Re: [Peterhead] Re: Marion subject Auchleuchries

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2006
      Marion wrote:

      > Nor do I quite see the Auchleuchries bit, isn't it a different place?

      Hi Marion

      I would guess that the land of Auchleuchries was the overriding estate that covered all the area, judging by the 1702 comment : "... the lands and manor of Auchleuchries ...". This sounds a fairly up-market description.

      The early arrangement of renting lands was a multi-layered hierarchy. The land "belonged" to the King. He graciously allowed his favoured nobles to have certain areas - usually County-wide. They lived off the rent they got from major landowners. These then rented out smaller parcels to sub-tenant farmers and all these people had crofters who brought raw land into cultivation and paid their rent by produce or labour for the next level up. Below this was the Ag Lab hoard who were usually contracted for 6-monthly periods [= feeing, hence the "Feeing Fairs"], sometimes with accommodation provided. Some Census returns are full of references to "Outhouses" attached to farms. these were the workers and, occasionally, their families.

      All a somewhat feudal system but it worked in Aberdeenshire because the Earls were, in general, very considerate for their tenants and workers - after all, their income depended on the system working!! It continued for well over a century after the Industrial Revolution made investment in factories a paying concern - and still functions middling well in some areas today. Not that a farmer would ever admit it!

      Best wishes

      PS Sorry I don't have the incredible sources that Catherine can call on to give chapter & verse.