St.Fergus Churchyard

  • Richard Lyon
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27 12:44 PM
      I visited this churchyard in 2003, feeling a little awkward as it is so
      remote from the settlement of St. Fergus, and out in the dunes at the
      end of an agricultural track. Goodness knows what the farm workers
      thought as I made my way out there alone in early May, amidst the
      skylarks and plovers, and spent a couple of hours searching for lost
      sheep from my tree. There was not another soul to be seen apart from
      those driving agricultural machinery around the surrounding fields.

      My direct ancestors ( from around 1840-1890 )had lived at Mains of
      Inverugie and Londerton(?) so I was hoping to find some record of them
      there.

      This churchyard does not appear to be in those yet with a booklet in
      the ANESFHS library. Does anyone know if there is a list of MI's for
      this burial ground and how that may be studied by those at some
      distance away?

      Richard Lyon
    • Hazel Holt
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27 11:43 PM
        Hi Richard,
        I don't know of any list of MI's for St. Fergus but it doesn't mean that there isn't one. You can contact me at hm.holt@... if you need some help from a local as I live in Peterhead.

        Hazel

      • rlyon@beeb.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28 12:51 PM
          Thanks for the offer Hazel, I will bear that in mind when I
          have a firmer list of my lost sheep.

          My G Grandfather + family lived at Mains of Inverugie in
          third quarter of the 19C. He was a farm servant /
          shepherd .At 1881 Census he is a little further north at
          Seatown, Rattray Head.

          Surnames that I would be looking for would be Lyon, Thom,
          Chalmers and Walker, 1840 ish onwards.

          Thanks again

          Richard Lyon
        • Hazel Holt
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28 1:48 PM
            Richard, You said in your last e-mail that you were looking for the surname Chalmers. What area would that be in? You had said before that you had visited St.Fergus Churchyard in 2003, the farm that you passed on the left on the agricultural track down to the churchyard is owned by a Chalmers family.

            Hazel

          • rlyon@beeb.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 29 12:36 AM
              Hazel, thanks for your interest and help.

              My 2 G grandparents are James Lyon ( born c 1824 King Edward-
              d.14.5.1901 Bervie Kincardineshire) and Ann Thom ( born c 1810 St.
              Fergus d. 2/9/1886 St. Fergus ).

              Ann Thom was second wife to James Lyon, there is no record of a
              marriage, but it is thought this took place around 1848 from a note in
              a birth entry of 1855. Ann had two children prior to 1848, 1/ Andrew
              Knoxb. 29.3.1835 Longside, d 18.11.1889 St. Fergus; and 2/ Adam
              Robertson ( b 1844 St. Fergus d 26.5.1926 Ellon ), as far as I can tell
              I think both of these were illegitimate.

              James Lyon's first wife was Elspet Walker whom he married
              17.12.1843 at Fraserburgh, and with whom he had two children.
              Elsewhere on this message board I have posted that I am looking for
              more detail on Elspet Walker as I have no confirmation of her
              parentage ( a possible but unconfirmed from Turriff ). Her two
              children are 1/ Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon ( b 21.6.1846 St. Fergus
              d Jul 1867 St. Fergus buried Peterhead Old Kirkyard Lair index Ref
              111), and 2/ William Walker Lyon ( b. 8.6.1844 St. Fergus d ? ) he, a
              journeyman blacksmith and his wife Elizabeth Ross disappear off the
              records after around 1864 shortly after their marriage of 24.10.1863
              at Aberdour. I have also posted his details on message boards but
              so far no-one has responded. I suspect that either the whole family
              perished in perhaps one of the disease outbreaks that occurred in
              the mid 1860's or alternatively they emigrated to the Americas or
              Australia.

              Ann Thom's parents are James Thom ( born 1784 St. Fergus d
              15.3.1872 St. Fergus ) and Isabella Chalmers ( born c 1788 possibly
              Turriff d.1870 St. Fergus.)

              James Thom's parents are James Thom ( b 15.3.1741, d ? ) and
              Margaret Woodman ( dates unknown ).

              So you can see there is a strong St. Fergus link, hence my
              exploration of the St. Fergus churchyard. Lots of names to look for
              and one or two lost sheep that I continue to try to locate.

              I wonder if the Chalmers family you mention are in any way
              connected to Isabella?

              Many thanks for your interest.

              Richard Lyon
            • rlyon@beeb.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 29 1:17 AM
                Hazel...... a small correction to earlier reply, I muddled one
                generation with another and missed one out !

                The parents of James Thom ( 1784-1872 ) are James Thom ( b 15.3
                1741 St. Fergus, d ? ) and Ann(a) Dinnes ( b 24.7.1752 Lonmay d ?)

                Then the grandparents of James Thom (1784-1872) are James
                Thom and Margaret Woodman who were married 1.06.1731 at
                Peterhead. No other information is known on this couple.

                Apologies for the confusion.

                Richard Lyon