McRoberts & Miller/Millar family

  • Diane nault
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
      Hello,

      This is my first time posting to this list and I am hoping someone can
      guide me in the right direction with this family....
      I have recently found out that John McRoberts married Elspeth
      Miller/Millar 10 Dec 1844 Petershead Scotland. (I do not have a marriage
      record, don't know how to obtain it!)
      Their daughters Elspeth and married were born in Scotland 1846 & 1847
      (where? Petershead?)
      Then I find them on the 1850 census in Buffalo, Erie County New York USA,
      then they moved in to Canada to Ontario.
      I also found passenger records as follows(there were other Millers, not
      sure if they are here relatives)
      Famine Irish Passenger Record Data
      from US National Archives & Records www.archives.gov or aad.archives.gov

      John McRoberts age 28 cultivator or farmer native country Great
      Britain, staying in the US, came as steerage, embarked from Glascow Scotland
      on the ship FANNY arrived 18 June 1847.

      Elspeth McRoberts wife age 23 native country Great Britain, staying in
      the US, came as steerage, embarked from Glascow Scotland on the ship FANNY
      arrived 18 June 1847.

      Mary Miller age 25 native country Great Britain, staying in the US, came
      as steerage, embarked in Glascow Scotland on the ship FANNY arrived 18 Jun
      1847.

      Elspeth McRoberts age 1 native country Great Britain, staying in the US,
      came as steerage, embarked in Glascow Scotland on the ship FANNY arrived 18
      June 1847.

      I believe that Elspeth (mother) was born in England per some records
      her parents are supposedly Robert Miller & Barbara Murray. No parents for
      John yet.

      Would anyone have any ideas/clues as to what I should do to get further
      on this family, if possible?

      Thank you so much,

      Sorry this was long
      Diane
    • Ray Hennessy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
        Diane Nault wrote:

        > I have recently found out that John McRoberts married Elspeth Miller/Millar 10 Dec 1844 Petershead [sic] Scotland. (I do not have a marriage record, don't know how to obtain it!)

        Diane,

        First be warned that the OPR entry of a marriage could be VERY terse indeed. It may only give the names of the couple & the parish each lives in. However, if you really want to see the entry, there are two things you can do, neither particularly cheap for one entry!

        1. You can order a copy through Scotland's People
        [ http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.aspx ]
        ScP will cost you 6GBP to join. You get a lot of free "credits" but you have to pay 10GBP for a copy of the OPR page. There may be two entries as Elspeth's surname is spelt two ways. If they are on different pages then the cost could double!!

        2. You can join the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS
        [ http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/index.htm ] The sub is 15GBP to the end of 2006 and a copy of the OPR page will cost a few pence.

        > Their daughters Elspeth and [there seems to be a break in your text here] married were born in Scotland 1846 & 1847 (where? Petershead [sic]?)

        There is no record of the birth of the daughter Elspeth or of her sibling[s] on the IGI so it looks like the births weren't recorded. This is not unusual but can be very frustrating. The best place to find out about their origins would be Marriage & Death certificates but I guess you've looked there!

        > John McRoberts age 28 cultivator or farmer native country Great Britain, staying in the US, came as steerage, embarked from Glascow Scotland on the ship FANNY arrived 18 June 1847.

        If the age is accurate then John was born in the period 19 June 1818 to 18 June 1819.

        There was a John McRobert born in Forgue, Aberdeenshire on 12 April 1818, son of Alexander McRobert and Janet Reid. Given the closeness of the age, this is likely to be your man, but it isn't certain. The fact that he doesn't seem to register the births of his daughters might mean that the family typically didn't register births.

        > Elspeth McRoberts wife age 23 native country Great Britain ... arrived 18 June 1847

        Again Elspeth's age suggests a birth from mid-1823 to mid-1824. Unfortunately there are no examples born in Aberdeenshire from 1821 to 1826. There are literally hundreds named Elspet/h Miller/Millar born in the rest of Scotland in the same period [I don't have access to English records], so you may have reached a brick wall with her. Sorry!

        Hope this helps a little

        Good Luck

        Ray Hennessy

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
          Hi Diane,

          1841 Peterhead census (FreeCen entry)
          Queen Street, Peterhead
          Robert Miller, M, 60, Army pensioner, born Outside Census County
          Barbara Miller, F, 50, born Aberdeen
          Mary Miller, 20, born England
          Elspet Miller, 15, born England

          Catherine
          I'll keep looking

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 19, 2006
              Hi Diane,
              You've listed below John, Elspet and Elspet on the ship Fanny and Mary Miller on the same ship but there was also a Mary McRoberts on the ship Fanny as well age 2 months.

              John McRoberts age 28 ID no 685358
              Elspet McRoberts age 23 ID no 685358
              Elspet McRoberts age 1 ID no 685360
              Mary McRoberts age 2 months ID no 685360
              Mary Miller age 25 ID no 685359

              Catherine

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 19, 2006
                Ray,

                Thank you very much for the info and suggestions. This is what I was
                hoping for, some leads on how to proceed. I will look into the suggestions
                you provided. Again Thank you.
                Diane

              • Diane nault
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 19, 2006
                  Hello Catherine,

                  This is great it does confirm what her death certificate said. which is
                  unusual!! So I should be able to find Barbara Mcmurray born in Aberdeen..
                  Do you know how I would find info on the Army, since Robert was an Army
                  pensioner? Again thank you
                  Diane

                • Diane nault
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 19, 2006
                    That is quite interesting. It seemed so long ago, for someone to have a
                    relative known on that ship. Thanks for passing that on.

                  • Ray Hennessy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 19, 2006
                      Diane Nault wrote:

                      > Thank you very much for the info and suggestions. This is what I was hoping for, some leads on how to proceed. I will look into the suggestions you provided.

                      Hi Diane

                      Can I offer one or two tips on accessing Scotland's People.

                      Firstly any event before 1855 can be looked up for nothing on the Mormon IGI site at http://www.familysearch.org/ The IGI entries, once you work out how to get at them, are reasonably accurate providing there is a film number on the detailed record. Be wary of information "submitted by a member of the LDS Church" as the entries were very speculative and they don't acknowledge or apply corrections. [Note: I can't actually access the site at the moment for some reason!]

                      On Scotland's People [ http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php ] you have to pay the equivalent of 6GBP for 168 hours access [1 week] which also gets you 30 credits. These are used to get :
                      a] Hit Lists [1 credit per page of up to 25 hits] and
                      b] images of Census pages and post-1855 Certificates [5 credits per page].
                      [NB a Family on the Census might, rarely, be on two pages. Unfortunately this would cost 2×5 credits!]

                      As you are looking at pre-1855 events, you will probably not find very much on ScP but, if you feel the urge to search for the siblings of your ancestors after 1855, there is one MAJOR TIP I would offer:

                      When specifying a Search try to make it wide enough to more or less fill a Hit List page or several pages. It is amazing how often a list of, say, 25 Hits can show up treasures, e.g. extra siblings, descendents, etc. The sort of thing we do is to remove the forename - to get all the family - or reduce it to an initial and an asterisk - to get all the siilarly named individuals. Also you can widen the date range for the same reasons. Remember the whole page costs one credit however full it is!

                      Just a passing comment on pre-1855 images from ScP. These, as I said cost 10GBP [or it may have gone up to 13GBP now]. What you get is a photocopy on thick paper of the relevant page which has an official seal impressed into it and an official signature. These refinements presumably have the purpose of making the document semi-official should one want to lay a claim to an inheritance. So if you think you might own half of Peterhead, that's the way to go!!

                      Can I have a finder's fee?

                      Best wishes

                      Ray

                      PS If you aren't sure about the IGI or how to access it, send up a flag.

                    • Cci
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 19, 2006
                        Hi Diane,
                        I don't know how you would find out about anything to do with army records.
                        Perhaps some else on the site might help there.
                        Best wishes,