Peterhead Old Church

  • sanbowfie4
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17 12:47 AM
      I am planning a visit to Peterhead shortly. Where is the Old Church
      situated and is the churchyard adjacent ?
    • Alison Kennedy
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17 12:17 PM
        Hi,

        St Peter's Kirkyard is situated on the South Road (A982) - this is the main road into Peterhead from the south. You will easily find it as it sits on its own overlooking the bay and marina.

        Unfortunately there isn't much left of St. Peter's Church but what is left is situated amongst the gravestones. Try to pick a nice sunny day for your visit as Peterhead in any other kind of weather is the coldest place in Scotland!

        Alison

        I am planning a visit to Peterhead shortly. Where is the Old Church
        situated and is the churchyard adjacent ?

      • Alex
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17 4:25 PM
          Thanks for the information.
          I have been there before, last year. Researching my family tree I found out that my Stephen relatives lived quite near to the fish market. All the more amazing was the fact that my immediate family travelled there practically every day as they were fish merchants. I do not know if they realised that they were so close to our relatives living/working place.
          Thanks again

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 17 6:59 PM
            Alex, I have STEPHEN ancestors as well. I understand STEPHEN was not
            an uncommon name in Peterhead, but let me know if you see any
            connection.

            Andrew Stephen, whitefisher, born about 1803, Boddam, Peterhead
            wife Janet Stephen (maiden surname possibly also Stephen), born about
            1801, Boddam, Peterhead
            Children:
            Margaret Stephen, born about 1833, Boddam; married William Fraser
            about 1857, Peterhead; died 1911, Aberdeen
            William Stephen, born about 1837, Boddam
            Andrew Stephen, born about 1839, Boddam
            John Stephen, whitefisher, born about 1841, Boddam
            Janet Stephen, born about 1844, Boddam

            On 17-Jul-06, at 7:25 PM, Alex wrote:

            > Thanks for the information.
            > I have been there before, last year. Researching my family tree I
            > found out that my Stephen relatives lived quite near to the fish
            > market. All the more amazing was the fact that my immediate family
            > travelled there practically every day as they were fish merchants.
            > I do not know if they realised that they were so close to our
            > relatives living/working place.
            > Thanks again

          • Steve Broekmann
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 17 11:55 PM
              Hi Alex and Nancy,

              I suspect that your STEPHEN ancestors (all from Peterhead) may connect with mine but I can't quite see where. I am descended from William STEPHEN b1817 in Boddam son of David STEPHEN b 1797 and his wife Janet CORDINER b 1793 also in Boddam village.

              Do you know whether there is a connection? I would like to find where David STEPHEN was buried and to the extent possible, where he lived and worked.

              Regards,

              Stephen Broekmann

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 18 1:49 AM
                My earliest Stephen relatives are as follows. Probably you are aware
                of them already as all the information I have has come from a member.
                Anyway here they are...

                1. ROBERT STEPHEN died Bef. 1857 in Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland.
                He married JANET DAVIDSON October 13, 1822 in Peterhead,
                Aberdeenshire, Scotland (Source: IGI (www.familysearch.org).). She
                was born Abt. 1794 (Source: Fiona (Peterhead Mailing list).).

                More About ROBERT STEPHEN:
                Occupation: Seaman (Source: Peterhead Marriage records (1855 # 45)
                (users.bigpond.net.au/phdgen).)

                Children of ROBERT STEPHEN and JANET DAVIDSON are:
                i. ROBERT2 STEPHEN, b. 1831, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
                d. October 4, 1904, 13 Ellis St., Peterhead, Scotland.
                ii. AGNES MITCHELL STEPHEN, b. August 22, 1835, Peterhead,
                Aberdeenshire,Scotland; d. August 27, 1905, Aberdeen, Scotland.
                iii. ELIZABETH STEPHEN, b. Unknown.

                There is more about the next generations too. If there any links then
                I will share

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Broekmann" <lawmen@...> wrote:

                > Hi Alex and Nancy,
                >
                > I suspect that your STEPHEN ancestors (all from Peterhead) may
                connect with mine but I can't quite see where. I am descended from
                William STEPHEN b1817 in Boddam son of David STEPHEN b 1797 and his
                wife Janet CORDINER b 1793 also in Boddam village.

                > Do you know whether there is a connection? I would like to find
                where David STEPHEN was buried and to the extent possible, where he
                lived and worked.

                > Regards,
                >
                > Stephen Broekmann

              • bloomogganner
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 19 2:53 AM
                  To: "No Reply" <notify-dg-Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: St Peter's Kirk - a potted history

                  Hi, fit like?

                  St Peter's Church which stands well back from the South Road
                  and looks over the bay, was founded in 1706. The cemetery
                  presumably dates from a similar era, although there are signs of a
                  BC community near the nearby Kirkburn and from which we could
                  surmise there were nearby burials.

                  At some date, St Peter's Kirk was replaced by one down on the
                  bay shore almost in front of the old one. However, due to poor
                  foundations, it was abandoned in favour of the new kerk, now over
                  100 years old, and is now known as the Muckle Kerk.

                  In 1869, the first burials took place in the Constitution St
                  cemetery; in 1964, the first burials took place in Balmoor cemetery,
                  and in 1995 the first burials in Peterhead Grange.

                  At's a, tata, Sam
                • stephenbroekmann
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 22 12:24 AM
                    Hi Alex,

                    I am sure there is a connection. My gggrandmother was Agnes Mitchell
                    STEPHEN (born MITCHELL) but born in 1815. A couple of generations
                    before that, there is a Robert STEPHEN B 1773, Also in Boddam
                    village. His wife was Janet but HUTCHISON. Their son David STEPHEN
                    b 1797 married another Janet but CORDINER this time. I actually have
                    a photograph of the couple. Their children include a Janet and a
                    Robert. I would like to figure out where our lines connect and
                    diverge but we may need to go back one or two generations.

                    Stephen

                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "sanbowfie4" <alex.beattie106@...>

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 7, 2006
                      It was a decent enough day for my visit and a successful one too. I
                      found my gt grandmothers grave but not only that. Also interred was
                      her in-laws, some of their children and two of my gt grandmothers
                      children also. Nine in total !

                      Alex

                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Kennedy"