Re: [Peterhead] Mill of Auquharney

  • Margaret Hector
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
      A big thanks to all those amazing people who go to great lenghts to help paint pictures for me. The maps have been a great help and the accompanying information most useful.
      The discussion going on about the Hays is also fascinating.
      Our James Hay was born 1813-1815 and according to the Census, in Elgin. He was the son of James Hay and Euphemia Jamieson. I have yet to find where these people originated.
      As far as a marriage in 1910, I dont know if it was one of ours. I do know there was a John Hay who was born in 1854 at New Deer. In the 1881 census he was unmarried an living in Aberdeen. I don't know anything esle about him.
      Cheers
      Margaret

    • Jen
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
        Hi,

        Whilst we are on the subject of Hays, please can I add my interest in this name just in case anyone knows anything about my lot.

        I have an Alexander Hay who married Isabella Alexander in Peterhead in 1810. They had at least two daughters, Margaret and Isabella.
        I know that Alexander was a handloom weaver, in Cruden and that Isabella died in 1876 at Blackhill, Cruden at the age of 90. Must have been all that herring and oatmeal!

        I also have Daniels, Robertsons and Craigheads from the Cruden area so would welcome any information on them.

        Cheers,

        Jen

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
          Hi Jen,
          You might already have this info.
          Isabella and Margaret were at the same address.

          1841 census
          Isabella Hay
          age 50
          occ Lab
          born abt 1791
          address Blackhill

          Margaret Hay
          age 25
          born abt 1816
          address Blackhill

          What christian names go with your Daniels, Robertsons and Craigheads, and dates.

          Thanks,
          Catherine

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
            Hi,

            Thanks, I didn't have that one as I haven't had time to devote to research since the 1841 cenus went online. Or, to be honest, because I have been finding a friend's Westmorland ancestry instead of doing my own.

            My Daniels go back to John Daniel who married Janet Robertson in 1763 in Cruden. He was a hand loom weaver. Their son, William, was born in 1772 in Port Errol and married Christian Robertson, born 1784, Cruden and daughter of James Robertson and Elizabeth (surname something illegible on Christian's death certificate). So I have two lots of Robertsons who may or may not have been brother and sister.

            William Daniel ( occupation shoemaker) and Christian had a son, James, born 1810c and he married Margaret Hay. He was a farmer and he died 1892 at Willow Cottage, Coldwell, Cruden.

            James Daniel and Margaret Hay had a daughter, Margaret who married Joseph Milne, which is almost as tricky to handle as my selection of John and William Smiths. The Milne branch also gives me Birnie, Mitchel, Walker and McKenzie mostly in the Strichen, Lonmay, Tyrie areas.

            My Craigheads start ( well obviously not, but in my tree it's as far as I have gone) with Margaret Craighead who married Charles Alexander 1775, Cruden. Charles was a fisherman but that's absolutely all I know about them and that only because of their daughter Isabella living to such a grand old age and to the wonderful Scottish system of naming both parents and occupations on a death certificate. I can't tell you how much I wish the English did likewise.

            Is that more than enough information? I'd love to hear from anyone who may be connected to these families.

            Regards,

            Jen

            PS. There is something odd going on in the world - it is hot in Cumbria. That can't be right.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
              1.2.1 Isabella KELMAN

              Illegitimate son by George MILNE:

              1.2.1.1 John Alexander Kelman MILNE bpt St Fergus 25
              April 1846

              m Margaret HUTCHESON 1 May
              1870 Crimond

              .2.1.1 John Alexander Kelman MILNE m Margaret
              MUTCHESON 1 May 1870
              Crimond

              1.2.1.1.1 Robert HUTCHESON b 14 May 1868 Crimond
              [illegitimate son of
              Margaret HUTCHESON & unnamed father, known as Robert
              MILNE]

              1.2.1.1.2 John Kelman MILNE or HUTCHESON b 23 April
              1870 Crimond

              1.2.1.1.3 George Brown MILNE b 9 July 1873 Peterhead

              1.2.1.1.4 Alexandrina MILNE born c. 1877 Peterhead

              1.2.1.1.5 James MILNE born c. 1879 Inverurie

              1851 census: Keyhead, St Fergus

              John Kelman 60 b Crimond, farmer 4 ac & ag lab

              wife Mary Kelman 50 b Cruden

              daur Jean Kelman 13 b St Fergus

              son James Kelman 9 b St Fergus

              gson John A.K. Milne 5 b St Fergus

              881 census: 67 West High Street, Inverurie

              John A.K. Milne 35 shoemaker b Crimond

              wife Margaret Milne 35 b Crimond

              son Robert Milne 12 scholar b Crimond

              son John Milne 10 scholar b Crimond