Re: Re Yule

  • traceclip
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2006
      Hello Hazel,
      Wow! Thank you so much for the information. I am already a member
      of the Aberdeen FHS, and was at the Midlands meeting a few weeks
      ago. When my membership came through I am sure there was a
      publications list and I am going to trawl through those available
      (oh dear, excuse the pun please!) and get a copy. I wonder if I can
      get the original at the local library? I will certainly have a try.

      Once again - many thanks
      Helen

      > Hello Helen,
      >
      > In A.R. Buchan's book "The Port of Peterhead" there is a list of
      fishermen and their boats from the Roanheads for 1830 and 1831.
      WILLIAM YOULE was named as master of the "Speedwell" for both
      years. I was interested in this because among his crew in 1831, (6
      men to a boat) were my 3g grandfather and his son, both called JOHN
      WATT. I'm not sure if they were related to William Youle in any
      way as I believe crews were sometimes made up of family groups. The
      other crew members of the Speedwell in 1831 were JOHN HUTCHISON,
      ROBERT SANGSTER and D. ROSS.
      > There was a different crew in 1830.
      >
      > There is a copy of this list in the booklet "Fishing Out of
      Peterhead" published by the Aberdeen and North East F.H.
      Association, but if you can get a look at the original book you will
      see William Youle's signature.