James Hay

  • george4705@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2006
      Hi Margaret I am looking at my Hay connection William Hay/ Margaret Davidson

      m 1851 My William has a broper James b 1832

      Do you know James birthdate. I have film from LDS OPR records (for one more
      wk.) and can do a lookup for you if you know his DOB. The record will give
      fathers name and wittness's. What was his age given on 1891 census?

      george

    • Margaret Hector
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2006
        Hi,
        Our William HAY, a shoemaker, son of James HAY was born in Peterhead on 26 February 1812. He married Margaret BOYD in Peterhead in 1845. They had a number of children: Catherine b 1846, Anne b 1847, James b 1849, Margaret b 1850, William b 1851 - d 1856, Andrew b 1853 and Isabella b & d 1857.
        I have not investigated any further yet.

        Our James HAY ( a different family altogether) was born in Elgin, Scotland between 1813 and 1816 depnding on what age is taken on the death certificate and Census details. His parents were James HAY and Euphemia JAMIESON. James married Jane SMITH ( born about 1814 at Kinghorn or Langholm, Dumfries. Jane was the daughter of John SMITH and Henrietta GREIVE - she died in Aberdeen on 25 July, 1900.
        James died in Aberdeen on 10 December,1894.
        At the time of the 1891 Census the family was at the Mill of Auquharney.
        So it would seem that here we have still more James HAYs.
        Cheers
        Margaret

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15, 2006
          Hi Margaret,

          As far as I can make out John HAY had the estate of Auquharney, but there seems no clear line of inheritance, then it was sold.

          There was a connection to Annan, Dumfries, but no children there as far as I know. The HAYs are always intermarrying which doesn't help.

          Happy Easter everyone.