Re: [Peterhead] James Sutherland's family

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2006
      Hi Helen,

      Scotlandspeople is the best place to search.
      If James was 28 when he got married in 1889 then that would make his birth date 1859 give or take 1 year.
      1855 and onwards, births, marriages and deaths were compulsary, so his birth should to be there.

      Scotlandspeople has the 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 census's online. You can view the image and print it off. There is a charge by credit card, I've used it many, many times and had no problem.

      James would be between 2 and 3 years old on the 1861 census, the 1871 census between 12 and 13, this would give you an idea of where they were living. On the 1891 census he would be married and in Dundee.

      Have you posted or joined the Angus site, perhaps someone there is related to the Sutherland or Devine names.
      Scotlandspeople has marriages up until 1930 you could perhaps find the marriages of James and Annie.

      Best wishes,
      Catherine

      http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk