Re: Alexander Florence

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 1999
      Hi Marie,

      Marie Anne Cooper wrote:

      > Hi Wade,

      > My problem and I wonder if you can throw any light on to it..is
      > 1841 census of Peterhead:-
      >
      > James Florence 41 Blacksmith y for born this area.
      > Mary Florence 34 y
      > Alexander 24 y
      > James 14 y
      > John 12 y
      > Mary 10 y
      > George 6 y
      >
      > No sign of Alexander 1851. Now I find him getting married Sth Australia
      > 1852 at the age of 36. Looks good but I would like to prove this is
      > him. If James is his father he could have only been 17 when Alexander
      > was born and so Mary must be a second wife and it really doesn't
      > add up. Can you suggest anyway I can find out if Alexander was perhaps
      > a younger brother of James and staying with him to help in the work of
      > Blacksmith.

      I repeated the message in the list, as hopefully others might have some
      further suggestions.

      James Florence married Mary Falconer 14/10/1826 Peterhead and had the
      following children, all in Peterhead:
      James 4/3/1827, John 4/3/1829, Mary 9/1/1831, Alexander 25/11/1832,
      George 7/12/1834, Alexander Stevenson 21/5/1837 and William 8/8/1839.

      I don't think James and Mary would have had two more Alexanders if the
      first was still alive. Therefore, the Alexander could be a brother,
      newphew or cousin.

      According to the 1851 census James was born 1800 in Auchterless,
      Aberdeenshire, he died 28/11/1856 parents James Florence and Isabella
      Florence ms Moir.

      Therefore I suggest that you look in Auchterless for an Alexander, with
      a possible connection to the above.