Toolbar
          Get it Free!

          easy 1-click access

          to your groups.
          .

        • Ciarÿffffffffffe1n May
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
            Hi Ken,

            Thanks for the response. Where is Invarallochy? Is
            there likely to be a census return for this place?

            Ciarán

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Alistair and Denise
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
              Hi, Ciarán

              From the evidence of my own distant cousins Inverallochy appears to be near
              Rathen, and certainly in my relatives' cases, sometimes they're deemed to be
              in Inverallochy, but sometimes in Rathen. Depends where their BMDs were
              registered, of course.

              Alistair
              (reading the Finnie correspondence with interest)

              > Thanks for the response. Where is Invarallochy? Is
              > there likely to be a census return for this place?
              >
              > Ciarán
              >

              > --- Ken May <kenjmay@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Ciaran,
              > >
              > > My May family came from Inverallochy and moved down
              > > to Peterhead, however, I don't have an Edward in my
              > > list, although I only have the direct line recorded
              > > and some of the other male lines may have the names
              > > you're after. My line were coopers and fish curers,
              > > although my G-grandfather's brother was Provost of
              > > Peterhead. Who knows what other lines of work they
              > > got into.
              > >
              > > Regards
              > >
              > > Ken May
              > > Christchurch, New Zealand

            • Ken May
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
                Ciaran,

                I saw a response from another party suggesting that the census data was probably with Rathen, and that is likely from what I have, as well.

                As for Inverallochy, it is north of Peterhead, on the coast, and when my wife and I flashed into it in March 2005, it was a cold and miserable day and was very bleak. I am sure it is a nicer place than that.

                --- Ken May <kenjmay@yahoo. com> wrote:

                > Ciaran,
                >
                > My May family came from Inverallochy and moved down
                > to Peterhead, however, I don't have an Edward in my
                > list, although I only have the direct line recorded
                > and some of the other male lines may have the names
                > you're after. My line were coopers and fish curers,
                > although my G-grandfather' s brother was Provost of
                > Peterhead. Who knows what other lines of work they
                > got into.
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Ken May
                > Christchurch, New Zealand