Re: [Peterhead] Mill of Auquharney

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 14 9:56 AM
      Hi,

      Thanks, I didn't have that one as I haven't had time to devote to research since the 1841 cenus went online. Or, to be honest, because I have been finding a friend's Westmorland ancestry instead of doing my own.

      My Daniels go back to John Daniel who married Janet Robertson in 1763 in Cruden. He was a hand loom weaver. Their son, William, was born in 1772 in Port Errol and married Christian Robertson, born 1784, Cruden and daughter of James Robertson and Elizabeth (surname something illegible on Christian's death certificate). So I have two lots of Robertsons who may or may not have been brother and sister.

      William Daniel ( occupation shoemaker) and Christian had a son, James, born 1810c and he married Margaret Hay. He was a farmer and he died 1892 at Willow Cottage, Coldwell, Cruden.

      James Daniel and Margaret Hay had a daughter, Margaret who married Joseph Milne, which is almost as tricky to handle as my selection of John and William Smiths. The Milne branch also gives me Birnie, Mitchel, Walker and McKenzie mostly in the Strichen, Lonmay, Tyrie areas.

      My Craigheads start ( well obviously not, but in my tree it's as far as I have gone) with Margaret Craighead who married Charles Alexander 1775, Cruden. Charles was a fisherman but that's absolutely all I know about them and that only because of their daughter Isabella living to such a grand old age and to the wonderful Scottish system of naming both parents and occupations on a death certificate. I can't tell you how much I wish the English did likewise.

      Is that more than enough information? I'd love to hear from anyone who may be connected to these families.

      Regards,

      Jen

      PS. There is something odd going on in the world - it is hot in Cumbria. That can't be right.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 14 10:26 AM
        1.2.1 Isabella KELMAN

        Illegitimate son by George MILNE:

        1.2.1.1 John Alexander Kelman MILNE bpt St Fergus 25
        April 1846

        m Margaret HUTCHESON 1 May
        1870 Crimond

        .2.1.1 John Alexander Kelman MILNE m Margaret
        MUTCHESON 1 May 1870
        Crimond

        1.2.1.1.1 Robert HUTCHESON b 14 May 1868 Crimond
        [illegitimate son of
        Margaret HUTCHESON & unnamed father, known as Robert
        MILNE]

        1.2.1.1.2 John Kelman MILNE or HUTCHESON b 23 April
        1870 Crimond

        1.2.1.1.3 George Brown MILNE b 9 July 1873 Peterhead

        1.2.1.1.4 Alexandrina MILNE born c. 1877 Peterhead

        1.2.1.1.5 James MILNE born c. 1879 Inverurie

        1851 census: Keyhead, St Fergus

        John Kelman 60 b Crimond, farmer 4 ac & ag lab

        wife Mary Kelman 50 b Cruden

        daur Jean Kelman 13 b St Fergus

        son James Kelman 9 b St Fergus

        gson John A.K. Milne 5 b St Fergus

        881 census: 67 West High Street, Inverurie

        John A.K. Milne 35 shoemaker b Crimond

        wife Margaret Milne 35 b Crimond

        son Robert Milne 12 scholar b Crimond

        son John Milne 10 scholar b Crimond