St Peter's Kirk - a potted history

  • bloomogganner
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 19, 2006
      To: "No Reply" <notify-dg-Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: St Peter's Kirk - a potted history

      Hi, fit like?

      St Peter's Church which stands well back from the South Road
      and looks over the bay, was founded in 1706. The cemetery
      presumably dates from a similar era, although there are signs of a
      BC community near the nearby Kirkburn and from which we could
      surmise there were nearby burials.

      At some date, St Peter's Kirk was replaced by one down on the
      bay shore almost in front of the old one. However, due to poor
      foundations, it was abandoned in favour of the new kerk, now over
      100 years old, and is now known as the Muckle Kerk.

      In 1869, the first burials took place in the Constitution St
      cemetery; in 1964, the first burials took place in Balmoor cemetery,
      and in 1995 the first burials in Peterhead Grange.

      At's a, tata, Sam
    • stephenbroekmann
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 22, 2006
        Hi Alex,

        I am sure there is a connection. My gggrandmother was Agnes Mitchell
        STEPHEN (born MITCHELL) but born in 1815. A couple of generations
        before that, there is a Robert STEPHEN B 1773, Also in Boddam
        village. His wife was Janet but HUTCHISON. Their son David STEPHEN
        b 1797 married another Janet but CORDINER this time. I actually have
        a photograph of the couple. Their children include a Janet and a
        Robert. I would like to figure out where our lines connect and
        diverge but we may need to go back one or two generations.

        Stephen

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "sanbowfie4" <alex.beattie106@...>
        wrote:

        > My earliest Stephen relatives are as follows. Probably you are aware
        > of them already as all the information I have has come from a
        member.
        > Anyway here they are...
        >
        > 1. ROBERT STEPHEN died Bef. 1857 in Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland.
        > He married JANET DAVIDSON October 13, 1822 in Peterhead,
        > Aberdeenshire, Scotland (Source: IGI (www.familysearch.org).). She
        > was born Abt. 1794 (Source: Fiona (Peterhead Mailing list).).
        >
        > More About ROBERT STEPHEN:
        > Occupation: Seaman (Source: Peterhead Marriage records (1855 # 45)
        > (users.bigpond.net.au/phdgen).)
        >
        > Children of ROBERT STEPHEN and JANET DAVIDSON are:
        > i. ROBERT2 STEPHEN, b. 1831, Peterhead,
        Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
        > d. October 4, 1904, 13 Ellis St., Peterhead, Scotland.
        > ii. AGNES MITCHELL STEPHEN, b. August 22, 1835, Peterhead,
        > Aberdeenshire,Scotland; d. August 27, 1905, Aberdeen, Scotland.
        > iii. ELIZABETH STEPHEN, b. Unknown.
        >

        > There is more about the next generations too. If there any links
        then
        > I will share
        >

        > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Broekmann" <lawmen@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Alex and Nancy,
        > >
        > > I suspect that your STEPHEN ancestors (all from Peterhead) may
        > connect with mine but I can't quite see where. I am descended from
        > William STEPHEN b1817 in Boddam son of David STEPHEN b 1797 and his
        > wife Janet CORDINER b 1793 also in Boddam village.
        > >
        > > Do you know whether there is a connection? I would like to find
        > where David STEPHEN was buried and to the extent possible, where he
        > lived and worked.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Stephen Broekmann

        Fraser
        > > about 1857, Peterhead; died 1911, Aberdeen
        > > William Stephen, born about 1837, Boddam
        > > Andrew Stephen, born about 1839, Boddam
        > > John Stephen, whitefisher, born about 1841, Boddam
        > > Janet Stephen, born about 1844, Boddam
        > >
        > > On 17-Jul-06, at 7:25 PM, Alex wrote:
        > >
        > > > Thanks for the information.
        > > > I have been there before, last year. Researching my family
        tree I
        > > > found out that my Stephen relatives lived quite near to the
        fish
        > > > market. All the more amazing was the fact that my immediate
        family
        > > > travelled there practically every day as they were fish
        merchants.
        > > > I do not know if they realised that they were so close to our
        > > > relatives living/working place.
        > > > Thanks again

        Church
        > > > situated and is the churchyard adjacent ?

      • sanbowfie4
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2006
          It was a decent enough day for my visit and a successful one too. I
          found my gt grandmothers grave but not only that. Also interred was
          her in-laws, some of their children and two of my gt grandmothers
          children also. Nine in total !

          Alex

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Kennedy"