Re: [Peterhead] Re: Auqharney and Auchleuchries

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
      Hi Marion

      Auquharney House doesn't show on Thomson's 1832 map. Although he was unreliable in naming locations and the routes of roads, he generally seems to have got major country houses right [with a pretty little picture of a stylised house]. There is nothing on his map between Oldtown/Earlseat and what is now Mains of Auquharney which shows a number of scattered buildings, labelled as "Aquharnies". This generally seems to be his way of showing crofts and cottages scattered over a farm with no attempt at a realistic portrayal of actual buildings.

      On the other hand, Thomson places Earlseat south of Oldtown which is the reverse of the relationship of their present locations!! So while Thomson suggests that Auquharney House is post 1832, it is a bit risky to assume this to be "fact". It may be that the main farm not the House was the site you are looking for - but it may not!!

      Confusing!! Sorry, but it illustrates how we have to be careful when trying to "locate" our ancestral homes.

      Ray

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
        Hi Margaret and all those interested in the Mill
        The Mill of Auquharney was located on the creek immediately west of the
        farm, Mains of Auquharney. The farm remains and can be looked up on the
        Ordinance web site under their "Get-a map" service. Remnants of the
        mill wall and crofters house remain and are being preserved by the new
        owner as he builds his new house nearby. I found its location by on a
        historical map that I found on the Ordinance Survey website about a
        year ago. I looked today but they seem to have redesigned the site and
        the map itself did not display. One can order the map online though.

        Margaret, I would be interested in information on the Hay family, as
        there is a Rollo and Hay marriage at the turn of the century - 1910?

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Margaret Hector" <akoonah@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, and especially Bob,
        > I am interested in the Mill of Auquharney.
        > On the night of the 1891 Census James HAY Head (76) Woolmill Manager,
        Jane HAY Wife (77), and their granddaughter, Elizabeth H RAMAGE (16)
        were living at Mill of Auquharney.
        > Does anyone have any history of the Mill at that time? How far from
        Ardallie would the Mill be?
        > Perhaps someone might even have some knowledge of this family!
        > Cheers
        > Margaret
        > Western Australia

      • mlarooij
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 12, 2006
          Thanks Ray,
          Every little helps, if at least to sort out the mental picture..all
          I know if that a Sir David HAY, a doctor, was served heir to
          Auquharneypriot to 1696. He was then in Edinburgh though. Unless he
          had a previous marriage he had only daus. How the John HAY I am
          interested in got to take possession I have not discovered. Or the
          beginning date but until the mid 1750s. The current House might be a
          much later date.
          Marion

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hennessy" <ray@...> wrote:

          > Hi Marion
          >
          > Auquharney House doesn't show on Thomson's 1832 map. Although he
          was unreliable in naming locations and the routes of roads, he
          generally seems to have got major country houses right [with a
          pretty little picture of a stylised house]. There is nothing on his
          map between Oldtown/Earlseat and what is now Mains of Auquharney
          which shows a number of scattered buildings, labelled
          as "Aquharnies". This generally seems to be his way of showing
          crofts and cottages scattered over a farm with no attempt at a
          realistic portrayal of actual buildings.

          > On the other hand, Thomson places Earlseat south of Oldtown which
          is the reverse of the relationship of their present locations!! So
          while Thomson suggests that Auquharney House is post 1832, it is a
          bit risky to assume this to be "fact". It may be that the main farm
          not the House was the site you are looking for - but it may not!!

          > Confusing!! Sorry, but it illustrates how we have to be careful
          when trying to "locate" our ancestral homes.

          > Ray

        • Ray Hennessy
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 12, 2006
            Marion [mlarooij] wrote:

            > I know if that a Sir David HAY, a doctor, was served heir to
            Auquharneypriot to 1696. He was then in Edinburgh though. Unless he
            had a previous marriage he had only daus. How the John HAY I am
            interested in got to take possession I have not discovered.

            Hi Marion

            Could John have been Sir David's nephew? With inheritance limited to the male line, this would be [for those dear dead days] a natural succession, much as we might regret it today! It might be worth digging back to Sir David's siblings?!?! ;-))

            Ray

          • mlarooij
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 12, 2006
              Hi Ray,
              I have tried to find who David;s parents were but there are a number
              of Davids & haven't placed him yet. Or John. I agree, likely there
              is a nephew or somesuch relationship. I shouldn't think estates were
              bought at that time, at least, not in this case as clearly they are
              some sort of family connection. I am waiting for a sasines disc
              also.. But I have found some indication the girls inherited, so not
              sure what happened then, maybe they assigned it. There is also no
              sign of John's marriage, or the christenings of his children. Not a
              co-operative guy.

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hennessy" <ray@...> wrote:

              > Marion [mlarooij] wrote:
              >
              > > I know if that a Sir David HAY, a doctor, was served heir to
              > Auquharneypriot to 1696. He was then in Edinburgh though. Unless
              he
              > had a previous marriage he had only daus. How the John HAY I am
              > interested in got to take possession I have not discovered.
              >
              > Hi Marion
              >
              > Could John have been Sir David's nephew? With inheritance limited
              to the male line, this would be [for those dear dead days] a natural
              succession, much as we might regret it today! It might be worth
              digging back to Sir David's siblings?!?! ;-))

              > Ray

            • Ray Hennessy
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
                Hi Marion

                Yes there are well documented cases of families in the nobility passing estates down through the female line but they were the exception. Your case looks like it might a male inheritance. However I've just thought of the other possibility that his eldest daughter married a bloke who agreed to change his name to hers [it is still legally permitted!!] and the estate stayed in the family name. I seem to remember there was some such arrangement in the history of the Spencer line [details lost in the dusty recesses of my brain cell].

                And doncha just love those uncoopertive ancestors who didn't register their life-events? Being a "Sir", there may be some old tome with details of him and his family hidden away somewhere. Keep trying, and good luck

                Ray

                I have tried to find who David;s parents were but there are a number
                of Davids & haven't placed him yet. Or John. I agree, likely there
                is a nephew or somesuch relationship. I shouldn't think estates were
                bought at that time, at least, not in this case as clearly they are
                some sort of family connection. I am waiting for a sasines disc
                also.. But I have found some indication the girls inherited, so not
                sure what happened then, maybe they assigned it. There is also no
                sign of John's marriage, or the christenings of his children. Not a
                co-operative guy.

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hennessy" <ray@...> wrote:

                > Marion [mlarooij] wrote:
                >
                > > I know if that a Sir David HAY, a doctor, was served heir to
                > Auquharneypriot to 1696. He was then in Edinburgh though. Unless
                he
                > had a previous marriage he had only daus. How the John HAY I am
                > interested in got to take possession I have not discovered.
                >
                > Hi Marion
                >
                > Could John have been Sir David's nephew? With inheritance limited
                to the male line, this would be [for those dear dead days] a natural
                succession, much as we might regret it today! It might be worth
                digging back to Sir David's siblings?!?! ;-))

                > Ray

              • Margaret Hector
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
                  A big thanks to all those amazing people who go to great lenghts to help paint pictures for me. The maps have been a great help and the accompanying information most useful.
                  The discussion going on about the Hays is also fascinating.
                  Our James Hay was born 1813-1815 and according to the Census, in Elgin. He was the son of James Hay and Euphemia Jamieson. I have yet to find where these people originated.
                  As far as a marriage in 1910, I dont know if it was one of ours. I do know there was a John Hay who was born in 1854 at New Deer. In the 1881 census he was unmarried an living in Aberdeen. I don't know anything esle about him.
                  Cheers
                  Margaret

                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
                    Hi,

                    Whilst we are on the subject of Hays, please can I add my interest in this name just in case anyone knows anything about my lot.

                    I have an Alexander Hay who married Isabella Alexander in Peterhead in 1810. They had at least two daughters, Margaret and Isabella.
                    I know that Alexander was a handloom weaver, in Cruden and that Isabella died in 1876 at Blackhill, Cruden at the age of 90. Must have been all that herring and oatmeal!

                    I also have Daniels, Robertsons and Craigheads from the Cruden area so would welcome any information on them.

                    Cheers,

                    Jen

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
                      Hi Jen,
                      You might already have this info.
                      Isabella and Margaret were at the same address.

                      1841 census
                      Isabella Hay
                      age 50
                      occ Lab
                      born abt 1791
                      address Blackhill

                      Margaret Hay
                      age 25
                      born abt 1816
                      address Blackhill

                      What christian names go with your Daniels, Robertsons and Craigheads, and dates.

                      Thanks,
                      Catherine

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
                        Hi,

                        Thanks, I didn't have that one as I haven't had time to devote to research since the 1841 cenus went online. Or, to be honest, because I have been finding a friend's Westmorland ancestry instead of doing my own.

                        My Daniels go back to John Daniel who married Janet Robertson in 1763 in Cruden. He was a hand loom weaver. Their son, William, was born in 1772 in Port Errol and married Christian Robertson, born 1784, Cruden and daughter of James Robertson and Elizabeth (surname something illegible on Christian's death certificate). So I have two lots of Robertsons who may or may not have been brother and sister.

                        William Daniel ( occupation shoemaker) and Christian had a son, James, born 1810c and he married Margaret Hay. He was a farmer and he died 1892 at Willow Cottage, Coldwell, Cruden.

                        James Daniel and Margaret Hay had a daughter, Margaret who married Joseph Milne, which is almost as tricky to handle as my selection of John and William Smiths. The Milne branch also gives me Birnie, Mitchel, Walker and McKenzie mostly in the Strichen, Lonmay, Tyrie areas.

                        My Craigheads start ( well obviously not, but in my tree it's as far as I have gone) with Margaret Craighead who married Charles Alexander 1775, Cruden. Charles was a fisherman but that's absolutely all I know about them and that only because of their daughter Isabella living to such a grand old age and to the wonderful Scottish system of naming both parents and occupations on a death certificate. I can't tell you how much I wish the English did likewise.

                        Is that more than enough information? I'd love to hear from anyone who may be connected to these families.

                        Regards,

                        Jen

                        PS. There is something odd going on in the world - it is hot in Cumbria. That can't be right.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
                          1.2.1 Isabella KELMAN

                          Illegitimate son by George MILNE:

                          1.2.1.1 John Alexander Kelman MILNE bpt St Fergus 25
                          April 1846

                          m Margaret HUTCHESON 1 May
                          1870 Crimond

                          .2.1.1 John Alexander Kelman MILNE m Margaret
                          MUTCHESON 1 May 1870
                          Crimond

                          1.2.1.1.1 Robert HUTCHESON b 14 May 1868 Crimond
                          [illegitimate son of
                          Margaret HUTCHESON & unnamed father, known as Robert
                          MILNE]

                          1.2.1.1.2 John Kelman MILNE or HUTCHESON b 23 April
                          1870 Crimond

                          1.2.1.1.3 George Brown MILNE b 9 July 1873 Peterhead

                          1.2.1.1.4 Alexandrina MILNE born c. 1877 Peterhead

                          1.2.1.1.5 James MILNE born c. 1879 Inverurie

                          1851 census: Keyhead, St Fergus

                          John Kelman 60 b Crimond, farmer 4 ac & ag lab

                          wife Mary Kelman 50 b Cruden

                          daur Jean Kelman 13 b St Fergus

                          son James Kelman 9 b St Fergus

                          gson John A.K. Milne 5 b St Fergus

                          881 census: 67 West High Street, Inverurie

                          John A.K. Milne 35 shoemaker b Crimond

                          wife Margaret Milne 35 b Crimond

                          son Robert Milne 12 scholar b Crimond

                          son John Milne 10 scholar b Crimond