Re Hay/Hay Farm, Cruden

  • Hazel Stevenson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I have connections with the fishing family HAY of Whinnyfold, Cruden through my distant aunt JANE WATT of Peterhead who married JOHN HAY in Cruden on 13 October 1832.

      I also have a connection to HAY FARM. My 2g grandfather, WILLIAM THOM's first wife HELEN MATTHEW was living there in 1841. Helen had 3 boys, Alexander (1840), William (1843) and James Matthew Thom (1847). She died before 1850, and her sons then lived with their grandparents JAMES and JANET MATTHEW at nearby South Hay Farm.

      I am descended from William Thom's second wife, JESSIE KEITH.

      I would be pleased to hear from anyone who else related to these families.

      Hazel Stevenson

    • Betty Holmes
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
        Good Morning from Canada--I was very interesred re the HAYs and Slains
        Castle.
        My husband's maternal
        Grandparents were from Peterhead. They had some friends called HAY.- if I
        remember correctly they had a son who became a Public Health Physician.
        However the real interest for
        me was re Slains Castle.
        We have some furniture that came from the Castle. When it was closed my
        husband's Grandparents bought furniture there--some of it is now in Canada!
        Betty.
      • M La Rooij
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
          Hi Betty,

          I hope it wasn't Castle sized furniture! Not that I haven't seen some here (New Zealand) which must have taken most of the hold of a ship of the time. Was interested to see they are going to work on the Castle.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
            Hi everyone,
            In our family we have a Jessie KEITH, nee BOYD, who was born in Peterhead in 1809. I have not been able to locate a death record for her and so am wondering if the Jessie KEITH who married William THOM was in fact our Jessie?
            We also have a James HAY who was the son of James HAY and Euphemia JAMIESON who was born about 1813. Do these people ring a bell with anyone?
            Lastly William HAY who married Margaret BOYD in Peterhead in 1845 - does anyone else have a connection with this family?
            Cheers
            Margaret