Re: Auqharney and Auchleuchries

  • mlarooij
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 12, 2006
      Hi Ray,
      I have tried to find who David;s parents were but there are a number
      of Davids & haven't placed him yet. Or John. I agree, likely there
      is a nephew or somesuch relationship. I shouldn't think estates were
      bought at that time, at least, not in this case as clearly they are
      some sort of family connection. I am waiting for a sasines disc
      also.. But I have found some indication the girls inherited, so not
      sure what happened then, maybe they assigned it. There is also no
      sign of John's marriage, or the christenings of his children. Not a
      co-operative guy.

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hennessy" <ray@...> wrote:

      > Marion [mlarooij] wrote:
      >
      > > I know if that a Sir David HAY, a doctor, was served heir to
      > Auquharneypriot to 1696. He was then in Edinburgh though. Unless
      he
      > had a previous marriage he had only daus. How the John HAY I am
      > interested in got to take possession I have not discovered.
      >
      > Hi Marion
      >
      > Could John have been Sir David's nephew? With inheritance limited
      to the male line, this would be [for those dear dead days] a natural
      succession, much as we might regret it today! It might be worth
      digging back to Sir David's siblings?!?! ;-))

      > Ray

    • Ray Hennessy
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
        Hi Marion

        Yes there are well documented cases of families in the nobility passing estates down through the female line but they were the exception. Your case looks like it might a male inheritance. However I've just thought of the other possibility that his eldest daughter married a bloke who agreed to change his name to hers [it is still legally permitted!!] and the estate stayed in the family name. I seem to remember there was some such arrangement in the history of the Spencer line [details lost in the dusty recesses of my brain cell].

        And doncha just love those uncoopertive ancestors who didn't register their life-events? Being a "Sir", there may be some old tome with details of him and his family hidden away somewhere. Keep trying, and good luck

        Ray

        I have tried to find who David;s parents were but there are a number
        of Davids & haven't placed him yet. Or John. I agree, likely there
        is a nephew or somesuch relationship. I shouldn't think estates were
        bought at that time, at least, not in this case as clearly they are
        some sort of family connection. I am waiting for a sasines disc
        also.. But I have found some indication the girls inherited, so not
        sure what happened then, maybe they assigned it. There is also no
        sign of John's marriage, or the christenings of his children. Not a
        co-operative guy.

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hennessy" <ray@...> wrote:

        > Marion [mlarooij] wrote:
        >
        > > I know if that a Sir David HAY, a doctor, was served heir to
        > Auquharneypriot to 1696. He was then in Edinburgh though. Unless
        he
        > had a previous marriage he had only daus. How the John HAY I am
        > interested in got to take possession I have not discovered.
        >
        > Hi Marion
        >
        > Could John have been Sir David's nephew? With inheritance limited
        to the male line, this would be [for those dear dead days] a natural
        succession, much as we might regret it today! It might be worth
        digging back to Sir David's siblings?!?! ;-))

        > Ray

      • Margaret Hector
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
          A big thanks to all those amazing people who go to great lenghts to help paint pictures for me. The maps have been a great help and the accompanying information most useful.
          The discussion going on about the Hays is also fascinating.
          Our James Hay was born 1813-1815 and according to the Census, in Elgin. He was the son of James Hay and Euphemia Jamieson. I have yet to find where these people originated.
          As far as a marriage in 1910, I dont know if it was one of ours. I do know there was a John Hay who was born in 1854 at New Deer. In the 1881 census he was unmarried an living in Aberdeen. I don't know anything esle about him.
          Cheers
          Margaret

        • Jen
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
            Hi,

            Whilst we are on the subject of Hays, please can I add my interest in this name just in case anyone knows anything about my lot.

            I have an Alexander Hay who married Isabella Alexander in Peterhead in 1810. They had at least two daughters, Margaret and Isabella.
            I know that Alexander was a handloom weaver, in Cruden and that Isabella died in 1876 at Blackhill, Cruden at the age of 90. Must have been all that herring and oatmeal!

            I also have Daniels, Robertsons and Craigheads from the Cruden area so would welcome any information on them.

            Cheers,

            Jen

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
              Hi Jen,
              You might already have this info.
              Isabella and Margaret were at the same address.

              1841 census
              Isabella Hay
              age 50
              occ Lab
              born abt 1791
              address Blackhill

              Margaret Hay
              age 25
              born abt 1816
              address Blackhill

              What christian names go with your Daniels, Robertsons and Craigheads, and dates.

              Thanks,
              Catherine

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
                Hi,

                Thanks, I didn't have that one as I haven't had time to devote to research since the 1841 cenus went online. Or, to be honest, because I have been finding a friend's Westmorland ancestry instead of doing my own.

                My Daniels go back to John Daniel who married Janet Robertson in 1763 in Cruden. He was a hand loom weaver. Their son, William, was born in 1772 in Port Errol and married Christian Robertson, born 1784, Cruden and daughter of James Robertson and Elizabeth (surname something illegible on Christian's death certificate). So I have two lots of Robertsons who may or may not have been brother and sister.

                William Daniel ( occupation shoemaker) and Christian had a son, James, born 1810c and he married Margaret Hay. He was a farmer and he died 1892 at Willow Cottage, Coldwell, Cruden.

                James Daniel and Margaret Hay had a daughter, Margaret who married Joseph Milne, which is almost as tricky to handle as my selection of John and William Smiths. The Milne branch also gives me Birnie, Mitchel, Walker and McKenzie mostly in the Strichen, Lonmay, Tyrie areas.

                My Craigheads start ( well obviously not, but in my tree it's as far as I have gone) with Margaret Craighead who married Charles Alexander 1775, Cruden. Charles was a fisherman but that's absolutely all I know about them and that only because of their daughter Isabella living to such a grand old age and to the wonderful Scottish system of naming both parents and occupations on a death certificate. I can't tell you how much I wish the English did likewise.

                Is that more than enough information? I'd love to hear from anyone who may be connected to these families.

                Regards,

                Jen

                PS. There is something odd going on in the world - it is hot in Cumbria. That can't be right.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
                  1.2.1 Isabella KELMAN

                  Illegitimate son by George MILNE:

                  1.2.1.1 John Alexander Kelman MILNE bpt St Fergus 25
                  April 1846

                  m Margaret HUTCHESON 1 May
                  1870 Crimond

                  .2.1.1 John Alexander Kelman MILNE m Margaret
                  MUTCHESON 1 May 1870
                  Crimond

                  1.2.1.1.1 Robert HUTCHESON b 14 May 1868 Crimond
                  [illegitimate son of
                  Margaret HUTCHESON & unnamed father, known as Robert
                  MILNE]

                  1.2.1.1.2 John Kelman MILNE or HUTCHESON b 23 April
                  1870 Crimond

                  1.2.1.1.3 George Brown MILNE b 9 July 1873 Peterhead

                  1.2.1.1.4 Alexandrina MILNE born c. 1877 Peterhead

                  1.2.1.1.5 James MILNE born c. 1879 Inverurie

                  1851 census: Keyhead, St Fergus

                  John Kelman 60 b Crimond, farmer 4 ac & ag lab

                  wife Mary Kelman 50 b Cruden

                  daur Jean Kelman 13 b St Fergus

                  son James Kelman 9 b St Fergus

                  gson John A.K. Milne 5 b St Fergus

                  881 census: 67 West High Street, Inverurie

                  John A.K. Milne 35 shoemaker b Crimond

                  wife Margaret Milne 35 b Crimond

                  son Robert Milne 12 scholar b Crimond

                  son John Milne 10 scholar b Crimond