Ogston/Thomson/Anderson in Peterhead

  • Grace
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2006
      We are looking for Ogston/Thomson/Anderson monuments
      in
      Peterhead.

      This is a bit of a puzzle and we sure wish we were
      more local. On our last visit to the area we found
      the grave of cousin, Jimmy Ogston Thomson who was
      buried in Strichen in 1963. The winter afternoon light
      at the kirkyard was not the greatest and what we think
      that the stone says is:

      “Erected by James O. Thomson, 10 Market Terrace,
      Strichen, in memory of his uncle Alexander Thomson,
      died at Strichen, 15th May 1928 and his Aunt Amina
      Burnett, died at Fraserburgh, 10th Nov 1939, their
      sons John B. Thomson, Died in Canada, 5th Dec 1927,
      William Thomson, died at Kinglasser Croft ?? July
      1933.

      Also in memory of Jane Ogston, died 1886. James
      Ogston, died 1889, William Thomson died 1932 [or
      1902]? and his wife, Margaret Ogston, died 1908 [or
      1936] and their son James Thomson, died 1890 and
      interred in Peterhead Churchyard. Also the above James
      O. Thomson, died at Strichen 20th Aug 1963
      Ever remembered.”

      As a note, some of the above dates appear to be from
      memory, as
      they don't actually match the death certificate
      information we
      have now located.

      I wonder if anyone here might already know where, if
      at all, the monuments mentioned might be in Peterhead?
      Ideally
      we’d like to be locate them and/or transcribe the
      monuments
      for William Thomson and wife Jane Ogston.

      We are also trying to find burial/monument information
      for Jimmy O's parents, Mackie Sangster Thomson and
      Elspet Bannerman Anderson. Mackie is another son of
      William Thomson and Jane Ogston. Interestingly,
      neither are mentioned on the Strichen monument we
      found. As we also didn't locate them in the Strichen
      kirkyard, we suspect perhaps instead that they might
      also be buried
      in Peterhead. Mackie Thomson died 29 Dec 1919 and
      Elspet [also known as Elsie] died 23 April 1953 both
      in Strichen.

      Any insights or pointers or better would be greatly
      appreciated

      Thanks a lot

      http://mail.yahoo.com