Re: [Peterhead] Imlay and Thom

  • Allan Harrop
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
      Hi there,
      What a very small world.
      My Gr Grandfather, Alexander Kinghorn and his family were in Auquharney, Cotton of Oldtown, Ardally parish at the 1871 Census.
      I have already made a neighbourly connection with Hester's family earlier in Logie Buchan.
      I wonder just how many of our ancestors , who worked on the land , and who moved around so often, knew each other.?
      Eileen
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
        I am confused too, but then I always have been.. I am interested in the
        Auquharney House which was there c1750. Is that the one which is now a
        nursing home? Or was another built? I have tried to find a photo on the
        web with no luck. Thanks to this correspondence I am somewhat wiser!

        Marion

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, MARGIE DAVIDSON <margiedavidson@...>
        wrote:

        > .
        >
        > Hi Ray,
        >
        > Now I am confused! not an altogether unusual occurence these days. If
        I travel from Hatton up the back road to the main Fraserburgh road then
        I turn left for Ardallie- which makes the mills north- I think. However
        Ardallie is not really a village - there is a pub and a couple of
        houses- it is more of a district as Ardallie school is on the main
        Fraserburgh road but north of the pub.
        > The mill opposite the entrance to Auquharney House nursing home can be
        clearly seen - I am surprised that it is listed as mill of Auchleuchries
        as that is the name of the district on the other side of the main
        Fraserburgh road. Waukmill Cottage is still there and I presume that is
        where the mill was although I doubt it is the same mill as Waukmill,
        Auchmacoy as Auchmacoy estate is further away on the other side of the
        main Peterhead road. Auchmacoy House is the home of the head of the
        Buchan clan - not sure who that is nowadays but it is still a large
        productive estate set in a beautiful area - lot of shooting game and
        fishing. You can't drive through the road from the turn off to
        Collieston to the new roundabout at Ellon without seeing at least half a
        dozen pheasant. But I digress. On my return home I will ensure that I
        check my history notes then drive up to the mills and take some
        photographs.

        > I_,_._,___
        >

        > Margie

      • Ray Hennessy
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
          Eileen [at a.harrop@... ] wrote:

          My Gr Grandfather, Alexander Kinghorn and his family were in Auquharney, Cotton of Oldtown, Ardally parish at the 1871 Census.

          I wonder just how many of our ancestors , who worked on the land , and who moved around so often, knew each other.?

          Hi Eileen

          Oldtown is shown on the 1832 map which is some time before the establishment of Auquharney House. There is, on the 2002 map, an "Oldtown Croft" which might have been your ancestor's "Cotton of Oldtown". You probably know this, but, for completeness, it can be found just north of Oldtown at NK017388. see multimap at http://tinyurl.com/kzluw where it is shown as an unnamed building.

          Regarding how well the folk knew one another, we think each family might have had a very small circle of friends and neighbours. In researching my wife's family, nearly all from rural Aberdeenshire, we keep coming across the same names. There seems to be a very restricted gene-pool!!! Oddly, others researching in the same parishes have equally restricted name sets but there isn't much overlap.

          This suggests that folk kept to the families they knew, by and large. And the half-yearly feeing system for Ag Labs might have meant that teams of workers who knew one another's strengths might have kept together if they moved round the farms. Some individuals and groups [or teams] seem to have settled on a farm for a number of decades. We have one family as farm workers on one farm in Methlick for about 130 years [1730-1860] and the same names of witnesses keep cropping up throughout that time.

          Ray Hennessy

        • Ray Hennessy
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
            Hi Marion

            Auquharney House doesn't show on Thomson's 1832 map. Although he was unreliable in naming locations and the routes of roads, he generally seems to have got major country houses right [with a pretty little picture of a stylised house]. There is nothing on his map between Oldtown/Earlseat and what is now Mains of Auquharney which shows a number of scattered buildings, labelled as "Aquharnies". This generally seems to be his way of showing crofts and cottages scattered over a farm with no attempt at a realistic portrayal of actual buildings.

            On the other hand, Thomson places Earlseat south of Oldtown which is the reverse of the relationship of their present locations!! So while Thomson suggests that Auquharney House is post 1832, it is a bit risky to assume this to be "fact". It may be that the main farm not the House was the site you are looking for - but it may not!!

            Confusing!! Sorry, but it illustrates how we have to be careful when trying to "locate" our ancestral homes.

            Ray

            wrote:

            > .
            >
            > Hi Ray,
            >
            > Now I am confused! not an altogether unusual occurence these days. If
            I travel from Hatton up the back road to the main Fraserburgh road then
            I turn left for Ardallie- which makes the mills north- I think. However
            Ardallie is not really a village - there is a pub and a couple of
            houses- it is more of a district as Ardallie school is on the main
            Fraserburgh road but north of the pub.
            > The mill opposite the entrance to Auquharney House nursing home can be
            clearly seen - I am surprised that it is listed as mill of Auchleuchries
            as that is the name of the district on the other side of the main
            Fraserburgh road. Waukmill Cottage is still there and I presume that is
            where the mill was although I doubt it is the same mill as Waukmill,
            Auchmacoy as Auchmacoy estate is further away on the other side of the
            main Peterhead road. Auchmacoy House is the home of the head of the
            Buchan clan - not sure who that is nowadays but it is still a large
            productive estate set in a beautiful area - lot of shooting game and
            fishing. You can't drive through the road from the turn off to
            Collieston to the new roundabout at Ellon without seeing at least half a
            dozen pheasant. But I digress. On my return home I will ensure that I
            check my history notes then drive up to the mills and take some
            photographs.

            > I_,_._,___
            >

            > Margie

          • rsk4rivers
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
              Hi Margaret and all those interested in the Mill
              The Mill of Auquharney was located on the creek immediately west of the
              farm, Mains of Auquharney. The farm remains and can be looked up on the
              Ordinance web site under their "Get-a map" service. Remnants of the
              mill wall and crofters house remain and are being preserved by the new
              owner as he builds his new house nearby. I found its location by on a
              historical map that I found on the Ordinance Survey website about a
              year ago. I looked today but they seem to have redesigned the site and
              the map itself did not display. One can order the map online though.

              Margaret, I would be interested in information on the Hay family, as
              there is a Rollo and Hay marriage at the turn of the century - 1910?

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Margaret Hector" <akoonah@...> wrote:

              > Hi all, and especially Bob,
              > I am interested in the Mill of Auquharney.
              > On the night of the 1891 Census James HAY Head (76) Woolmill Manager,
              Jane HAY Wife (77), and their granddaughter, Elizabeth H RAMAGE (16)
              were living at Mill of Auquharney.
              > Does anyone have any history of the Mill at that time? How far from
              Ardallie would the Mill be?
              > Perhaps someone might even have some knowledge of this family!
              > Cheers
              > Margaret
              > Western Australia

            • mlarooij
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 12, 2006
                Thanks Ray,
                Every little helps, if at least to sort out the mental picture..all
                I know if that a Sir David HAY, a doctor, was served heir to
                Auquharneypriot to 1696. He was then in Edinburgh though. Unless he
                had a previous marriage he had only daus. How the John HAY I am
                interested in got to take possession I have not discovered. Or the
                beginning date but until the mid 1750s. The current House might be a
                much later date.
                Marion

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hennessy" <ray@...> wrote:

                > Hi Marion
                >
                > Auquharney House doesn't show on Thomson's 1832 map. Although he
                was unreliable in naming locations and the routes of roads, he
                generally seems to have got major country houses right [with a
                pretty little picture of a stylised house]. There is nothing on his
                map between Oldtown/Earlseat and what is now Mains of Auquharney
                which shows a number of scattered buildings, labelled
                as "Aquharnies". This generally seems to be his way of showing
                crofts and cottages scattered over a farm with no attempt at a
                realistic portrayal of actual buildings.

                > On the other hand, Thomson places Earlseat south of Oldtown which
                is the reverse of the relationship of their present locations!! So
                while Thomson suggests that Auquharney House is post 1832, it is a
                bit risky to assume this to be "fact". It may be that the main farm
                not the House was the site you are looking for - but it may not!!

                > Confusing!! Sorry, but it illustrates how we have to be careful
                when trying to "locate" our ancestral homes.

                > Ray

              • Ray Hennessy
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Marion [mlarooij] wrote:

                  > I know if that a Sir David HAY, a doctor, was served heir to
                  Auquharneypriot to 1696. He was then in Edinburgh though. Unless he
                  had a previous marriage he had only daus. How the John HAY I am
                  interested in got to take possession I have not discovered.

                  Hi Marion

                  Could John have been Sir David's nephew? With inheritance limited to the male line, this would be [for those dear dead days] a natural succession, much as we might regret it today! It might be worth digging back to Sir David's siblings?!?! ;-))

                  Ray

                • mlarooij
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 12, 2006
                    Hi Ray,
                    I have tried to find who David;s parents were but there are a number
                    of Davids & haven't placed him yet. Or John. I agree, likely there
                    is a nephew or somesuch relationship. I shouldn't think estates were
                    bought at that time, at least, not in this case as clearly they are
                    some sort of family connection. I am waiting for a sasines disc
                    also.. But I have found some indication the girls inherited, so not
                    sure what happened then, maybe they assigned it. There is also no
                    sign of John's marriage, or the christenings of his children. Not a
                    co-operative guy.

                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hennessy" <ray@...> wrote:

                    > Marion [mlarooij] wrote:
                    >
                    > > I know if that a Sir David HAY, a doctor, was served heir to
                    > Auquharneypriot to 1696. He was then in Edinburgh though. Unless
                    he
                    > had a previous marriage he had only daus. How the John HAY I am
                    > interested in got to take possession I have not discovered.
                    >
                    > Hi Marion
                    >
                    > Could John have been Sir David's nephew? With inheritance limited
                    to the male line, this would be [for those dear dead days] a natural
                    succession, much as we might regret it today! It might be worth
                    digging back to Sir David's siblings?!?! ;-))

                    > Ray

                  • Ray Hennessy
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
                      Hi Marion

                      Yes there are well documented cases of families in the nobility passing estates down through the female line but they were the exception. Your case looks like it might a male inheritance. However I've just thought of the other possibility that his eldest daughter married a bloke who agreed to change his name to hers [it is still legally permitted!!] and the estate stayed in the family name. I seem to remember there was some such arrangement in the history of the Spencer line [details lost in the dusty recesses of my brain cell].

                      And doncha just love those uncoopertive ancestors who didn't register their life-events? Being a "Sir", there may be some old tome with details of him and his family hidden away somewhere. Keep trying, and good luck

                      Ray

                      I have tried to find who David;s parents were but there are a number
                      of Davids & haven't placed him yet. Or John. I agree, likely there
                      is a nephew or somesuch relationship. I shouldn't think estates were
                      bought at that time, at least, not in this case as clearly they are
                      some sort of family connection. I am waiting for a sasines disc
                      also.. But I have found some indication the girls inherited, so not
                      sure what happened then, maybe they assigned it. There is also no
                      sign of John's marriage, or the christenings of his children. Not a
                      co-operative guy.

                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hennessy" <ray@...> wrote:

                      > Marion [mlarooij] wrote:
                      >
                      > > I know if that a Sir David HAY, a doctor, was served heir to
                      > Auquharneypriot to 1696. He was then in Edinburgh though. Unless
                      he
                      > had a previous marriage he had only daus. How the John HAY I am
                      > interested in got to take possession I have not discovered.
                      >
                      > Hi Marion
                      >
                      > Could John have been Sir David's nephew? With inheritance limited
                      to the male line, this would be [for those dear dead days] a natural
                      succession, much as we might regret it today! It might be worth
                      digging back to Sir David's siblings?!?! ;-))

                      > Ray

                    • Margaret Hector
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
                        A big thanks to all those amazing people who go to great lenghts to help paint pictures for me. The maps have been a great help and the accompanying information most useful.
                        The discussion going on about the Hays is also fascinating.
                        Our James Hay was born 1813-1815 and according to the Census, in Elgin. He was the son of James Hay and Euphemia Jamieson. I have yet to find where these people originated.
                        As far as a marriage in 1910, I dont know if it was one of ours. I do know there was a John Hay who was born in 1854 at New Deer. In the 1881 census he was unmarried an living in Aberdeen. I don't know anything esle about him.
                        Cheers
                        Margaret

                      • Jen
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
                          Hi,

                          Whilst we are on the subject of Hays, please can I add my interest in this name just in case anyone knows anything about my lot.

                          I have an Alexander Hay who married Isabella Alexander in Peterhead in 1810. They had at least two daughters, Margaret and Isabella.
                          I know that Alexander was a handloom weaver, in Cruden and that Isabella died in 1876 at Blackhill, Cruden at the age of 90. Must have been all that herring and oatmeal!

                          I also have Daniels, Robertsons and Craigheads from the Cruden area so would welcome any information on them.

                          Cheers,

                          Jen

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
                            Hi Jen,
                            You might already have this info.
                            Isabella and Margaret were at the same address.

                            1841 census
                            Isabella Hay
                            age 50
                            occ Lab
                            born abt 1791
                            address Blackhill

                            Margaret Hay
                            age 25
                            born abt 1816
                            address Blackhill

                            What christian names go with your Daniels, Robertsons and Craigheads, and dates.

                            Thanks,
                            Catherine

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
                              Hi,

                              Thanks, I didn't have that one as I haven't had time to devote to research since the 1841 cenus went online. Or, to be honest, because I have been finding a friend's Westmorland ancestry instead of doing my own.

                              My Daniels go back to John Daniel who married Janet Robertson in 1763 in Cruden. He was a hand loom weaver. Their son, William, was born in 1772 in Port Errol and married Christian Robertson, born 1784, Cruden and daughter of James Robertson and Elizabeth (surname something illegible on Christian's death certificate). So I have two lots of Robertsons who may or may not have been brother and sister.

                              William Daniel ( occupation shoemaker) and Christian had a son, James, born 1810c and he married Margaret Hay. He was a farmer and he died 1892 at Willow Cottage, Coldwell, Cruden.

                              James Daniel and Margaret Hay had a daughter, Margaret who married Joseph Milne, which is almost as tricky to handle as my selection of John and William Smiths. The Milne branch also gives me Birnie, Mitchel, Walker and McKenzie mostly in the Strichen, Lonmay, Tyrie areas.

                              My Craigheads start ( well obviously not, but in my tree it's as far as I have gone) with Margaret Craighead who married Charles Alexander 1775, Cruden. Charles was a fisherman but that's absolutely all I know about them and that only because of their daughter Isabella living to such a grand old age and to the wonderful Scottish system of naming both parents and occupations on a death certificate. I can't tell you how much I wish the English did likewise.

                              Is that more than enough information? I'd love to hear from anyone who may be connected to these families.

                              Regards,

                              Jen

                              PS. There is something odd going on in the world - it is hot in Cumbria. That can't be right.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 14, 2006
                                1.2.1 Isabella KELMAN

                                Illegitimate son by George MILNE:

                                1.2.1.1 John Alexander Kelman MILNE bpt St Fergus 25
                                April 1846

                                m Margaret HUTCHESON 1 May
                                1870 Crimond

                                .2.1.1 John Alexander Kelman MILNE m Margaret
                                MUTCHESON 1 May 1870
                                Crimond

                                1.2.1.1.1 Robert HUTCHESON b 14 May 1868 Crimond
                                [illegitimate son of
                                Margaret HUTCHESON & unnamed father, known as Robert
                                MILNE]

                                1.2.1.1.2 John Kelman MILNE or HUTCHESON b 23 April
                                1870 Crimond

                                1.2.1.1.3 George Brown MILNE b 9 July 1873 Peterhead

                                1.2.1.1.4 Alexandrina MILNE born c. 1877 Peterhead

                                1.2.1.1.5 James MILNE born c. 1879 Inverurie

                                1851 census: Keyhead, St Fergus

                                John Kelman 60 b Crimond, farmer 4 ac & ag lab

                                wife Mary Kelman 50 b Cruden

                                daur Jean Kelman 13 b St Fergus

                                son James Kelman 9 b St Fergus

                                gson John A.K. Milne 5 b St Fergus

                                881 census: 67 West High Street, Inverurie

                                John A.K. Milne 35 shoemaker b Crimond

                                wife Margaret Milne 35 b Crimond

                                son Robert Milne 12 scholar b Crimond

                                son John Milne 10 scholar b Crimond