Re: [Peterhead] Genealogy

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2006
      Paula Dixon wrote:

      > My family lived in Hill of Dens for about 100 years but at
      different numbered houses. Does anyone know if this is just
      a village or the name of a road?

      Hi Paula

      I missed this in your original!

      'Hill of Dens' is now a small cluster of buildings next to a
      disused quarry. It is at OS Grid Ref NK076424. You
      can see it on multimap by clicking on:
      http://tinyurl.com/jlcmq

      'Hill of Dens' is shown on the 1896 OS map but unnamed.
      Again it shows as a single building. I would say the name
      'Hill of Dens' represents the building[s] on the hill, not a road

      I feel certain that it was never a village but there might have
      been a few houses alongside the quarry which had numbers
      and these would then be recorded on the Census. If it was
      ever a hamlet in the 19th century, it isn't now.

      There are many other places nearby using the area name 'Dens'.
      The farm [?] named 'Dens' itself is about 2km due north, just
      into Peterhead parish in an area known as 'East Dens'.

      Best wishes

      Ray Hennessy