Re: [Peterhead] Hay's Farm

  • MARGIE DAVIDSON
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2006
      jeansimb <jeansimb@...> wrote:

      (?). Anyone have further
      information on this - I have been told it may be the site of the
      Maritime Museum at the Lido.
      Doubt it - the one at Peterhead was Invernettie brick works however there was a brickworks in Cruden- more likely. The earlier one was on the iste of the present garage in Cruden Bay the later one at the site of the present unused one. Due to be a new housing estate by the look of things.

      Hay Farm as you can see from the list is a farm near Whinnyfold - the last one on the left before the village. Most of the inhabitants were fishermen or farmers -some historians reckon boht - Peter Anson and James Coull both speak about crofter/fishermen in their books.

      Some listers make mention of Alexander Hay- one Alexander - a bit later than the dates mentioned- was a shareholder in many of the Peterhead fishing boats during and after the war. His sister married a Forman- Star of Bethlehem and Fruitful Bough being two of the boats.

      Also there was a Garden link with other farms in this area,

      ---------------------------------

      Margie

    • jeansimb
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2006
        Many thanks for the info - I'll need to go and have a look before
        they decide to strat building Jean--- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com,
        MARGIE DAVIDSON <margiedavidson@...> wrote:

        > jeansimb <jeansimb@...> wrote:
        >

        > (?). Anyone have further
        > information on this - I have been told it may be the site of the
        > Maritime Museum at the Lido.
        > Doubt it - the one at Peterhead was Invernettie brick works
        however there was a brickworks in Cruden- more likely. The earlier
        one was on the iste of the present garage in Cruden Bay the later
        one at the site of the present unused one. Due to be a new housing
        estate by the look of things.

        > Hay Farm as you can see from the list is a farm near Whinnyfold -
        the last one on the left before the village. Most of the
        inhabitants were fishermen or farmers -some historians reckon boht -
        Peter Anson and James Coull both speak about crofter/fishermen in
        their books.

        > Some listers make mention of Alexander Hay- one Alexander - a
        bit later than the dates mentioned- was a shareholder in many of the
        Peterhead fishing boats during and after the war. His sister married
        a Forman- Star of Bethlehem and Fruitful Bough being two of the
        boats.

        > Also there was a Garden link with other farms in this area,

        Service.